AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this is for you up-converting experts.

I have a HD tuner sitting in my house and an OPPO on the way. Since the Panny900 only has one HDMI input, which source would you suggest to be plugged into which input and why?

I'm not in the position to get an HDMI switcher yet.

I'm guessing the time usage between HD and DVDs is close to 50/50

Thanks,

Rob

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Er...try both sources with both inputs and see if there is marked difference one way or the other. Obviously if one has a handshake or some other issue then that's not the one to use on HDMI or one might look better than the other on HDMI or component that would sway you.

I guessing that without the same source material it'll be hard to make a determination. Maybe upconverted movie vs same movie over HD.

Otherwise, both being equally better on HDMI I'd likely say Oppo on HDMI as typically when I'm watching DVDs I'm trying for an immersive experience. With HD I'm typically multitasking or just more casual in my viewing.

Nigel

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
The Oppo DV971H is terrible over component so get an HDMI switcher for the best solution. If you are firmly against an HDMI switcher use your HD tuner over component.

Chris

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard
The Oppo DV971H is terrible over component so get an HDMI switcher for the best solution. If you are firmly against an HDMI switcher use your HD tuner over component.

Chris
Chris,

Is it OK over component on a SDTV until I get a HDTV with HDMI input? My old Sony died last night and since I was going to get the Oppo anyway in a few months.....

Thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
Quote:

Chris

The Oppo will be "terrible over component" as it can only feed a 480i signal via component. I would run the Oppo via HDMI, and run your HD tuner via component for the time being.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Ritari
The Oppo will be "terrible over component" as it can only feed a 480i signal via component. I would run the Oppo via HDMI, and run your HD tuner via component for the time being.
But my question:

Is there an inherent problem with the component, or are you guys saying, if at all possible, run it DVI-D to HDMI or DVI on your HDTV set and realize on SDTV you will only get 480i and it is not worth buying this DVD player unless you plan to upgrade?

It will still look good on SDTV, but don't spend the money if you are not going to upgrade to HDTV.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Can you run your HD tuner over component at 720P? If so I would suggest that route. I have compared my HD satellite back to back over component and HDMI and can see no difference.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
"It will still look good on SDTV, but don't spend the money if you are not going to upgrade to HDTV. "

If you are still using the old 27" tv, then dont bother with this DVD player. The minimum should be a 480p projector or plasma.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedurocher
But my question:

Is there an inherent problem with the component, or are you guys saying, if at all possible, run it DVI-D to HDMI or DVI on your HDTV set and realize on SDTV you will only get 480i and it is not worth buying this DVD player unless you plan to upgrade?

It will still look good on SDTV, but don't spend the money if you are not going to upgrade to HDTV.
Based on the reviews I have read, the Oppo DV971H component is bad even for 480i so I would say there is an inherent problem. I would not buy the player to use connected by component.

Chris

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Quote:
Based on the reviews I have read, the Oppo DV971H component is bad even for 480i so I would say there is an inherent problem. I would not buy the player to use connected by component.

Chris
It cannot be much worse that what I have right now, a Sony DVPS365 that does not work at all :D But seriously, the Sony is about 5 years old, is not progressive scan (that I know of), and only had some really neat DTS features. I will be getting the Phillips 30PW9110d/37 in the next month or so, so it won't be a long wait.

Thanks for the input. After reading some of the specs, I would love to think that some firmware may fix this issue, but I doubt it. I will give input once I get the player next week.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedurocher
It cannot be much worse that what I have right now, a Sony DVPS365 that does not work at all :D But seriously, the Sony is about 5 years old, is not progressive scan (that I know of), and only had some really neat DTS features. I will be getting the Phillips 30PW9110d/37 in the next month or so, so it won't be a long wait.

Thanks for the input. After reading some of the specs, I would love to think that some firmware may fix this issue, but I doubt it. I will give input once I get the player next week.

Looks better than the old over component. Can't wait to get it running on the new tv :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.