AVS Forum banner

2641 - 2660 of 2702 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
sorry all the method seems will cause some issue, I hereby remove it first and will share again once I figure out how to fix it.

Reactions: madrac and iStorm

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
^^ Great post for those who choose to use REW!!

I am still trying to get used to the Anthem AVM60 sound personally coming from a 8805 Marantz and other high end Dirac machines. I like to tinker with settings so I have of course tried limiting frequency cut off, full range eq, 5khz eq, etc. I think I definitely prefer the deep bass boost up to 80hz which is similar to what I did with Dirac (boosted harman curve) but not sure about the room gain setting (i have it set to 0).

The main thing I'm trying to get used to on the AVM60 is the softer mids and highs. They definitely seem a lot softer which is good for my sensitive ears but may not be as detailed by being softer. This may just need some getting used to. I know others have mentioned the mids and the highs were "dull" but then they tried another AVR and went back to the Anthem and appreciated it.

Since I have an untreated room, eqing up to around 5khz should be best and I'm very familiar with calibrating so I know my settings are as spot on as I can get them. Limiting the EQ doesn't seem to be a difference if at all because of my odd living room I'm assuming.

The main thing as i mentioned is i definitely think the ARC calibration is not accurately done. The high trim levels don't make sense and calibrating the subs to 75db is not accurate either. The subs are much hotter than other systems I've had, which is fine but I don't really trust the levels because of this. It also seems like reference level master volume is -10, not 0 like other systems I have had.

These are my short observations after owning a lot of other processors/AVRs. I definitely think the AVM60 has potential but something does seem missing. The detail is there and so is the bass. I just can't really put my finger on it. It is just much different sounding than other processors I've had.

·
Registered
524 Posts
^^ Great post for those who choose to use REW!!

I am still trying to get used to the Anthem AVM60 sound personally coming from a 8805 Marantz and other high end Dirac machines. I like to tinker with settings so I have of course tried limiting frequency cut off, full range eq, 5khz eq, etc. I think I definitely prefer the deep bass boost up to 80hz which is similar to what I did with Dirac (boosted harman curve) but not sure about the room gain setting (i have it set to 0).

The main thing I'm trying to get used to on the AVM60 is the softer mids and highs. They definitely seem a lot softer which is good for my sensitive ears but may not be as detailed by being softer. This may just need some getting used to. I know others have mentioned the mids and the highs were "dull" but then they tried another AVR and went back to the Anthem and appreciated it.

Since I have an untreated room, eqing up to around 5khz should be best and I'm very familiar with calibrating so I know my settings are as spot on as I can get them. Limiting the EQ doesn't seem to be a difference if at all because of my odd living room I'm assuming.

The main thing as i mentioned is i definitely think the ARC calibration is not accurately done. The high trim levels don't make sense and calibrating the subs to 75db is not accurate either. The subs are much hotter than other systems I've had, which is fine but I don't really trust the levels because of this. It also seems like reference level master volume is -10, not 0 like other systems I have had.

These are my short observations after owning a lot of other processors/AVRs. I definitely think the AVM60 has potential but something does seem missing. The detail is there and so is the bass. I just can't really put my finger on it. It is just much different sounding than other processors I've had.

I compared with the both settings on high trim and highest freq eq (Flat + Max freq EQ vs. High trim roll off and 5K Max for eq as defaulted), I prefer Flat + Max freq EQ personally. The Room gain I left the default set by ARC as +6dB (crazy), I didn't use Deep Bass Boost but I added 3 dB to subwoofer in Anthem for more impact at last (I also tried added that 3dB in ARC but it caused me many side effect, I don't know why, but it was).

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I compared with the both settings on high trim and highest freq eq (Flat + Max freq EQ vs. High trim roll off and 5K Max for eq as defaulted), I prefer Flat + Max freq EQ personally. The Room gain I left the default set by ARC as +6dB (crazy), I didn't use Deep Bass Boost but I added 3 dB to subwoofer in Anthem for more impact at last (I also tried added that 3dB in ARC but it caused me many side effect, I don't know why, but it was).
Hey there and thank you for your reply!

So just to make sure I understand what worked best for you on your AVM60.

You have yours setup with these settings and like the sound:

-EQ set to 5khz
-Flat subwoofer curve
-ARCs calculated room gain (+6 for you)
-You manually add +3 to your subwoofer trim.

Does that sound right?

If so, my current settings are EQ to 5khz (I typically do EQ up to 20khz in other processors), flat subwoofer curve, 0.00 room gain, +6 Bass boost up to 80hz, and manually add +4 to subwoofer trim.

I have tried various settings and it seems the sound is good but has a much softer soubd for the mid and high end. I have read others have this experience but it grew on them.

Thank you!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Hey there and thank you for your reply!

So just to make sure I understand what worked best for you on your AVM60.

You have yours setup with these settings and like the sound:

-EQ set to 5khz
-Flat subwoofer curve
-ARCs calculated room gain (+6 for you)
-You manually add +3 to your subwoofer trim.

Does that sound right?

If so, my current settings are EQ to 5khz (I typically do EQ up to 20khz in other processors), flat subwoofer curve, 0.00 room gain, +6 Bass boost up to 80hz, and manually add +4 to subwoofer trim.

