AVS Forum banner

2281 - 2300 of 2372 Posts

·
Read the FAQ!
35,501 Posts
^ Yes. You can enable up to 4 “Profiles” in the ARC Genesis solution, each with its own settings. After you upload the solution to the Anthem, create Input definitions on the Anthem which are identical except for which ARC Profile they use.
—Bob

·
Registered
583 Posts
@buddhamus
I assume you ran a single set of measurements with one profile, corrected to 5K, and saved your *.arc3 file?
If so, yes, you can set up a second profile with 500 hz (or whatever) by using Genesis.

• Open Genesis and load your cal arc3 file
  • Choose Adjust Settings
  • Enable Profile 2 (or any of the other unused ones) on Set Up Speaker Profile(s) tab
  • Go to Select Speaker(s) tab and choose speakers for profile 2.
  • Go to Set Speaker Levels and adjust if you want (this doesn't really need to be done)
  • Go to Adjust Targets tab. Select new Profile (eg Profile 2). Change max correction frequency for each speaker pair you want to change.
  • Hit continue for ARC to calculate.
  • Save PDF and new cal file (change the name)
  • Upload to your device
  • then in the input setup on the Anthem itself, you can assign new profile to an input. If you want to switch between speaker correction levels, you could always set up a second identical input, one using Profile 1, one Profile 2.

·
Registered
246 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I need a little advice here is my system as follows

Monitor Audio Silver 8s
MA Silver C350
Emotiva XPA 3
Anthem MRX 720
Rear and 2 atmos CT265IDC
Currently 1 PB3000 and about to purchase another pb3000

I was debating about getting a minidsp 2x4hd and have someone calibrate my system remotely who has great reviews as doing such or have my system calibrate locally but a well known company in the audio world. They seem to think due to having Anthem ARC why I would need the mini dsp and could calibrate my system without it. Could I have some insight on this? I'm no pro by any means but I love how my ARC sounds just i feel like my system could do better in the bass region and have it dialed in better.

·
Registered
583 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
I need a little advice here is my system as follows

Monitor Audio Silver 8s
MA Silver C350
Emotiva XPA 3
Anthem MRX 720
Rear and 2 atmos CT265IDC
Currently 1 PB3000 and about to purchase another pb3000

I was debating about getting a minidsp 2x4hd and have someone calibrate my system remotely who has great reviews as doing such or have my system calibrate locally but a well known company in the audio world. They seem to think due to having Anthem ARC why I would need the mini dsp and could calibrate my system without it. Could I have some insight on this? I'm no pro by any means but I love how my ARC sounds just i feel like my system could do better in the bass region and have it dialed in better.
ARC doesn't calibrate multiple subs individually.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Would you recommend the mini dsp 2x4HD to get the most out of my subs?
Yes. I EQ'd using REW and the MiniDSP 2x4 HD, then ran ARC to "smooth" it out. ARC is not able to calibrate multiple subs, which is a shame. With the miniDSP, ARC hears the combined result as one sub. I've made some changes to my room and plan on re-running everything in a week or two.

Hopefully Anthem's next gen processors can compete with Dirac's multi-sub calibration.

Reactions: madrac

·
Registered
583 Posts
Agree with blSwagger on the 2x4 HD. I recently added one to my system, along with a second Rythmik.

Reactions: blSwagger

·
Registered
246 Posts
Just for the record, ARC when used with the STR series can integrate one or two subs, in mono or in stereo (individually). But of course the STR series is for two-channel systems (up to 2.2) -- it won't serve if you want surround.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Welcome to the club.
Your best place to start is here:

Initially the key is to find the best location for each sub and when summed they compliment each other and create a positive summation. I found that diagonally one on the front left and one on the rear right was best for me, with the rear sub facing the right wall.
It will be a long journey but you'll enjoy it. I recommend you watch these videos first, then come back with questions.

have fun.
Hey Bandyka, I just wanted to come back in and say thank you for the links. The journey was quite long and I definitely learned a lot and have more questions but not necessarily to this thread's title: arc genesis.

Again, many thanks. I was able to get my two Rythmik L12s placed correctly (I ended forking up for a minidsp HD and I am pretty much sold on that little device), and integrated with my bookshelves and...."it's like buttah".

I too had to reduce the sub level after ARC by -3 in the level settings.

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Hey Bandyka, I just wanted to come back in and say thank you for the links. The journey was quite long and I definitely learned a lot and have more questions but not necessarily to this thread's title: arc genesis.

Again, many thanks. I was able to get my two Rythmik L12s placed correctly (I ended forking up for a minidsp HD and I am pretty much sold on that little device), and integrated with my bookshelves and...."it's like buttah".

I too had to reduce the sub level after ARC by -3 in the level settings.
Glad you are getting there mate. Yes its a long journey and there are two ways to walk the path, either taking the long one and learning bit by bit and really enjoying the satisfying end result, or keep trying the automated tools which may never realize the full potential of the system getting into an endless upgraditis cycle.

