AVS Forum banner

2361 - 2380 of 2417 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dolby never got around to supporting Dolby Volume along with Dolby Atmos. You get one or the other. Not both.

If you don't like the sound with Dolby Volume turned off, and while playing high quality content (e.g., from a well mixed disc, not TV channels or streaming) then there is something wrong with your audio setup. Dolby Volume has its purposes I suppose, but making high quality content sound right ain't one of them.
--Bob
THANKS BOB. Any comment on my ARC GENESIS PROFILES IN MY HT.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I suppose maybe Anthem haven't localized their software for your country's version of the Windows operating system? It may be worth opening a ticket with their support team. They have been really helpful answering questions for me in the past. I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be working for you.
Nor I.
Have you tried redownloading and reinstalling Genesis? Maybe something got corrupted the first time.

·
Registered
366 Posts
t may be worth opening a ticket with their support team. They have been really helpful answering questions for me in the past.
Lucky you. The one occasion that I needed their support, I got nothing, not even an acknowledgement. Fortunately, I solved the issue myself.

10 Posts
I suppose maybe Anthem haven't localized their software for your country's version of the Windows operating system? It may be worth opening a ticket with their support team. They have been really helpful answering questions for me in the past. I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be working for you.
I tried to contact technical support several times but they did not get back to me for over a month

·
Registered
596 Posts
Maybe try Genesis 1.2.2? It's essentially the same as 1.2.3 (although 1.2.2 will always tell you to update to 1.2.2.0 - bug and 1.2.2. doesn't have the fix for a specific piece of Anthem gear).

Reactions: nathan_h

·
Registered
10,069 Posts
I tried to contact technical support several times but they did not get back to me for over a month
Darn. That's bad. I had good luck with them, even during this pandemic they would get back to me within a week.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the software and it still did not resolve the issue.
I'm already desperate.
I also tried FOXIT REDER and still nothing
My knowledge of Windows is very limited. On the Mac, one does not need to install an Acrobat or PDF software. The Anthem ARC Genesis software creates the PDF on its own.

Maybe try Genesis 1.2.2? It's essentially the same as 1.2.3 (although 1.2.2 will always tell you to update to 1.2.2.0 - bug and 1.2.2. doesn't have the fix for a specific piece of Anthem gear).
Good idea. Definitely worth a try!

----

Finally, I guess I should say: It totally sucks that you cannot get the PDF output. There is no excuse for it not working.

At the same time, the CORRECTION that ARC Genesis does, to improve the sound of your system, is the most important feature, and at least it is doing that for you!

If you want to share your results, I think you can post your .arc3 file (maybe has to be zipped or maybe you need to change the extention from .arc3 to .txt) as an attachment. Heck, some kind soul may be able and willing to open your arc3 file and create a PDF of your results.....

10 Posts
Darn. That's bad. I had good luck with them, even during this pandemic they would get back to me within a week.

My knowledge of Windows is very limited. On the Mac, one does not need to install an Acrobat or PDF software. The Anthem ARC Genesis software creates the PDF on its own.

Good idea. Definitely worth a try!

----

Finally, I guess I should say: It totally sucks that you cannot get the PDF output. There is no excuse for it not working.

At the same time, the CORRECTION that ARC Genesis does, to improve the sound of your system, is the most important feature, and at least it is doing that for you!

If you want to share your results, I think you can post your .arc3 file (maybe has to be zipped or maybe you need to change the extention from .arc3 to .txt) as an attachment. Heck, some kind soul may be able and willing to open your arc3 file and create a PDF of your results.....

·
Registered
596 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts
IN MBP(2019) ARC v 123 installed. but automatic version only available .CAN NOT ADJUST CURVES . previously in MBP (2012) all modes worked. any issue with SOLID STATE STORAGE IN NEW MAC?
Interesting. I'm currently using a 2015MBP with High Sierra (I think Mojave and esp. Catalina are not great in general). Yeah, no issues on the 2015 with SSD anyway. Not sure why SSD would matter in a new model?

