AVS Forum banner

3341 - 3360 of 3513 Posts

·
Read the FAQ!
35,739 Posts
^ Odds are you have the Sub's own internal Crossover enabled at 80Hz. (You'd also get this with a "THX" setting in the Sub.)

On the Sub itself, set the Sub to disable or bypass its internal Crossover. If there is no option for that, set its internal Crossover to the highest frequency available to get it out of the way as much as possible.

For some Subs, there is a separate input jack to use when you want to bypass the Sub's internal Crossover.
--Bob

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hello All,

I am relatively new to this forum and have been reading up as much I can regd ARC calibration....Attached is the calibration PDF and I am looking for some inputs that could make it any better. The profile named "base" is what the ARC created and the rest are some tweaks I am trying to play with. Overall I am pleased I would say, except for the dialogues from center channel - without room correction there seem to be better vocals from center channel as compared to after calibration where it gets "little dull" and I also see the overall volume level being getting low with ARC on but I get more head room. Even though I increase the volume to match it the center channel is still not as rounded compared to when ARC is turned off.

Is that normal or is there something that can be done based on the curve that I had attached? Appreciate any inputs..

Thanks
Andy
For what it's worth I went back to version 9006 which I gather seems to work better for some using AVM60 and attached is the response curve. The trims have gone up by 2-3db compared to the current version (1.3.25) and I am happy with that sound profile as is sounds but fuller and bit more dynamic compared to the 1.3.25 I tried before. I also tried matching the trim level by reloading the measurement from 1.3.25 and to be same as 9006 version but still it sounded a bit anemic - so there is something more than trim level that's going on between the two versions. Going to leave it on the 9006 version for now and keep an eye out on any new fixes/release from anthem. If time permits might tru 8867 version and see....

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
If you remove ARC settings using Genesis, is there a way to confirm these are actually removed? I thought that N/A might show in the Input set up for Anthem Room Correction

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just got done running REW with miniDSP for the first time ever. What a process that is!!! My question is I'm about to rerun ARC. Should I set the my 2 subs to none in ARC and run ARC as to not mess the miniDSP, and then when done turn the subs back on.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I just got done running REW with miniDSP for the first time ever. What a process that is!!! My question is I'm about to rerun ARC. Should I set the my 2 subs to none in ARC and run ARC as to not mess the miniDSP, and then when done turn the subs back on.
I've heard people do it both ways. I left my subs on when running ARC after calibrating with REW/miniDSP. The idea is that ARC will fine tune and smooth out whatever it is you did. Other people prefer to shut ARC off. I suppose you can try it with your subs on and see if you like the results. If not, you can always re-run ARC and keep your subs off.

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
I think Anthem has previously suggested running any local or external sub EQ first then run ARC, such that ARC has the "last word" so to speak.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Really stumped on why Genesis apparently won't remove an uploaded file. Tried several things today:
  1. reinstall firmware (latest official) - nope.
  2. Installed beta firmware (1.6xxx - the one where test tones don't work - at least for some) - nope.
  3. Back to latest official firmware. Nope.
  4. Factory reset - yes - removed ARC.
  5. Ran new cal on mains only and uploaded. Tried to remove cal - nope.
  6. Factory reset - didn't upload any ARC files.
Did send an email to Anthem tech support --- will see what/if they reply.

Anyone have a newer firmware then 1.4095 or 1.6098 (newest beta I have)?

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I figured out awhile back that you can’t remove an uploaded profile...I tried. That being said, you can always overwrite it with a new one, or the other option is to do a factory reset if you don’t want any trace of ARC left on the DSP.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
thanks, BRAC.
I did the factory reset to clear it. Currently no ARC profile uploaded as I want the MRX "Clean" before redoing subs with REW. Not a biggie as I don't use ARC for music (and now have added a 2 channel preamp to bypass the Anthem entirely for music). I did keep ARC on for the very occasional movie but haven't decided whether or not to remeasure/upload for this activity.

That said, I could swear that I was able to remove ARC profiles in the past via the option in Genesis...

Reactions: BRAC

·
Registered
62 Posts
^ Odds are you have the Sub's own internal Crossover enabled at 80Hz. (You'd also get this with a "THX" setting in the Sub.)

On the Sub itself, set the Sub to disable or bypass its internal Crossover. If there is no option for that, set its internal Crossover to the highest frequency available to get it out of the way as much as possible.

For some Subs, there is a separate input jack to use when you want to bypass the Sub's internal Crossover.
--Bob
I have the xover on the subs disabled.
Theyre svs ultras so they allow the xover to be disabled via the app
It was my first guess also.
I really think ARC is forcing the xover.
If i remove all the xovers via ARC the subs wont run at all? As in no sound?
It has to be ARC gen

·
Registered
116 Posts
For what it's worth I went back to version 9006 which I gather seems to work better for some using AVM60 and attached is the response curve. The trims have gone up by 2-3db compared to the current version (1.3.25) and I am happy with that sound profile as is sounds but fuller and bit more dynamic compared to the 1.3.25 I tried before. I also tried matching the trim level by reloading the measurement from 1.3.25 and to be same as 9006 version but still it sounded a bit anemic - so there is something more than trim level that's going on between the two versions. Going to leave it on the 9006 version for now and keep an eye out on any new fixes/release from anthem. If time permits might tru 8867 version and see....