I guarantee that 98% of all systems are far from optimal in terms of setup and 99% of the owners of these will never realize what is left on the table.
Good on ya for getting into it properly. Fire away those questions.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi everyone, I just got an MRX 720 and ran Arc Genesis for the first time. Hoping to get some feedback on my Arc run (attached), specifically the channel levels. Seems really odd to me that most are maxing out at +12, is this an issue at all? If it matters, speakers are being powered by an Anthem MCA 525. My speakers are Monitor Audio Silver RX8, RX centre, and surrounds are Silver 2's. Sub is a PSA XV15. Appreciate the help.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
Hi everyone, I just got an MRX 720 and ran Arc Genesis for the first time. Hoping to get some feedback on my Arc run (attached), specifically the channel levels. Seems really odd to me that most are maxing out at +12, is this an issue at all? If it matters, speakers are being powered by an Anthem MCA 525. My speakers are Monitor Audio Silver RX8, RX centre, and surrounds are Silver 2's. Sub is a PSA XV15. Appreciate the help.
Yeah, that shouldn't be the case. Those are not particularly efficient speakers but the 525 shouldn't be struggling or need the extra gain in the channel trims like that.

Two thoughts:

How far from the L R C are you? If it is something like 12 feet, you should be fine. If its something like 30 feet, I can see where the struggle might come from.

Second: Are you perhaps using RCA->XLR cables between the 720 and the 525? That will create a mismatch in the line level voltage between the 720 and the 525 which may explain a few DB.

A couple other things to try:

1. Use a different input/setup in the 720, turn off ARC, and zero out all the settings for trim/volume. Leave the crossovers at 80hz. Then, Use the test signal in the receiver, or a setup disk with pink noise if you have it, measure the decibel output of that test signal. (If you use a test disk, choose the signal that is at 75 db, and slowly turn your volume on the 720 up to zero. It shouldn't be crazy loud.) If you don't have an SPL meter to measure the level, you can download a free SPL app for your phone, which is fine for this kind of general evaluation.

If you are getting close to 75db from the test signal in this situation from your speakers, that rules out issues with distance and speaker and amplifier efficiency, or problems with the connection between the 720 and 525.

2. This is a long shot because I don't know how the 720 handles this but......in theory if your subwoofer volume dial is too high, it should just reduce the level via trim in the 720 (up to a point). But maybe your subwoofer is WAY too high (on its own volume dial on the sub) and ARC is trying to boost your speakers to match what it can't trim off the sub output level.....so try turning down the volume dial on your sub by a big step and try again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah, that shouldn't be the case. Those are not particularly efficient speakers but the 525 shouldn't be struggling or need the extra gain in the channel trims like that.

Two thoughts:

How far from the L R C are you? If it is something like 12 feet, you should be fine. If its something like 30 feet, I can see where the struggle might come from.

Second: Are you perhaps using RCA->XLR cables between the 720 and the 525? That will create a mismatch in the line level voltage between the 720 and the 525 which may explain a few DB.

A couple other things to try:

1. Use a different input/setup in the 720, turn off ARC, and zero out all the settings for trim/volume. Leave the crossovers at 80hz. Then, Use the test signal in the receiver, or a setup disk with pink noise if you have it, measure the decibel output of that test signal. (If you use a test disk, choose the signal that is at 75 db, and slowly turn your volume on the 720 up to zero. It shouldn't be crazy loud.) If you don't have an SPL meter to measure the level, you can download a free SPL app for your phone, which is fine for this kind of general evaluation.

If you are getting close to 75db from the test signal in this situation from your speakers, that rules out issues with distance and speaker and amplifier efficiency, or problems with the connection between the 720 and 525.

2. This is a long shot because I don't know how the 720 handles this but......in theory if your subwoofer volume dial is too high, it should just reduce the level via trim in the 720 (up to a point). But maybe your subwoofer is WAY too high (on its own volume dial on the sub) and ARC is trying to boost your speakers to match what it can't trim off the sub output level.....so try turning down the volume dial on your sub by a big step and try again.
Hey Nathan,

Thanks for the reply. To answer your questions:

1. I'm only 13 feet from the fronts so doesn't seem like a distance thing.
2. I'm using RCA to RCA to connect the MRX720 to the MCA525.
3. I actually did what you suggested already and tried calibrating the levels in a different profile with just the test noise and my SPL meter. I was still getting +'s but they seemed more reasonable (between +4 and +6) than with ARC (maxing out at +12).
4. ARC is boosting my sub by +7 already so it seems counter intuitive to turn the volume on the sub way down. I'm not very experienced with this stuff and usually just rely on the room correction software so maybe I'm not fully understanding.

If I turn off ARC everything gets considerably louder. Also seems weird to me as ARC is adding +12 to all the channel levels. Again though, this may just be me not fully understanding everything at work here. Seems like an ARC issue but I really don't know what that issue could be. Could the test tones with ARC running just be too quiet? I emailed Anthem asking about all the +12's and didn't get a reply. Anymore help is appreciated!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Tritty -
Which version of Genesis are you using? Some of them are notorious for setting trims too high. Try either 9006 or current 1.2.2

Reactions: nathan_h

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
Great detective work. #1 and #2 help rule out simple explanations. That's great.

