AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm lucky, in that I've got a dedicated room in my current apartment that I'm using as my HT. (My last apartment, it was shared with my living room.) I'm unlucky in the sense that I don't own a house to build a dedicated theater in. :(

So my dedicated room has a few issues that I'd like to try and fix as much as I can, without causing damage to the room that I can't easily repair when I move out:

- white walls, ceiling, screen wall.

Bleh. I'm an FP CRT user, so these really hurt me. (Table mount too - so as to not rip apart the ceiling, but this causes bad ceiling reflections.)

I don't want to paint, as it'll be a pain to cover up a darker color later with white paint. (Or is it really that bad?) So I'm thinking of getting expo cloth or something (I'd only consider flame resistant materials) and building 48" wide vertical panels. Two firring strips each 48" wide, one for floor and one for ceiling, and just screw them into the shreetrock. When I move out in a few years, I can unscrew them, roll up/fold up my panels, and take them with me. The screw holes are easily filled with spackle and painted over. (Complex always paints between tenants, nice basic white. They also spackle the walls for us. :))

One wall has 8' from floor to ceiling, the other is closer to 10'. (Roof slant.) So my panel lengths would be uneven, but I should be able to completely reuse the panels in any new location, within reason (might have to cut some down on length, but ok).

I'd use a single, dark color just to be simple. Perhaps I might do two colors, alternating colors between vertical panels. I most likely wouldn't try to put in firring strips between panels, as I'm not really sure I want to put that much effort into it in this room. (If I owned the house, this wouldn't even be a question.)

- heating/cooling. Only the one HVAC unit, and clearly I can't add another. I'm thinking that since I live in the northeast there is always the "open the window" routine in the winter, and the summer, set the HVAC for 65 when I'm watching a movie, provided we don't have a power outtage...

Currently I keep my amp and HTPC outside of the theater room, and pass speaker and video cable through a hole in the wall between the rooms, so heat isn't an issue from these. The hole is small, its just a spot where the builders installed cable TV jacks in each room by putting a splitter inside the wall and back to back faceplates. Unscrewing the faceplates left me a 2"x6" (roughly) hole between the two rooms.

So the only heat I have to address is what my CRT puts out as part of its cooling, and body heat (well and the heat from the screen light, what little that is). The HT room does have HVAC service, but with the heat output from the projector it won't be enough during extended viewing periods. Anyone have ideas on what to do with the projector exhaust ?

My projector is only a few feet from the window, I could build a rough hushbox and use some sort of flexible duct to move exhaust directly to an open window. Another option is the pj is only a few feet from a bathroom we just don't use. I could take out the ceiling fan/light fixture and attach to the exhaust duct there. If I did this, I'd want to use my own duct fan, as I'd want the fan to be able to be on but silent during HT use (and bathroom ceiling fans are usually noisy).

- light control. I want to hang blackout material over my windows (that'd I'd be opening for cooling) to get total light control. So this goes against the "open the window" heat control method.

This is pretty easy, aside from then losing easy access to a window. Just need to aquire the blackout material that's flame resistant.

- sound. What can I do to help minimize the noise? The room is carpeted, but otherwise has no treatments. So its a cavern that echos more than it should, and yes, I have neighbors.

Right now I'm lacking a sub, so I don't have deep bass to worry about. I'm generally considerate, so I wouldn't even think of running my sub much past 8 pm if I had one, so that's not an issue. I usually run my system around 70 dB at my listening position, as any higher is just too loud for me. That's also loud enough for me to hear the sound system in most of the other rooms in my apartment, so I'm willing to bet my neighbors might also be hearing it some.

So I've thought about getting some soundboard sheets and putting them on the walls behind my expo panels, as they should also be pretty easily removed without damaging the drywall. (I should just be able to screw these into the drywall too, right?)

I can't do much to the floor unfortunately, as it already is carpeted and I have no desire to try and pull it back. Large parts of the theater would have no foot traffic except during theater construction or extreme tweaking sessions, so its possible I could just put soundboard sheets down on the floor. Would this give any benefit? Based on what I've read here so far it sounds like it would kill my room so much that I'd get horrible room response.

The unfortunate part is, the only shared wall is the floor. 1 side wall is an outside wall, 2 are inside to my own apartment (and I'm not worried about noise leaking there), and the back wall goes to a big closet and bathroom, whose back walls are then shared. I can put soundboard inside of these rooms easily, and fully intend on closing their doors during HT use, so this might cut down on noise leak.

I guess I'm going to this length about the sound because I usually work long hours during the week and only use the HT at night on the weekends. Most friday and saturday nights are 12-14 hour binge events in the theater, starting around 6 pm and going into the next day. :)

My room is about 16'x10'. Screen is on the narrow wall length, and seating is at about 10' from the screen wall (2/3 room length back). I've got my sound system in, an audio test disc, and an SPL meter, and will start having fun with that this weekend to see how the room reacts.

Anyone have any guides in their bookmarks on how to place sound absorption materials (e.g. soundboard) in the room?

· Registered
684 Posts
Hey is your apartment haunted? All your pictures are full of those translucent orbs that ghost hunters always point to in pictures to claim an area has spirit activity...

- Cryo

· Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it is. By me. ;)

I guess I should add that those photos are of my old place, I have yet to take any shots of the new one. So they won't give you anything useful about my current problems...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.