AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to put to rest some ambiguity I'm having regarding dedicated circuits from the main panel to the HT.

Audio Video Interiors "Home Theater Guy" Russ Herschelmann recommends using one dedicated 110v 20-amp circuit for use with the main equipment, then run feeder lines to the PJ as well as to additional devices (motorized screen, remote amplifiers, powered subwoofers, etc.).

That recommendation seems somewhat suspect given that many Forum members have expressed differing views on this subject. In fact, my recent search for "dedicated circuits" came up with at least four alternatives to Russ's suggestion.

I'm at that point in my HT project where I can run whatever dedicated lines I choose to where ever I choose. So far, I've run a 15 amp circuit for lighting and outlets. One of those outlets will power a subwoofer.

I've run a 20amp circuit for the a/v equipment. I have the run terminate to a triple-ganged box which will therefore accomodate 6 separate plugs. Presently, I expect to use this circuit for my receiver, dvd player, vcr, and cable converter.

Now, I'm faced with the choice of either running a feeder line from the 20amp circuit just mentioned to the PJ, or running a dedicated 15amp circuit to the PJ alone.

I am hesitant to follow the latter course of action because it seems like a waste of a breaker, however . . . many others here have done so.

Can anyone shed a "definitive" answer on this issue?

Thanks

SteveN

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Steve, the deciding factor should depend on what you determine will be the maximum power required by the equipment. You should add up the wattage and/or amperage (volts x amps = watts, and watts/volts = amps) of each piece.

A circuit should not be loaded beyond 80% of its rating, i.e., 16 amps (1920 watts) for a 20, and 12 (1440 watts) for a 15. If your projector is a CRT, I'd probably run a new 15-amp circuit; if it's digital, feed from the existing one.

I personally ran a sub-panel for my theater, mainly because the room only had a single receptacle circuit in it. As long as I was running wire, I went all out. I used a 4-space panel with 8 half-space 15-amp breakers.

This is how I arranged the circuits:

#1 & 2, to two 3-gang boxes that will house (up to) 6 X-10 lighting dimmers.

#3, to always-hot receptacles (pre/pro, line tripler, sat box, clock/timer, DVD, LD, VCR, etc.

#4, to switched receptacles (rear-center "decoder", LD demodulator, various wall-warts, etc. (not amps))

#5, to projector

#6, to sub amps

#7, to stereo amp (mains)

#8, to 5-ch. amp (ctr, sides, rears)

Circuits #4, 6, 7, & 8 are routed through a 4-pole contactor, which is controlled by the pre/pro. Sure, it may be overkill, but since I'm an electrician, and the main panel is on the middle floor (theater in basement), it makes playing with it easier.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone who reads this thread is recommended to do a Forum Search for "Larry Fine". You'll end up getting most, if not all, of your HT electrical questions answered clearly, concisely, and appropriately.

Larry, is the watts/amps calculation different for amplifiers? For example, the Velodyne sub I have lists itself as: 130w /280 peak. Does that mean therefore that I use the peak number to determine the aggragate maximum power required?

With regard to the receiver I have (Pioneer VSX-D811S). I'm looking only at the listed "power consumption" of 300w, and not the "continuous power output". Correct?

P.S. The switched loop diagram you provided works like a charm!!! Set it up last night. It gave me a real taste for how the dimming is going to look in my HT.

Again, much thanks.

Steve

·
Registered
523 Posts
On the back of your amp it should list the amperage draw (ie 2A) or a wattage draw (ie 120W). This will be right beside the power cord and will probably have a CSA and UL logo near it.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Larry Fine,

I have been researching the electrical threads and books at home and have been very imprssed with your knowledge and theory with electricity.

Is there any way I can pay you to "design" my HT wiring setup???

That would be cool..... :)

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Steve, thanx for the kudos! As Graeme said, you should look for the power consumption on the label where the voltage requirement is printed, as you found on the Pioneer. The power rating of an amp's output is not an accurate way to determine power use. Audio is not a steady-state power user. The electrical rating refers to power used over time.

King, I would be happy to help you, but only if you have no objections to being charged fairly. I don't like to take advantage of people. Contact me through my website; phone is cool.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.