AVS Forum banner

1981 - 2000 of 2130 Posts

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Just disconnect everything to test. Isolate it from the rest of the network.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi friends this is the first time I am writing here, I have been following this thread and the information here has helped me a lot with you amazing. I have mrx720 and have experimented with all versions of ARC and ARC GENESIS, version 1.2.2.0 sets the overall speaker level to 75DB, I also tried the Bata but also tuned the levels to 75 DB, I need a link to previous versions 1.1.19105 (hope I was wrong in numbers ) A few days ago, I happened to be flipping through ANTHEM's website to a page that had all the downloads of all versions of ARC.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Hi friends this is the first time I am writing here, I have been following this thread and the information here has helped me a lot with you amazing. I have mrx720 and have experimented with all versions of ARC and ARC GENESIS, version 1.2.2.0 sets the overall speaker level to 75DB, I also tried the Bata but also tuned the levels to 75 DB, I need a link to previous versions 1.1.19105 (hope I was wrong in numbers ) A few days ago, I happened to be flipping through ANTHEM's website to a page that had all the downloads of all versions of ARC.
Whats your question? 75 is the default, you can change it anytime.

·
Registered
5 Posts
thanks buddy... Oops you had an error in writing. The calibration system measures the speaker level to 85db. And it is not possible to change up to 75db .... Anyway, I will re-calibrate again and it is recorded that in the meantime I have not found time to recalibrate and I am on a calibration of 9006.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Adding an integrated amp (Naim Uniti Nova) to my MRX-720 and would like to know what volume level to set the Nova to when I run ARC? Or does it matter!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Hello I have a question about ARC genesis, can the treble be adjusted? or just the bass Thank you
Nothing to do with genesis, its on the remote for both.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi I have to update, I calibrated with the latest version 1.2.2.0 and this time the levels are tuned to 75db properly. The sound sounds great, the lower middle is almost perfect (I am working on it, I made a small change in my living room from a design standpoint and it significantly improved the sound - I moved the central sofa from the back wall, which means I moved it about half a meter) , The detail is amazing and the resolution is excellent and lots of details sound great fun

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Hi I have to update, I calibrated with the latest version 1.2.2.0 and this time the levels are tuned to 75db properly. The sound sounds great, the lower middle is almost perfect (I am working on it, I made a small change in my living room from a design standpoint and it significantly improved the sound - I moved the central sofa from the back wall, which means I moved it about half a meter) , The detail is amazing and the resolution is excellent and lots of details sound great fun
because you probably moved the sofa out of a null, makes a big difference.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi, I have installed the release 1.2.2.0 and re-calibrated after the the bad experience had with previous and buggy versions of Genesis. Everything has gone well now: mid and high frequencies are clearer and detailed, bass more controlled and overall sound is more transparent than what obtained with ARC2. Levels are exactly as they should be. :)

Now, two general questions to the most experienced guys (Bob, Lagairre etc.):

1) ARC set "Room Gain Center Frequency" to 200Hz. As far as you know is this the default value or ARC sets it to a value between 150Hz and 300Hz according to the room response? I'm asking because I tried to lower it at 150Hz and my feeling is bass improve even further.

2) ARC set "High-Frequency Extension" in the subwoofer settings to 250Hz (I own a SVS SB-4000 and its output reaches about this frequency). What's the meaning of doing that if the highest frequency of LFE is 120Hz and crossovers from the other channels are set to 80Hz? I mean, nothing can go higher than 120Hz in this case and limiting "High-Frequency Extension" to 120Hz instead produces a better graph, as more resources goes to flatten out the portion 15-120Hz actually used. Am I doing it wrong?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hello I have a question about ARC genesis, can the treble be adjusted? or just the bass Thank you
If you set the max correction frequency to past the default of 5k, to 20K, You can use the tilt and high frequency rolloff to increase or decrease in the treble region on each channel. However, I've found it does not produce desireable results in my setup. I use the treble as sounds more natural. Use with caution beacause it could just be me but, I was getting strange distortion when using genesis past 5k, happened on current gen and previous gen units with differnet speakers and arc versions firmware etc.

