AVS Forum banner

2021 - 2040 of 2122 Posts

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Oh no reason to be embarrassed there's a lot going on with some things in Genesis and others in the Anthem itself. The High Frequency Extension is the highest frequency the sub will play. You should leave it to whatever Genesis sets it at. As you know the Low Frequency Extension is the lowest frequency the sub will play. So if your HFE is 250Hz and your LFE is 15Hz then your sub will play frequencies sent to it between 15-250Hz so your sub has a high and low limit to what it will play..

The subwoofer crossover is actually in the Anthem on the Bass Management screen and mine was set by Genesis at 120Hz. I'd set the sub to flat and let it play as low as it is capable of. The sub has an internal limiter so you won't damage the sub.
Good to know I was not wrong about leaving the LFE at 15Hz then. I will leave the HFE at the recommended 225Hz rather than changing it to 80Hz. Hopefully that makes the difference. I'm going to upload them now, and will post results in my reply to Bandyka's most recent post. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Something kind of cool with my most recent ARC genesis calibration.

I used a miniDSP to align my subs and apply an REW curve. I applied in the miniDSP a 48 octave drop-off at 18 Hz when building my curve.

After running ARC, it gave me a 7th order slope with a 18 Hz roll-off point and a with a 15 Hz low extension.

Without the miniDSP, I typically get a 4th, 3rd, or 2nd order slope with a 24 Hz rolloff and a 20 Hz low extension.

Great to see that the miniDSP curve truly does impact the subs in a measurable way with ARC.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Can you just take one measurement with the two mains and subs and just one with wit the two mains and no sub and post? So we just have one line in the graph combined and please don't use smoothing.
Here are the results. I changed the default crossover in Bass Management from 120Hz to 100Hz. LCR are all crossed over at 80Hz.

I attached extra pictures because I was unclear if you wanted the "mains" as L and R or L+R. I also included the C in one as well as a combined C+subs and L+R with subs. All others are without subs.

The major change I made was changing the High-Frequency Extension from 80Hz to 225HzI haven't had much time to listen to the new profiles since uploading, but the two songs I listened to did sound much fuller.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Something kind of cool with my most recent ARC genesis calibration.

I used a miniDSP to align my subs and apply an REW curve. I applied in the miniDSP a 48 octave drop-off at 18 Hz when building my curve.

After running ARC, it gave me a 7th order slope with a 18 Hz roll-off point and a with a 15 Hz low extension.

Without the miniDSP, I typically get a 4th, 3rd, or 2nd order slope with a 24 Hz rolloff and a 20 Hz low extension.

Great to see that the miniDSP curve truly does impact the subs in a measurable way with ARC.
Of course it does. However try and run ARC first and EQ with REW after, that way you get much more predictable end results that stick, unlike crossing fingers with ARC.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Here are the results. I changed the default crossover in Bass Management from 120Hz to 100Hz. LCR are all crossed over at 80Hz.

I attached extra pictures because I was unclear if you wanted the "mains" as L and R or L+R. I also included the C in one as well as a combined C+subs and L+R with subs. All others are without subs.

The major change I made was changing the High-Frequency Extension from 80Hz to 225HzI haven't had much time to listen to the new profiles since uploading, but the two songs I listened to did sound much fuller.
OK.

Thanks what we want to see here is the two mains and subs all in one go one measurement at a time.

High frequency extension: You can go as high as you want to but push it to 250hz as that is the full range of the LFE channel nothing will play beyond that as it will roll off at the crossover point anyway. That's how it works.

Low frequency extension slope: DO change it to at least 4th order which is 24 octave/db as if you leave it flat you are asking your subs to play anything at any level without rolling off hence risking driver damage, its important. Plus all you get is distortion anyway below the capabilities of the driver.

You don't want the crossover any higher than 100hz as it will start becoming noticeable in terms of localization. You will be able to begin localizing the subs which you don't want.

The way it seems you have huge dips at 85,102 and 125 hz.

After you have done all your correction, uploads and EQ, go into the receivers distance settings, set it to 0 and start measuring. Measure with the two mains and two subs on at 0 distance, note the results especially the dips then go up one notch in the distance then re-measure and note the changes in the dips, keep going until the dips keep getting better and stop where they start getting worse again go back one notch that is the best spot for your perfect time alignment with your mains. I would also set the x over to 80 hz as it seems the 85hz dip might be in your subs. It would be also interesting to see phase on the graphs wit your subs measured only.