I have tried various settings and it seems the sound is good but has a much softer soubd for the mid and high end. I have read others have this experience but it grew on them.

Thank you!
Sorry for misleading you:-

1. All main speakers EQ until 20khz High Trim FLAT
2. Room Gain left at +6dB as ARC recommended (it will raised up the low freq from 200hz to 20hz, so it not only boost the subwoofer, it also boost the low frequencies in the main speakers)
3. Subwoofer curve I left at default as ARC recommended
4. Manually add 3dB to Subwoofer in Anthem channel level setting

If I feel dull and softer mid and high tone, I will lower the room gain.

·
Registered
719 Posts
@chhanthony
Nice post (#2641)
Curious if you compared the distances found by your method to those that REW will calculate?
Also, wondering if you tried higher cross-over in sub (eg >120, I think the max is 200 in the Anthem) and other speakers at either higher (eg max in Anthem) or lower (off or 0 in Anthem) to see how that impacted bass integration at final cross-over?

·
Registered
524 Posts
@chhanthony
Nice post (#2641)
Curious if you compared the distances found by your method to those that REW will calculate?
Also, wondering if you tried higher cross-over in sub (eg >120, I think the max is 200 in the Anthem) and other speakers at either higher (eg max in Anthem) or lower (off or 0 in Anthem) to see how that impacted bass integration at final cross-over?
I have measured all speakers and used time aligment tools in REW and then I input the calculated distance in Anthem and then measure again BUT I never get 0 delay when it should be.

Hope I can spend some time in coming holiday to test whether using different crossovers or different frequency test tones will make the distance/phase change, as this also a question which always appear in my head but I have no courage to try...hahaha haha.

But in theory, transparency of different frequencies should in same speed.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Sorry for misleading you:-

1. All main speakers EQ until 20khz High Trim FLAT
2. Room Gain left at +6dB as ARC recommended (it will raised up the low freq from 200hz to 20hz, so it not only boost the subwoofer, it also boost the low frequencies in the main speakers)
3. Subwoofer curve I left at default as ARC recommended
4. Manually add 3dB to Subwoofer in Anthem channel level setting

If I feel dull and softer mid and high tone, I will lower the room gain.
Thank you for confirming. I am definitely going to try to do more tweaking, especially with the room gain. When I tried the room gain setting at various levels I didn't like that it also adds extra bass to the main speakers which seems more artifical compared to what I'm used to.

I think as others have mentioned, the mids and highs are softer due to the Anthem products being more natural than other processors I've had. The Marantz 8805 is a good example of this where that processor has a very warm sound. The Arcam AV40 I had seemed like it had a fairly neutral sound but the highs seemed more dynamic with Dirac.

I am going to play around with it more today but the natural sound isn't bad by any means. I'm just not used to this so I need to give it time but I can definitely tell it is much better on my sensitive ears. Even with the 8805 having a warm sound and eqing the mid and upper range flat, these frequencies had more dynamics to them. I can usually tell if it pierces my ears a bit since it makes it a bit brighter.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I am starting to like the room gain setting a lot more than I thought. Now it is going to be a tough decision to use a higher bass boost to increase the low end of the target curve or use room gain to increase the curve to 150hz-200hz instead.

I have also setup 4 different inputs with the same bluray HDMI input. I have added 4 separate different profiles to each bluray input so I can easily switch between settings. I did one at a limited EQ correction of 300hz, one at 400hz, a 5khz one, and 20khz one.

Is there any specific content you guys use to test the differences between these cut off points? My wife and I have a difficult time discerning a difference between the different correction points.

It seems like we may just settle on 5khz since Anthem recommends this especially for weird rooms. Our "theater" is in a living room where there is an opening to the kitchen and then another small opening to the middle hallway. So we do not have a door to enclose it. We use blackout curtains for the sliding doors and then have some bookshelves on mainly the side walls that should help with reflections. It is untreated with no acoustic panels.

Please let me know your thoughts. We are definitely getting used to the more natural sound of the AVM60 and plan on getting The AVM70 since the Anthem brand is stable and a great value compared to other processors in this range. Thanks!

·
Registered
719 Posts
No specific content. I look at my curves and see where the measured isn't as smooth/flat below about 500 hz and beyond. I've got one to 250 hz and a second to 1 khz.

Note, you could also look at your curves for each speaker (pair) and see how flat they are beyond say 300 hz (and ignoring the roll off at the high end, if any). With Genesis, you can set correction level differently for each. EG, you can correct fronts to x hz, center to y, surrounds to z, etc.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
No specific content. I look at my curves and see where the measured isn't as smooth/flat below about 500 hz and beyond. I've got one to 250 hz and a second to 1 khz.

Note, you could also look at your curves for each speaker (pair) and see how flat they are beyond say 300 hz (and ignoring the roll off at the high end, if any). With Genesis, you can set correction level differently for each. EG, you can correct fronts to x hz, center to y, surrounds to z, etc.
Thank you. I already do this and have done it for awhile. I'm assuming that's probably why I don't hear too big of a difference from 300-500hz and 5khz. From what I could see on my graphs with Audyssey and Dirac with my speakers, it always seemed like around 300hz to 500hz would be the best spot to cut off the EQ. I ended up correcting a lot higher with Audyssey and Dirac most likely because of my odd shaped semi open room so I didn't know if there was something specific I was listening for lol. I know it is all subjective in the end.

