AVS Forum banner

2661 - 2680 of 2702 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I have heard of people saying that even when telling ARC to limit corrections to a certain frequency that sometimes it still corrects above that frequency. Maybe that is what is happening?

Also, ARC can be very subtle in some situations where it decides that doing more to the audio would create some harm, so it might be doing very little in your room, I suppose.

That said the fact that the unit sound dull versus your older processor is a little strange. Does it sound this way when ARC is off?

I can't hear what you are hearing of course, but if this was my setup, in the absence of any better advice, I might do a factory re-set and run ARC fresh with ten measurements all within a foot of where my head is when watching a movie....
Hey again,

I want to say ARC off may have made it a tad brighter/more neutral but ARC OFF was much louder so I didn't try it long. I'm assuming I would need to take an SPL meter and use test tones to get all of the speakers level matched to 75db (maybe not?)

I have heard others mention the highs especially being dull compared to other receivers so it may just be the sound signature the Anthem has. Everything else sounds great so it is kind of bothering me.

Also, I do believe ARC must still be doing stuff past the frequency cutoff which is why I am getting an even duller sound on the highs. I can test ARC OFF but it is much louder so I have to turn the volume down quite a bit which is going to affect my sub volume as well. If I lower the volume with ARC OFF I will probably need to increase the subs by a bit, especially because I use room gain.

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
Yes, to compare ARC on and off, you would want to turn down the volume with ARC off.

In theory you don't need to change the trim settings or increase the sub. If should be linear and still balanced -- just everything louder -- but run the test tones and use an SPL meter (phone app is fine) to make sure everything measures the same when using the units test tones with ARC off.

About room gain: Maybe you'll want to inclrese the sub level but in theory most rooms have gain...so it might not need much. That being said, lots of people, me included, like the sub to be as much as 3 or 5db too hot, as a sort of poor man's house curve. Sounds a lot more like a cinema that way :)

·
Registered
587 Posts
The idea that arc corrects above the limit is all through the anthem threads. From other posts it seems that’s you can’t correct a limited range without coloring the full range somewhat.

I noticed less lively music when I got the anthem, switching from Marantz. After a month I ended up preferring hearing minute details anthem offered, that I never heard with Marantz.

Lots of people turn it off for music and turn it on for movies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
The idea that arc corrects above the limit is all through the anthem threads. From other posts it seems that’s you can’t correct a limited range without coloring the full range somewhat.

I noticed less lively music when I got the anthem, switching from Marantz. After a month I ended up preferring hearing minute details anthem offered, that I never heard with Marantz.

Lots of people turn it off for music and turn it on for movies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This definitely makes sense now that I have tried everything with the ARC EQ and cannot get rid of the soft highers. It is better for my ears but the highs just seem muted compared to other processors.

When I auditioned this AVM60 I was really hoping to like it enough to warrant getting the AVM70 since it would come out still within my exchange period but sadly I just prefer other processors I've had. This as mentioned comes down to the EQ aspect of it. I thought I would prefer ARC over Audyssey and maybe it would be in line with the Dirac processors that I have had, but I have decided to go back to Denon.

I have always seen Denon and Marantz as very reliable machines with Marantz being warmer in sound and Denon as a more neutral sound. With the having so much experience with the Audyssey app and Dirac, those are my two options. I chose Audyssey (Denon x8500) in the end because my room NEEDS EQ.

I would recommend Anthem products if you do not need EQ but for me, the EQ on Dirac and Audyssey are just better in my room. This coupled with the fact that we are movie collectors and need a very reliable processor is the reason why I am going back to Denon and no longer looking into other processors.

With all of that being said, I would still consider Anthem in the future but at that point I might get a Dirac machine if they work out the bugs (I'm not hopeful of this for at least a couple of years minimum IMO).

Thanks for all of those here who have helped try to get the sound to my taste. The Anthem sound is just not for me especially with ARC enabled in my room.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have heard of people saying that even when telling ARC to limit corrections to a certain frequency that sometimes it still corrects above that frequency. Maybe that is what is happening?

Also, ARC can be very subtle in some situations where it decides that doing more to the audio would create some harm, so it might be doing very little in your room, I suppose.

That said the fact that the unit sound dull versus your older processor is a little strange. Does it sound this way when ARC is off?

I can't hear what you are hearing of course, but if this was my setup, in the absence of any better advice, I might do a factory re-set and run ARC fresh with ten measurements all within a foot of where my head is when watching a movie....
Why a factory reset? If to remove any uploaded ARC calibration, no need. There's an option in Genesis software to remove any uploaded correction filters.

iStorm - if you are doing a comparison with ARC ON vs OFF, make sure you level match the volumes with ARC OFF (eg remove the room gain from the sub trim level).