Now as to your subs we don't know if they are aligned perfectly but lets see the mains first. (it should be the other way around though).

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Oh no reason to be embarrassed there's a lot going on with some things in Genesis and others in the Anthem itself. The High Frequency Extension is the highest frequency the sub will play. You should leave it to whatever Genesis sets it at. As you know the Low Frequency Extension is the lowest frequency the sub will play. So if your HFE is 250Hz and your LFE is 15Hz then your sub will play frequencies sent to it between 15-250Hz so your sub has a high and low limit to what it will play..

The subwoofer crossover is actually in the Anthem on the Bass Management screen and mine was set by Genesis at 120Hz. I'd set the sub to flat and let it play as low as it is capable of. The sub has an internal limiter so you won't damage the sub.
Sorry but this is not true, maybe there were a misunderstanding in my previous post. Even if you set HFE to 250Hz the subwoofer WILL NOT play so high. Or better, the subwoofer itself could be able to but it won't because:

1) the .1 channel (LFE) is bandwidth limited to 120Hz. Always, right in the content, as it's up to Dolby specifications. Furthermore DTS specifications even limit it to 80Hz as far as I know.
The most of LFE channel is in the 20-80Hz range, little information in the 80-120Hz range, nothing above.

2) on the receiver there's a filter called "LPF for LFE" usually set to 120Hz and this is the higher frequency the subwoofer can play, even if you let Genesis EQ up to 250Hz (according to HFE).

3) nobody would like to have a subwoofer playing above 120Hz as it would become very localizable. Low frequencies become directional starting from around 80Hz...

All of this is not "my opinion", is the way the things are. A subwoofer tipically plays till 120Hz unless you have very small speakers requiring a crossover (crossover is a different thing and inherent to bass management: redirected bass from speakers to subwoofer) higher than 120Hz but usually we all have crossovers set to 80-100Hz.

What I explained above moved myself to ask the reason behind such a high HFE value set by Genesis, the reason why Genesis prefers EQ up to 250Hz even if the subwoofer will never play such higher frequencies.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Sorry but this is not true, maybe there were a misunderstanding in my previous post. Even if you set HFE to 250Hz the subwoofer WILL NOT play so high. Or better, the subwoofer itself could be able to but it won't because:

1) the .1 channel (LFE) is bandwidth limited to 120Hz. Always, right in the content, as it's up to Dolby specifications. Furthermore DTS specifications even limit it to 80Hz as far as I know.
The most of LFE channel is in the 20-80Hz range, little information in the 80-120Hz range, nothing above.

2) on the receiver there's a filter called "LPF for LFE" usually set to 120Hz and this is the higher frequency the subwoofer can play, even if you let Genesis EQ up to 250Hz (according to HFE).

3) nobody would like to have a subwoofer playing above 120Hz as it would become very localizable. Low frequencies become directional starting from around 80Hz...

All of this is not "my opinion", is the way the things are. A subwoofer tipically plays till 120Hz unless you have very small speakers requiring a crossover (crossover is a different thing and inherent to bass management: redirected bass from speakers to subwoofer) higher than 120Hz but usually we all have crossovers set to 80-100Hz.

What I explained above moved myself to ask the reason behind such a high HFE value set by Genesis, the reason why Genesis prefers EQ up to 250Hz even if the subwoofer will never play such higher frequencies.
Its a half truth mate, there is content between 0-250hz in the LFE channel, you can by any means set it to 250hz no narm done its very rare but the LFE specs allow for up to 250 hz but it will be down played by the crossover anyway. THX recommends the crossover to be 80hz yes and generally that is the best setting but 100hz is fine and if the subs are up front next to the mains localization won't be an issue. Xover settings need to be best determined case by case depending on the environment.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Its a half truth mate, there is content between 0-250hz in the LFE channel, you can by any means set it to 250hz no narm done its very rare but the LFE specs allow for up to 250 hz but it will be down played by the crossover anyway. THX recommends the crossover to be 80hz yes and generally that is the best setting but 100hz is fine and if the subs are up front next to the mains localization won't be an issue. Xover settings need to be best determined case by case depending on the environment.