Since ARC has more limited filters and I want to utilize them the best I can, I am assuming cutting the EQ off lower may be the best option. I just hope it doesn't negatively affect my sound given the not so ideal room that I have.

·
Registered
11,598 Posts
Dont worry about trying to maximize the number of filters. ARC seems smart enough to use them on the most important spots. If you have a challenging room, try correcting the full audible range. Luckily you can upload several different profiles and try them out and see what sounds best.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Dont worry about trying to maximize the number of filters. ARC seems smart enough to use them on the most important spots. If you have a challenging room, try correcting the full audible range. Luckily you can upload several different profiles and try them out and see what sounds best.
Hey there,

I have tried various corrections, including correcting full range and they all sound similar. Does this mean I should go full range or limit it to where my curves don't really need as much correction? (After 300-500hz)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Hey there,

I have tried various corrections, including correcting full range and they all sound similar. Does this mean I should go full range or limit it to where my curves don't really need as much correction? (After 300-500hz)?

Thanks!
If they all sound similar, I'd limit it.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
If they all sound similar, I'd limit it.
Thank you! I'm still experimenting with them but it is very very difficult to tell a difference between them from my untrained ears.

I know with Audyssey I couldn't really tell a difference with my speakers set to 20khz with XT32 and limiting correction to around 300-500hz either but people told me to do the opposite and correct to the full range, lol!

I just didn't know if I should strictly go off of the fact that my room is untreated with openings in it and that's why 5khz or 20khz may be better on certain movies.

What I do to test is play the same scene over and over and just keep switching between the 4 inputs I set up with the exact same settings except for one is corrected at 300hz, one at 500hz, one at 5khz, and one finally at 20khz. I'm not sure if I'm not choosing the best scenes in movies but no matter which input I choose, all of them sound great to my ears. I'm sure there are differences but it is very hard to pick up on.

Just for reference I use SVS ultra setup that are pretty flat speakers after about 300-400hz. That's why I figured correcting to around there would be good but given my imperfect room, I thought maybe since I didn't notice a big difference, I may want the extra EQ for the untreated semi open room.

Sorry to make it so complex! I just wanted to know if there was a certain movie or certain sound I was looking for that would be the ultimate deciding factor here. Even my wife cannot tell the difference in a blind test. She says she thinks one sounds better but since we can't do the tests at the same time, then it is impossible to know if we are "remembering the sound in that scene correctly."

·
Registered
11,598 Posts
Try listening to two channel music. If there are any kinds of music you like with natural instruments (jazz, classical, movie scores, folk, etc) recorded in a natural space all together, that will be best. A movie soundtrack is really hard to judge by using a short snippet. But our ears are attuned to what physical instruments sound like and what hearing them in a room sounds like, so you are giving yourself a better chance to notice differences.

·
Registered
524 Posts
sorry all,

the methodI posted in above seems will cause some issues, I hereby remove it first and will share again once I figure out how to fix it.

Reactions: nathan_h

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Try listening to two channel music. If there are any kinds of music you like with natural instruments (jazz, classical, movie scores, folk, etc) recorded in a natural space all together, that will be best. A movie soundtrack is really hard to judge by using a short snippet. But our ears are attuned to what physical instruments sound like and what hearing them in a room sounds like, so you are giving yourself a better chance to notice differences.
I will definitely give it a go with 2 channel music to see if I can see the differences. You're right, there is definitely a lot going on in movies so it definitely is difficult to pick up on the differences since they all sound pretty good. Thanks for the recommendation!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I listened to 2 channel orchestra music and also watched some scenes in Harry Potter where they play orchestra music only. I still cannot discern a difference unfortunately between limiting correction at 300hz and 5khz. Either my wife and I are missing something or my speakers are pretty good without the extra EQ even though I'm in a pretty open living room. Thoughts on this?

Also, I am still noticing on the AVM60 that the highs especially are pretty soft/dull sounding compared to other processors I've had. I'm not sure if this is just something I need to get used to or not. I have noticed others say this as well. I also had a 7705 Marantz that my parents still own and the highs not dull or soft. That processor has the same DACs as the AVM60 so I figured they might be somewhat similar but definitely not.

·
Registered
11,598 Posts
I have heard of people saying that even when telling ARC to limit corrections to a certain frequency that sometimes it still corrects above that frequency. Maybe that is what is happening?

Also, ARC can be very subtle in some situations where it decides that doing more to the audio would create some harm, so it might be doing very little in your room, I suppose.

That said the fact that the unit sound dull versus your older processor is a little strange. Does it sound this way when ARC is off?

I can't hear what you are hearing of course, but if this was my setup, in the absence of any better advice, I might do a factory re-set and run ARC fresh with ten measurements all within a foot of where my head is when watching a movie....

2641 - 2660 of 2702 Posts