#3 is good news too, in the sense that you are seeing workable/normal channel trim levels via manual level setting. That helps rule out something egregious going on.

#4 is a great data point. I missed that in the PDF. I agree you should NOT turn down the sub volume knob in this case. In fact, I would say may want to try turning it up a bit. Be nice to see the sub trim setting in the 720 get slightly negative in the final result. (This is not likely to solve things but could help.)

And now for what I call your #5 observation:

It is typical for an EQ system to appear to lower the volume overall a bit. This is because it is creating cuts and boosts and needs more room to do its work. However, it may be going too far.

SO:

A. Raising the volume knob on the sub a bit may help a bit. Getting another 10db from the subwoofer via the volume knob on the subwoofer may help (don't worry, the 720 will dial it in via trim).
B. But I think your Center Speaker is the problem. It appears to drop off (roll off) far too soon (measured performance versus the Right and Center). So the EQ system is using a lot of headroom (which it creates by lowering average output so it can boost specific frequencies). Is the Center speaker a much smaller speaker? I was assuming it was about the same as the Left and Right, just designed to be a center speaker. Now that I look closer, I think my assumption was wrong.

Is the center a lot smaller? Is it in an alcove? Cubby or cabinet?

----

Finally, it may be worthwhile to discuss your measurement technique. Opinions and results vary, but when I measure I try both a tight cluster of spots within one foot of my head location, and I compare that with a cluster of spots all around my couch. Almost always, the cluster right around my head products the best results. If you measured over a wide range of spaces, or close to a back wall, try measuring just in the area around where your head usually is and see if that changes things.

Hey Nathan,

Thanks for the reply. To answer your questions:

1. I'm only 13 feet from the fronts so doesn't seem like a distance thing.
2. I'm using RCA to RCA to connect the MRX720 to the MCA525.
3. I actually did what you suggested already and tried calibrating the levels in a different profile with just the test noise and my SPL meter. I was still getting +'s but they seemed more reasonable (between +4 and +6) than with ARC (maxing out at +12).
4. ARC is boosting my sub by +7 already so it seems counter intuitive to turn the volume on the sub way down. I'm not very experienced with this stuff and usually just rely on the room correction software so maybe I'm not fully understanding.

If I turn off ARC everything gets considerably louder. Also seems weird to me as ARC is adding +12 to all the channel levels. Again though, this may just be me not fully understanding everything at work here. Seems like an ARC issue but I really don't know what that issue could be. Could the test tones with ARC running just be too quiet? I emailed Anthem asking about all the +12's and didn't get a reply. Anymore help is appreciated!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Tritty -
Which version of Genesis are you using? Some of them are notorious for setting trims too high. Try either 9006 or current 1.2.2
I'm using v1.2.2 so I think that's the most recent one available. I keep getting a pop up when I open ARC telling me to update from 1.2.2 to 1.2.2.0 but I'm assuming there is no difference between those two.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Great detective work. #1 and #2 help rule out simple explanations. That's great.

#3 is good news too, in the sense that you are seeing workable/normal channel trim levels via manual level setting. That helps rule out something egregious going on.

#4 is a great data point. I missed that in the PDF. I agree you should NOT turn down the sub volume knob in this case. In fact, I would say may want to try turning it up a bit. Be nice to see the sub trim setting in the 720 get slightly negative in the final result. (This is not likely to solve things but could help.)

And now for what I call your #5 observation:

It is typical for an EQ system to appear to lower the volume overall a bit. This is because it is creating cuts and boosts and needs more room to do its work. However, it may be going too far.

SO:

A. Raising the volume knob on the sub a bit may help a bit. Getting another 10db from the subwoofer via the volume knob on the subwoofer may help (don't worry, the 720 will dial it in via trim).
B. But I think your Center Speaker is the problem. It appears to drop off (roll off) far too soon (measured performance versus the Right and Center). So the EQ system is using a lot of headroom (which it creates by lowering average output so it can boost specific frequencies). Is the Center speaker a much smaller speaker? I was assuming it was about the same as the Left and Right, just designed to be a center speaker. Now that I look closer, I think my assumption was wrong.

Is the center a lot smaller? Is it in an alcove? Cubby or cabinet?

----

Finally, it may be worthwhile to discuss your measurement technique. Opinions and results vary, but when I measure I try both a tight cluster of spots within one foot of my head location, and I compare that with a cluster of spots all around my couch. Almost always, the cluster right around my head products the best results. If you measured over a wide range of spaces, or close to a back wall, try measuring just in the area around where your head usually is and see if that changes things.
The center speaker isn't a lot smaller or in a cabinet or anything. I've attached a picture to show you what my front speakers looks like.

I'll try running ARC again tomorrow with your suggestion about keeping all 5 mic locations around the main listening position. I have another ARC 1M mic from my MRX710 that I'm going to try as well, just to see if results are any different. I'll also bump up the gain on the sub to try and get that +7 closer to 0.

Attachments

2281 - 2300 of 2372 Posts