Thanks
I have never tried using SUBWOOFER(S) Subwoofer Crossover Frequency (or Low-Frequency Extension): 250 Hz
For me, Arc usually suggests 180Hz. I left it there for my movie profile but for music I usually lower it to 140.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have never tried using SUBWOOFER(S) Subwoofer Crossover Frequency (or Low-Frequency Extension): 250 Hz
For me, Arc usually suggests 180Hz. I left it there for my movie profile but for music I usually lower it to 140.
Thats strange its mentioned like 250Hz as Low Freq extension in the report file but in actual graph its the High Freq extension thats 250Hz and low freq extension is 15Hz. Attached is the screen capture of the graph. I use dual SVS SB16 Ultra.

Exploring the option of using REW to fine tune my SUBs and not use ARC and see how that sounds....

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
Always leave your subs on. Then when in adjustments for the responses go down to subwoofer. Set max freq to 250hz. Then set min correction frequency to 250hz also. This will allow arc to see your subs and let it be apart of your whole response but it won’t make any corrections to it. You shouldn’t let 2 programs eq. So if you use rew and minidsp then leave it at that and don’t let arc also eq it. This is how I’ve done mine and works fine.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I've tried it both ways - just eq'ing with REW/miniDSP (first, before ARC) or doing REW/miniDSP, then ARC to make any final adjustments. Personally, going forward, I'll just do REW/miniDSP to eq subs and keep ARC off. I've never used ARC for music (doesn't sound as good to me) and only the occasional movie. I also find ARC to be a bit "buggy" - for example, there is an option to remove the ARC calibration from the processor in Genesis menu, but it doesn't seem to work as far as I can tell (emailed Anthem but no reply yet). Further, I'm not completely sure if ARC still "touches" the sound even if turned off in an Input (have read others have same impression). As I'm in process of redoing everything as I've added a dedicated 2-channel preamp for music to my system and the Anthem will be strictly for HT, I don't plan to rerun ARC. Went ahead and did a factory reset to ensure previous calibration was removed - did have to redo all my settings manually (wish there was a way to save user settings to a USB like on my Oppo)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Always leave your subs on. Then when in adjustments for the responses go down to subwoofer. Set max freq to 250hz. Then set min correction frequency to 250hz also. This will allow arc to see your subs and let it be apart of your whole response but it won’t make any corrections to it. You shouldn’t let 2 programs eq. So if you use rew and minidsp then leave it at that and don’t let arc also eq it. This is how I’ve done mine and works fine.
Do you mean setting the 250hz before running arc or after?

·
Registered
27 Posts
when you said max freq, I don't see it . I see high freq extension....is that the one to change to 250hz?

·
Registered
319 Posts
when you said max freq, I don't see it . I see high freq extension....is that the one to change to 250hz?
After you have run arc, then go to adjust settings in genesis. Set max freq (first setting under sub) to 250hz meaning it will allow the sub to play up to 250hz. Then min eq freq normally people would put 15hz ect. Set that to also 250hz. So arc won’t eq your sub below 250hz. Then after you have uploaded to your avr/pre make sure your subs bass freq is crossed over at 120hz.. hopefully that make sense. I don’t have a screen shot on hand at the moment

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have an issue getting ARC Genesis to work with the new MRX 540 and wonder if anyone can help with what is going on – while I wait for Anthem to respond…..

Arc is the latest version 1.3.25 and the MRX540 has the latest firmware I believe 00.54/00.03. I have exactly the same issue from a desktop and a laptop both running Win 10.

The MRX is connected to the local network via ethernet and the web UI works fine.

When I kick off ARC it sees the MRX on the network and continues. It shows the speaker configuration screens and if I then continue it shows me the microphone and allows me to select it.
After initializing it says ‘Measuring form position 1’ , I click Start and I hear may be 10 test tones from the first Front speaker. Then the message ‘Critical audio problem’ appears. I can click Resume and it may do one more and present the same error or may be a sequence again, but it always fails in the same way.

ARC appears to access the microphone as I can see in the Windows privacy settings that it lists ARC as currently using it when doing the above..

I’ve seen others saying that the microphone level in Windows needs to be set at 100, but whenever I run ARC it resets the level back to 35 (in the device properties). I’ve noticed that if I test the microphone at this level in windows, i.e. 35, it appears to hear nothing. If I increase to 60+ then the windows test does hear something and at 100 it seems to have good levels. Is this what the issue is or is this a red herring? If it is, how do I stop ARC from setting it back to 35 every time I run it??

Any assistance / advice would be gratefully received.

As a side issue, I’ve noticed that if I do any config changes manually via the web UI before running ARC then after selecting the microphone in ARC it just appears to get ‘stuck’ at initializing and never goes any further.. Once I’ve run the Factory reset on the MRX it will proceed past initializing to the main issue above!

3341 - 3360 of 3513 Posts