·
Registered
9,924 Posts
Adding an integrated amp (Naim Uniti Nova) to my MRX-720 and would like to know what volume level to set the Nova to when I run ARC? Or does it matter!

Sort of depends on your intention and whether the Naim has a home theater bypass function. I tend to choose "unity gain" (ie, 100% volume) when using an external amp with a volume/gain knob. But if you don't have a HT bypass function on the Naim, that could be dangerous when you go to use the Naim without running everything through the MRX720. So I would not recommend that approach, nor, frankly, would I recommend an integrated amp without an HT bypass, at all. Rather, if I felt the need for more amplified power, I'd get a normal amp and still run all sources through the 720. But then one of the things I really like is ARC so I wouldn't bother to listen to anything without it (like the Naim directly).

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Sort of depends on your intention and whether the Naim has a home theater bypass function. I tend to choose "unity gain" (ie, 100% volume) when using an external amp with a volume/gain knob. But if you don't have a HT bypass function on the Naim, that could be dangerous when you go to use the Naim without running everything through the MRX720. So I would not recommend that approach, nor, frankly, would I recommend an integrated amp without an HT bypass, at all. Rather, if I felt the need for more amplified power, I'd get a normal amp and still run all sources through the 720. But then one of the things I really like is ARC so I wouldn't bother to listen to anything without it (like the Naim directly).

Thanks for the response...the Naim Nova integrated does have a home theater bypass that they call AV fixed volume through RCA inputs.

·
Registered
9,924 Posts
There you go. Use the HT bypass when running ARC (and of course when listening to anything input via the MRX720).

There is no choice about volume on the Naim when in bypass mode. It makes the decision for you which is what you want.

Thanks for the response...the Naim Nova integrated does have a home theater bypass that they call AV fixed volume through RCA inputs.

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
Hi, I have installed the release 1.2.2.0 and re-calibrated after the the bad experience had with previous and buggy versions of Genesis. Everything has gone well now: mid and high frequencies are clearer and detailed, bass more controlled and overall sound is more transparent than what obtained with ARC2. Levels are exactly as they should be. :)

Now, two general questions to the most experienced guys (Bob, Lagairre etc.):

1) ARC set "Room Gain Center Frequency" to 200Hz. As far as you know is this the default value or ARC sets it to a value between 150Hz and 300Hz according to the room response? I'm asking because I tried to lower it at 150Hz and my feeling is bass improve even further.

2) ARC set "High-Frequency Extension" in the subwoofer settings to 250Hz (I own a SVS SB-4000 and its output reaches about this frequency). What's the meaning of doing that if the highest frequency of LFE is 120Hz and crossovers from the other channels are set to 80Hz? I mean, nothing can go higher than 120Hz in this case and limiting "High-Frequency Extension" to 120Hz instead produces a better graph, as more resources goes to flatten out the portion 15-120Hz actually used. Am I doing it wrong?
I'm not sure 200Hz is the default for room gain. I don't think there is a default because it's determined by your room and bass so it picks the best setting between 150 and 300Hz.

The Genesis High Frequency Extension is the highest frequency the sub can play because there can be frequencies as high as 250Hz in the .1 channel. So if Genesis detects that your sub is capable of playing all the way up to 250Hz it sets it there so you don't loose any information.

Anthem explains it better than I do on their Genesis page.
https://www.anthemarc.com/arc-genesis/advanced-settings/adjust-arc-settings-adjust-targets.php
High-Frequency Extension sets the upper limit to which the subwoofer plays. It is advised to set this to match the natural roll off measured by ARC. Do not confuse this with the subwoofer crossover frequency established in the speaker panels. This control only affects the upper limit to which the subwoofer plays and is essential when a sub is reproducing an LFE (0.1) track. LFE Tracks often contain information at higher frequencies. When bass management is set to redirect low bass from other channels in the system to the subwoofer, the processor sends this information (up to the crossover point set for the other speakers) in addition to the LFE track so that your subwoofer plays both.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi Legairre, thank you for your reply. :)

Of course I know crossover frequency in speaker panels is different from high frequency extension in subwoofer panel. However, as far as I know, in the .1 channel (LFE) there’s no information above 120Hz right because is bandwidth limited to 120Hz, indeed we usually set LPF for LFE to 120Hz.
Why are you speaking about information till 250Hz (!!) in the .1 channel? It’s the first time I hear about it...