Could you link an official source where I can find LFE specs up to 250Hz? :)

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Could you link an official source where I can find LFE specs up to 250Hz? :)
No need get hung up on this. LPF-LFE is up tp 250hz as per in the AVR, is there content? Probably not or rarely, is there any harm leaving it that high? Nah. Wil lyou limit yourself if you set it to lower than 120hz? Yes.

·
Registered
76 Posts
No need get hung up on this. LPF-LFE is up tp 250hz as per in the AVR, is there content? Probably not or rarely, is there any harm leaving it that high? Nah. Wil lyou limit yourself if you set it to lower than 120hz? Yes.
LPF-LFE in the AVR up to 250Hz does mean nothing in my opinion, just a choice. In many years I have never read about LFE channel going over 120Hz but maybe I have missed something, that was the reason why I asked for a link. If you can provide I would be more than happy to learn something new. :)
Of course you could face some limits if you set it lower than 120Hz and I would never do it. But I would not even leave HFE at 250Hz because ARC filters are limited in number and I prefer those filters work to flatten out the range 10-120Hz the best they can instead of having them flatten out an extended range (120-250Hz) that will be never used.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
LPF-LFE in the AVR up to 250Hz does mean nothing in my opinion, just a choice. In many years I have never read about LFE channel going over 120Hz but maybe I have missed something, that was the reason why I asked for a link. If you can provide I would be more than happy to learn something new. :)
Of course you could face some limits if you set it lower than 120Hz and I would never do it. But I would not even leave HFE at 250Hz because ARC filters are limited in number and I prefer those filters work to flatten out the range 10-120Hz the best they can instead of having them flatten out an extended range (120-250Hz) that will be never used.
As I said no need to get hung up on this as it's meaningless in practice. There must be a reason why all manufacturers allow for 250hz but we in reality never use it. That's it since does not add anything constructive to the conversation lets leave it at that.

In case of ARC yes 120 could work due to filter limitations but I would still leave it at 250 or wherever ARC puts it to as those filter limitation only really play a part when for example EQ-ing a full range speaker from 0-20Khz according to Anthem, that is why they by default EQ up to 5Khz as after that it starts thinning out.

You approach things the right way otherwise, you seem to know what you are talking about.

·
Registered
76 Posts
...those filter limitation only really play a part when for example EQ-ing a full range speaker from 0-20Khz according to Anthem, that is why they by default EQ up to 5Khz as after that it starts thinning out.
Yes, you are right, for the most part those limitations come up when you push EQ beyond 5KHz, that's the reason why I like to limit EQ up to 1KHz, this way lower frequencies benifit even more (and it's not the only reason behind this choice). But I found out that, for the same reason, subwoofer graph from Genesis improves even further in the range 10-120Hz if you lower HFE (assuming that LPF-LFE will still be set to 120Hz), as more resources will be focused to flatten out that range. Give it a try. ;)

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Of course it does. However try and run ARC first and EQ with REW after, that way you get much more predictable end results that stick, unlike crossing fingers with ARC.
I only use ARC up to 250 Hz.

I EQ with the miniDSP first with the crossovers up at 250 and ARC off, then I run ARC, then I level my speakers with an SPL, than I check the response with REW to make sure everything is in line. Also like to slightly lift the tilt on the low end and drop it just a bit on the high end with ARC.

The miniDSP is fantastic, though it can be a frustrating endeavor as you learn it.

·
Registered
7,028 Posts

Wow I wake up this morning to find that you've jumped all over me for stating exactly what Anthem says the purpose of the HFE is, as well as what other AVR manufacturers says the purpose is.

Anthem clearly states in the the Genesis help/documentation page the following:

https://www.anthemarc.com/arc-genesis/advanced-settings/adjust-arc-settings-adjust-targets.php
High-Frequency Extension
High-Frequency Extension sets the upper limit to which the subwoofer plays. It is advised to set this to match the natural roll off measured by ARC. Do not confuse this with the subwoofer crossover frequency established in the speaker panels. This control only affects the upper limit to which the subwoofer plays and is essential when a sub is reproducing an LFE (0.1) track. LFE Tracks often contain information at higher frequencies. When bass management is set to redirect low bass from other channels in the system to the subwoofer, the processor sends this information (up to the crossover point set for the other speakers) in addition to the LFE track so that your subwoofer plays both.
I didn't just make this up. Whether you agree or disagree you need to take that up with Anthem and other manufacturers. Instead you quoted me and bolded my words to imply I've come up with this on my own. Anthem says there is content in the .1 up to 250Hz. These aren't my words they are theirs and I've quoted Anthem on this 3 times now. I can't help it that you disagree, but you asked for my help by name in your original post so I was helping. I can appreciate you passion for the topic and this hobby but I would kindly ask that you please direct you disapproval at Anthem instead of me.