·
Registered
Main system: Preamp STR + A23 + Tannoy Cheviot
45 Posts
I remember to have read different posts about the following question but maybe one of you has already summurazed it:. By default the maximum correction frequency is 5KHz and we know that there is a limited number (how many??) of parametric filters. What would be the most efficient maximum correction frequency? 1Khz, 2KHz?
I am asking that because when double checking with REW+UMIK1 with smoothing at 1/12 I can see peaks that are not corercted at all. Frankly speaking I can't see any correction above 1KHz...

·
Registered
10,069 Posts
It's less about efficiency regarding the number of filters and more about where correction helps most and hurts least.....which tends to be at lower frequencies, and tends to be when taming wider peaks, and tends to be when the issue exists across multiple measuring spots or can be corrected without creating problems in other measuring locations.

In other words, you may be seeing those results in REW because you measured with REW in one place instead of multiple locations and or didn't know that correcting all those peaks would have created worse problems and or etc.

It's why lots of folks choose the transition frequency in the room for the upper limit (which is typically around 400 or 500hz) for these reasons: above this range room modes disappear, correction becomes more likely to create audible artifacts, etc.

The chances are good you aren't running out of filters but that ARC is being less aggressive than you want. Switch the correction frequency to 500hz, upload it, and measure at EXACTLY the same spot. It will probably look like a similar REW graph.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I remember to have read different posts about the following question but maybe one of you has already summurazed it:. By default the maximum correction frequency is 5KHz and we know that there is a limited number (how many??) of parametric filters. What would be the most efficient maximum correction frequency? 1Khz, 2KHz?
I am asking that because when double checking with REW+UMIK1 with smoothing at 1/12 I can see peaks that are not corercted at all. Frankly speaking I can't see any correction above 1KHz...
You really don't want to correct above 500hz and somewhere between 200-350hz is recommended. I have mine set to 350hz, but I plan on re-running ARC sometime and I will lower it to 300hz. A microphone, unlike the human ear/brain, cannot differentiate between direct sound coming from a speaker and reflections coming off the walls/floor/ceiling/objects. You don't want to EQ reflections because that will make the direct radiating sounds from the speaker sound worse. Below ~500hz, it's okay to EQ because the room dictates the frequency response.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Dear nathan_h and blSwagger, thanks a lot for your quick replies. I understand and agree with you.
Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
276 Posts
i have always have left mine to eq where arc recommends, recently i dropped mine to 200 as between 200-500 I'm pretty flat so no eq is really needed, and to me it sounds better for sure. Happy i recently learned about that and continuing on trying to learn to make it even better. Just need to get my bass where I'm happy lol

·
Registered
255 Posts
@rorosone - The number of filters varies, depending on the model. Most room effects, as already stated, are below about 500 Hz or so, so many users prefer not to correct above there. In some cases -- as determined by ear -- correction higher is useful; for example, if walls are different on R and L sides, correction in the midrange and treble can stabilize the image, at least for a stereo system. (I've no experience with surround). And if you want to use the "tilt" feature of ARC, unless you correct full range there will be a discontinuity in response.

Regarding REW, don't forget that ARC averages over area and therefore doesn't "correct" effects that are not persistent across the listening area. If you are not averaging over area with REW, 1/12 octave smoothing will show lots of peaks and valleys that are very location-dependent. Ordinarily, one would not want to correct those.

Reactions: nathan_h

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have ARC GENESIS IN MBP (2019) . I FOUND I could not do do manual adjustment in reading. do not know why? Any way I watched movie in that AUTO calibration. Really ALL SPEAKERS came ALIVE IN MY ATMOS SETUP. I enjoyed it. My room is DEDECATED HT ROOM. Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
@Mike in NC - Many thanks for your detailed answer. Yes, it makes sense about REW and area average, as well as correction below 500Hz.
However I have a quite "big hole" around 780Hz (visible on the 5 acquisitions) which is attenuated by ARC. Maybe I should keep 1KHz as max correction frequency until I identify and maybe fix this issue?
There is just a point that I am not sure to properly understand: "And if you want to use the "tilt" feature of ARC, unless you correct full range there will be a discontinuity in response ". I understand that using the tilt feature implies to use the whole correction range (20KHz) to avoid any discontinuity. Is that correct? Thanks.

2361 - 2380 of 2417 Posts