·
Registered
719 Posts
Factory reset often solves computer glitches like software, eg ARC, misbehaving.
Thanks. Agreed that it's a way to resolve glitches (but as a last resort, IMHO).

Reactions: nathan_h

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hello,
need an advise: my first run of arc genesis and need some recomendation. see attach

Anthem str amplifier +dali rubicon 8
Cables: atlas ascent+voodoo tesla
First off, the speakers seem to have great corrected response, but the stop at 5Khz leaves the tweaters way too hot. I think you would hear this as just much to sharp highs. I would look at a few things.

1. Try correcting to 20Khz and see if you can bring your highs down to the level of the rest of your curve. Most research indicates that you want downward sloping response at the top part of the range
  2. You may want to try some deep bass boost. I would center at 50Hz and try 3dB of response. It will definitely give body and impact to rock music - play with it and see where you find it natural but impactful
I would otherwise think you should find the sound good. What do you think when you listen to it corrected vs. uncorrected?

·
Registered
2 Posts
First off, the speakers seem to have great corrected response, but the stop at 5Khz leaves the tweaters way too hot. I think you would hear this as just much to sharp highs. I would look at a few things.

1. Try correcting to 20Khz and see if you can bring your highs down to the level of the rest of your curve. Most research indicates that you want downward sloping response at the top part of the range
  2. You may want to try some deep bass boost. I would center at 50Hz and try 3dB of response. It will definitely give body and impact to rock music - play with it and see where you find it natural but impactful
I would otherwise think you should find the sound good. What do you think when you listen to it corrected vs. uncorrected?
Hello,
Thank's for recommendation,but in my case high frequencies became dull and in general, musicality has disappeared.
Much better with auto ARC. Anyway i love my uncorrected sound except bass line.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hello,
Thank's for recommendation,but in my case high frequencies became dull and in general, musicality has disappeared.
It could be that your ear has gotten used the tweeter having higher level (which is fine). Just make sure you don't have your speakers next to windows or other reflecting surfaces that affect more of the higher frequencies.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hello,
I see two approaches to this. First is to run ARC just through your bass frequencies (Schroeder cut off) - this would mean stopping ARC correction at about 2500Hz - 400Hz depending on your preference. This would mean that there is no ARC correction on the high frequencies.

The second option is to run ARC full range (up to 20KHz). Then use the tilt function to control the tilt of the frequencies - this is how much the high frequencies get attenuated. You can have no tilt or even try different variations.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I love my uncorrected sound except bass line.
As pointed out, you can run ARC only through the bass range (however you define that) if you only want to correct the bass. If you do that, here is a critical point. With correction over a limited frequency range, the "speaker level" settings in ARC are tremendously important in controlling overall tonal balance. That's because speaker levels set the level of the (uncorrected) treble, in contrast to the level of the corrected bass, which is set by the target curve. This moving the speaker levels up or down by 0.5 dB can change the overall balance quite noticeably.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Unfortunately, ARC still seems to impact higher frequencies even if you limit the correction to the bass region (eg. 250 hz and lower).

·
Registered
298 Posts
Unfortunately, ARC still seems to impact higher frequencies even if you limit the correction to the bass region (eg. 250 hz and lower).
That is really peculiar, isn't it? I've seen it reported by several users, though I've not experienced it myself. In my experience there is (at least according to the graphs) a small region above fmax where the correction tapers down, but I've not seen (or heard) interactions that would be of concern. I wonder under what circumstances this happens, and why it affects some cases and not others.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just noticed in my PDF from ARC genesis it says my sub is at -2db but after uploading the arc genesis data my sub says +1db in the level calibration menu 🤔 that happen to anyone else?

·
Registered
Main system: Preamp STR + A23 + Tannoy Cheviot
58 Posts
That is really peculiar, isn't it? I've seen it reported by several users, though I've not experienced it myself. In my experience there is (at least according to the graphs) a small region above fmax where the correction tapers down, but I've not seen (or heard) interactions that would be of concern. I wonder under what circumstances this happens, and why it affects some cases and not others.
Isn't it a similar "constatation" that I commented some months ago? I added one dB on the right channel to reach a good balance and the sound is really good at my listening position.
Unfortunately I do not understand why Genesis ARC has attenuated this right channel on the whole bandwidth...And there is no information in the documents about such adjustment and nothing in the generated PDF. I am waiting for the new software release.

2661 - 2680 of 2702 Posts