You and Matt both had questions about the purpose of the HFE, so I was trying to help by explaining Anthem's purpose for it and how it works in Genesis. I can't help it if you don't like how or why Anthem implemented the feature.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts

I EQ with the miniDSP first with the crossovers up at 250 and ARC off, then I run ARC, then I level my speakers with an SPL, than I check the response with REW to make sure everything is in line. Also like to slightly lift the tilt on the low end and drop it just a bit on the high end with ARC.

The miniDSP is fantastic, though it can be a frustrating endeavor as you learn it.
You are using a 250hz crossover?? Why?
MiniDSP is a god send and for me it was the easiest thing to learn and it gives me the exact results I want and even when the auto EQ does not produce the precise results I want I can easily manually adjust it. This cannot be done with ARC and this is why I run things now in the reverse order.

Ohh I get ya 250hz only during sub setup.

·
Read the FAQ!
35,423 Posts
I have the Beta, but it wasn’t showing up as the v.1.2.3. Just clicked on th link you provided, and it does now. Strange. Thanks.

Do I need to remeasure, or can I use sweeps I currently have? I’m assuming I can.
See the Release Notes text file included in the stuff you just downloaded. There's one fix in this new Beta for a specific Anthem product. If you don't have that product, there should be no change and no need to re-Measure. If you DO have that product you will need to re-Measure to take advantage of the fix.
--Bob

·
Registered
76 Posts
Wow I wake up this morning to find that you've jumped all over me for stating exactly what Anthem says the purpose of the HFE is, as well as what other AVR manufacturers says the purpose is.

Anthem clearly states in the the Genesis help/documentation page the following:

I didn't just make this up. Whether you agree or disagree you need to take that up with Anthem and other manufacturers. Instead you quoted me and bolded my words to imply I've come up with this on my own. Anthem says there is content in the .1 up to 250Hz. These aren't my words they are theirs and I've quoted Anthem on this 3 times now. I can't help it that you disagree, but you asked for my help by name in your original post so I was helping. I can appreciate you passion for the topic and this hobby but I would kindly ask that you please direct you disapproval at Anthem instead of me.

You and Matt both had questions about the purpose of the HFE, so I was trying to help by explaining Anthem's purpose for it and how it works in Genesis. I can't help it if you don't like how or why Anthem implemented the feature.

Hi Legairre, it was not my intention to “jump all over you”. :) I understood now you were just reporting what Anthem says and, frankly speaking, it’s not so clear, however it doesn’t specifies LFE channel is actually up to 250Hz. As far as I know, there’s nothing above 120Hz in the LFE.

Bob, what’s your opinion about it? If we assume, basing on DD specs, LFE is up to 120hz which is the reason behind the choice of Genesis to set higher values for the HFE? I remember your post where you told to consider HFE in the subwoofer panel just like “its max EQ”. So my question is: why EQing up to 250Hz (just for instance, it could be 180Hz or 220Hz according to what the subwoofer is capable of) if LFE is bandwidth limited to 120Hz?

I hope all of you understand what I mean, english is not my native language...

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
The LFE content on a surround mix is supposed to contain no content above 120hz. But the redirected bass from the bed channels CAN contain content above 120hz. Remember, the crossover is a slope so there is still content above 120hz going to the subwoofer channel from bass managed speakers.....especially if any speakers are crossed over at 100hz or higher, as some surround or overhead speakers sometimes are.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts

You are using a 250hz crossover?? Why?
MiniDSP is a god send and for me it was the easiest thing to learn and it gives me the exact results I want and even when the auto EQ does not produce the precise results I want I can easily manually adjust it. This cannot be done with ARC and this is why I run things now in the reverse order.

Ohh I get ya 250hz only during sub setup.
My apologies. Gosh, I need to slow down when I type. I use a 250 Hz max frequency for ARC, I meant to say.

Yes, I use a 250 Hz crossover only during sub EQ with the miniDSP.

The miniDSP is easy to use, but at first it can be hard to get everything connected. I had to delete and reload the driver a couple of times to get it to connect. After that, pretty easy.

2021 - 2040 of 2122 Posts