·
Registered
5 Posts
You are talking about lpf, this is the low level of the filter, there is also the hfe which is a high pass filter and can set you up to 250hz, it gives you control over the high level of the filter.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
yes - had same annoyance. was discussed earlier in this thread or the Anthem owner's thread. fixed in 1.2.3 beta.
Is there a new version 1.2.3? I just looked on the website, and it still shows v1.2.2.0

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
Hi Legairre, thank you for your reply. :)

Of course I know crossover frequency in speaker panels is different from high frequency extension in subwoofer panel. However, as far as I know, in the .1 channel (LFE) there’s no information above 120Hz right because is bandwidth limited to 120Hz, indeed we usually set LPF for LFE to 120Hz.
Why are you speaking about information till 250Hz (!!) in the .1 channel? It’s the first time I hear about it...
Hi I'm speaking about information till 250Hz because you asked about it in your 2nd question.

If you look at what I quoted from Anthem and the link from Anthem Genesis you'll see that Anthem says they use a 250Hz High Frequency Extension because there is information in the .1 up to 250Hz so I was answering your question by explaining why Genesis uses a 250Hz high Frequency Extension on the sub. I'm just trying to answer your #2 question.

From Anthem Genesis site:

https://www.anthemarc.com/arc-genesi...st-targets.php
High-Frequency Extension sets the upper limit to which the subwoofer plays. It is advised to set this to match the natural roll off measured by ARC. Do not confuse this with the subwoofer crossover frequency established in the speaker panels. This control only affects the upper limit to which the subwoofer plays and is essential when a sub is reproducing an LFE (0.1) track. LFE Tracks often contain information at higher frequencies. When bass management is set to redirect low bass from other channels in the system to the subwoofer, the processor sends this information (up to the crossover point set for the other speakers) in addition to the LFE track so that your subwoofer plays both.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
I had a really difficult time with ARC, but finally was able to get a response that I am pleased with (Attached). It turns out that keeping the Rumble Filter On (recommended Off during calibration) was the trick to a smoother calculated response when measuring during ARC.

Now that I have the measurements uploaded to my computer with the Rumble Filter off, I can work with different Deep Bass Boosts and types of crossovers for the sub. My subs also have three different dampening settings (currently using High) along with a 12Hz and 18Hz filter (currently using 14Hz). This will give me plenty to do.

I'm attaching a second picture to see if others could weigh in on benefits of an arc from the beginning building up to the 35Hz region. I have seen it where people build their curve up to 30Hz and then either go flat till about 50Hz, or gradually start going down from 30Hz.

ARC Curve Results
Something I don’t understand about ARC is why it has to follow a specific Target Curve. This has been really difficult as I have uploaded really nice curves that closely follow the Target Curve, and I select for ARC to not correct anything below 80Hz.

Or I give ARC a flat response (+/- 4dB from 16Hz - 80Hz) and make a 3dB Bass Boost at 60Hz then run REW only to see that there’s an 8-12dB drop from 30 - 80Hz as well as the response not looking as clean as the first one.

Question 1 When I set the sub crossover for 80Hz in the Adjust Settings tab, why does it show up as 120Hz in the Bass Management settings on the receiver once it's uploaded? If I change it, it drops the 60 - 80Hz range another 2-4dB.

Question 2 I know it’s not recommended, but I’m wondering what it would be like to do ARC before running miniDSP Auto PEQ Filters since I could at least build around the constructed curve. Any thoughts on this?

Attachments

1981 - 2000 of 2130 Posts