AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a bit unclear on the way audio is workiing with Arcsoft TMT (or PowerDVD for that matter) and my Soundblaster X-Fi soundcard when playing Blu-Rays. I currently have my soundcard set up to send 6 channel analog out to my HK AVR 740. What is actually responsible for decoding the audio when I select Dolby TrueHD? Does the Arcsoft (or PowerDVD) decoder do this and then send an analog signal to my soundcard which just passes it through? Does the soundcard decode it? Does the soundcard apply any processing? It certainly sounds like I'm getting an improvement in audio when I switch from DTS to TrueHD, I'm just not sure what's responsible for doing what. Thanks in advance for your responses. Links to appropriate articles to read on this would be great as well.

·
Registered
145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slydog75 /forum/post/15422401

I'm a bit unclear on the way audio is workiing with Arcsoft TMT (or PowerDVD for that matter) and my Soundblaster X-Fi soundcard when playing Blu-Rays. I currently have my soundcard set up to send 6 channel analog out to my HK AVR 740. What is actually responsible for decoding the audio when I select Dolby TrueHD? Does the Arcsoft (or PowerDVD) decoder do this and then send an analog signal to my soundcard which just passes it through? Does the soundcard decode it? Does the soundcard apply any processing? It certainly sounds like I'm getting an improvement in audio when I switch from DTS to TrueHD, I'm just not sure what's responsible for doing what. Thanks in advance for your responses. Links to appropriate articles to read on this would be great as well.

I have a X-FI Platinum and HK AVR 525 setup, and my understanding is that if you are passing analog to the receiver, TMT and your soundcard are doing the decoding. I'm not sure about which has priority. Depending on how (or if) you've changed any of your soundcard settings, it may be adding post-processing before the signal goes to your receiver.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.