2321 - 2340 of 2382 Posts

·
Registered
10,036 Posts
Ok, I was able to rerun ARC with the following changes:

1. Moved the center speaker forward on the audio rack
2. Increased the sub gain slightly
3. Kept my five mic positions much closer to the main listening position
4. Used the other Anthem mic I had (I don't think this one mattered)

I think the results are better, at least none of them are maxing out at +12 anymore, and the sub is more reasonable at just +2. What are your thoughts of the new results?
These results would make me much happier than what you got the first time! I might even increase the volume knob on the sub a bit further and re-run but that would likely not change things much.

--

All the other advice you are getting (to measure using REW, look at individual speakers, etc etc, if you have the time interest skill or patience to develop the skill) is ALSO good advice.

I think you have solved your biggest issue(s) with the small adjustments you have made and the new measurements.

But there is always room to improve even more, with additional work, if you are game. End of the day, ARC is one of the best auto EQ systems on the market. Some would say it is the best. (I would tend to agree.)

But that does not mean it is smarter than a human with excellent measurement practices, patience, and knowledge to adjust things even further.

--

The other thing to consider, of course, is whether there is a better location for your sub, and whether you can accept putting up some acoustic treatment on some of the walls (and maybe the ceiling).

·
Registered
12 Posts
These results would make me much happier than what you got the first time! I might even increase the volume knob on the sub a bit further and re-run but that would likely not change things much.

--

All the other advice you are getting (to measure using REW, look at individual speakers, etc etc, if you have the time interest skill or patience to develop the skill) is ALSO good advice.

I think you have solved your biggest issue(s) with the small adjustments you have made and the new measurements.

But there is always room to improve even more, with additional work, if you are game. End of the day, ARC is one of the best auto EQ systems on the market. Some would say it is the best. (I would tend to agree.)

But that does not mean it is smarter than a human with excellent measurement practices, patience, and knowledge to adjust things even further.

--

The other thing to consider, of course, is whether there is a better location for your sub, and whether you can accept putting up some acoustic treatment on some of the walls (and maybe the ceiling).
I'll probably try this one out for a bit and see how it sounds, my limited knowledge makes me think I'm probably doing more harm than good if I make any manual adjustments. Really appreciate the help, thank you!

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
I'll probably try this one out for a bit and see how it sounds, my limited knowledge makes me think I'm probably doing more harm than good if I make any manual adjustments. Really appreciate the help, thank you!
You just can't do any harm really. The only harm is in not doing anything :)
You can easily revert back settings if you are not happy.
Its a never ending story though

·
Registered
586 Posts
When I look at the ARC results the legend for the red curve (in the program itself, not in the pdf) says it's the measured curve that includes the channel level adjustment. I think that's why the ARC results are about 10 db higher compared to the QM results.
thanks. I never noticed that. Guess it's another thing to look at when I rerun ARC when my room treatments show up next month.

·
Registered
994 Posts
when I measured my speakers individually at my listening position using ARC I was getting 66 db measured, is this the reason I am getting + 10 db on all speakers, I am around 12 feet away from fronts room is 12x 15, open in the back, 5.2.4 setup. on my marantz everything was at zero with sub to -5. ARC sets sub to +2.
on my other system the I had pioneer elite the calibration setting was almost 0 on front speakers and + 4-5 db on surrounds as they are not symmetrical distance to listening position, when I ran Dirac using lexicon RV-6 I have noticed everything jumped up 5 db across the board, very similar to what ARC is doing here, both lexicon and MRX1120 are so much better sounding than the AVR they replaced. I am just curious about why the higher levels. total new stuff for me, I never like the calibration pioneer did, Marantz was better. MRX 1120 sounds better just ryingto understand the logic what are factors, over all I see the db setting for speakers are very high on Anthem ARC to some extent on DIRAC also.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hey guys

Is there an option to do an 8 point cal with genesis?... I thought there was but can't see any options to enable to do more than 5 measurements.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
when I measured my speakers individually at my listening position using ARC I was getting 66 db measured, is this the reason I am getting + 10 db on all speakers, I am around 12 feet away from fronts room is 12x 15, open in the back, 5.2.4 setup. on my marantz everything was at zero with sub to -5. ARC sets sub to +2.
on my other system the I had pioneer elite the calibration setting was almost 0 on front speakers and + 4-5 db on surrounds as they are not symmetrical distance to listening position, when I ran Dirac using lexicon RV-6 I have noticed everything jumped up 5 db across the board, very similar to what ARC is doing here, both lexicon and MRX1120 are so much better sounding than the AVR they replaced. I am just curious about why the higher levels. total new stuff for me, I never like the calibration pioneer did, Marantz was better. MRX 1120 sounds better just ryingto understand the logic what are factors, over all I see the db setting for speakers are very high on Anthem ARC to some extent on DIRAC also.
Wish we understood the logic behind it :) I am afraid it's purely trial and error.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Hey guys

Is there an option to do an 8 point cal with genesis?... I thought there was but can't see any options to enable to do more than 5 measurements.

Cheers

Yes it is on the pre-measurement screen. Up to 10 positions if I am correct.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Dammit.... Wish I saw it lol....just ran it just before lol. Thanks Banyka!

just run it again. 10 minutes.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I think that the way it works is ARC has a target of 75db so it will try to push all speakers to that level. But when it compute a correction to 1 speaker and it does not want to correct more than +- 6db per speaker, so it will raise or lower the whole set to accommodate for the weakest one.
Also the processor has a finite resource for the dsp on how many point of correction it can do, so if you ask it for a wider bandwidth it will do more sparse correction.
And it can only listen to 1 speaker at a time and assume that you will phase align all the speaker and will give a mathematical estimate of the global average at the end.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
I ran my first ARC Genesis on a Sub 25. The report is attached. A noticeable improvement in sound was the result. Unless I inadvertently changed a setting, it was at defaults. Can you please take a look and let me know any comments or observations?
Thanks,

Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
need some help here again, its been about 8 months since i messed with genesis but i just made some changes in my theatre. i got new rear surrounds but also found out with atmos my rears and sides were way to high, so i ended up actually moving them down about 20". so i re ran my room correction (didn't update it). i took a quick listen and everything seems ok, but my centre channel still sounds weak. i did have correct up high on most channels as sometimes when i used to have it cranked up the very high frequencies would fatigues my ears. but i feel like maybe now i might miss out on dynamics. so wondering if i should set them down then do a tilt shift? also what could i do to help my centre channel out?
i remember last year i re ran room correction and i had such amazing sound from my system, my centre channel was so crisp and the bass was so much more pronounced (playing a game online every gun shot i took had a nice punch/kick, to it) i had never experienced it before and i loved it, but then i believe i ended up re running room correction for some reason and i never knew how i got that sound or even what version i was on at that point.
I'm wondering if i should start looking at cross over points or maybe distance settings ect.

·
Registered
584 Posts
You'll also need a UMIK-1 and REW to set proper distances because ARC Genesis doesn't do that for you. I set the subwoofer to 9', but after doing a sweep, check out that null! I kept changing the distance and running sweeps until I found the best response, which was 3'. You can also use REW and a UMIK-1 to confirm proper levels.

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
You'll also need a UMIK-1 and REW to set proper distances because ARC Genesis doesn't do that for you. I set the subwoofer to 9', but after doing a sweep, check out that null! I kept changing the distance and running sweeps until I found the best response, which was 3'. You can also use REW and a UMIK-1 to confirm proper levels.
i do have new and umik-1. i ran some sweeps after room correction but when i checked my distance for sub i checked sub only, i need to redo it with mains only, then sub only then find the best distance for my sub. as far as distances for all other speakers i used a tape measure.. am i doing those wrong?

·
Registered
584 Posts
i do have new and umik-1. i ran some sweeps after room correction but when i checked my distance for sub i checked sub only, i need to redo it with mains only, then sub only then find the best distance for my sub. as far as distances for all other speakers i used a tape measure.. am i doing those wrong?
That's what I did.

·
Registered
10,036 Posts
need some help here again, its been about 8 months since i messed with genesis but i just made some changes in my theatre. i got new rear surrounds but also found out with atmos my rears and sides were way to high, so i ended up actually moving them down about 20". so i re ran my room correction (didn't update it). i took a quick listen and everything seems ok, but my centre channel still sounds weak. i did have correct up high on most channels as sometimes when i used to have it cranked up the very high frequencies would fatigues my ears. but i feel like maybe now i might miss out on dynamics. so wondering if i should set them down then do a tilt shift? also what could i do to help my centre channel out?
i remember last year i re ran room correction and i had such amazing sound from my system, my centre channel was so crisp and the bass was so much more pronounced (playing a game online every gun shot i took had a nice punch/kick, to it) i had never experienced it before and i loved it, but then i believe i ended up re running room correction for some reason and i never knew how i got that sound or even what version i was on at that point.
I'm wondering if i should start looking at cross over points or maybe distance settings ect.
Simple next step: (takes ten minutes)

Post your Genesis results here in the thread. There are smart people who can look at the PDF and pinpoint likely issues you may have.

More complicated, but useful if step one doesn't help: (takes a few days)

Measure with REW and share the results.....do some reading and learning, watch some youtube videos, tweak your crossover and filers and room gain etc etc...... which is ultimately the most authoritative solution, but may not be necessary. Since you got something you liked before with just Genesis, you can probably get that, again.*

----
*I'm not saying manual measurement and adjustment is not useful, but it's not always necessary. Example:

In my case, Genesis got the distances for every speaker including the mono subs virtual distance just right. I double checked with REW. In some rooms, i understand that isn't the case.

In some cases, setting the crossover can be improved by measurements which help indicate whether 60 or 80 or 100 or 120 hz provide the best transition point. But often 80 hz is a safe starting point, and one can tell with just listening to sweeps (or even regular content) whether moving to 100 or 120 hz makes things better.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I re ran genesis today with 7 measurements instead of 5. did all 3 seats on the couch then made an x around the main listening position. i will post my results here. But after i ran rew with mains, and checked with a ton of distances on my sub channel and found the best with the least peaks and nulls in the curve. came down to either 3 feet or 12 feet and 12 feet was a better response by a tiny bit. i haven't had time to re listen. but i also tweaked my responses on genesis and then i ran each one on rew to see what differences there were. seems like from what genesis recommended i was able to boost 23 hz to 60hz, below 23 hz seems to remain the same.... running 4 dayton um18's sealed off 2 inuke 6000.

this is my first time sharing genesis results. hopefully they work... profiles (stock is what genesis suggested, movies, games and profile 4 has been modified)

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
Side note.. I checked my 4 profiles on rew and compared. Seeing as I have a boost from 23-60hz, I made profile 4 more flat. Am I right to think that making it more flat I should be able to turn it up louder for a more even response and keep my below 23hz just as loud without wanting to boost low end also?. Will be testing these profiles out tonight

2321 - 2340 of 2382 Posts