AVS Forum banner

3361 - 3380 of 3513 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have an issue getting ARC Genesis to work with the new MRX 540 and wonder if anyone can help with what is going on – while I wait for Anthem to respond…..

Arc is the latest version 1.3.25 and the MRX540 has the latest firmware I believe 00.54/00.03. I have exactly the same issue from a desktop and a laptop both running Win 10.

The MRX is connected to the local network via ethernet and the web UI works fine.

When I kick off ARC it sees the MRX on the network and continues. It shows the speaker configuration screens and if I then continue it shows me the microphone and allows me to select it.
After initializing it says ‘Measuring form position 1’ , I click Start and I hear may be 10 test tones from the first Front speaker. Then the message ‘Critical audio problem’ appears. I can click Resume and it may do one more and present the same error or may be a sequence again, but it always fails in the same way.

ARC appears to access the microphone as I can see in the Windows privacy settings that it lists ARC as currently using it when doing the above..

I’ve seen others saying that the microphone level in Windows needs to be set at 100, but whenever I run ARC it resets the level back to 35 (in the device properties). I’ve noticed that if I test the microphone at this level in windows, i.e. 35, it appears to hear nothing. If I increase to 60+ then the windows test does hear something and at 100 it seems to have good levels. Is this what the issue is or is this a red herring? If it is, how do I stop ARC from setting it back to 35 every time I run it??

Any assistance / advice would be gratefully received.

As a side issue, I’ve noticed that if I do any config changes manually via the web UI before running ARC then after selecting the microphone in ARC it just appears to get ‘stuck’ at initializing and never goes any further.. Once I’ve run the Factory reset on the MRX it will proceed past initializing to the main issue above!
I think I can answer part of your question:

It seems that ARC requires 'exclusive access' to the microphone, which sets the level to 35. You can attempt to set something different, but it will always revert to 35 shortly afterwards. If you disable 'exclusive access' you can set whatever level you like: however, you then get a 'critical error' message & cannot use the mic!

One way round this is to go to the calibration level setting in the web ui & set it to -10 or similar in order to get the test tones up to the required level.

·
Read the FAQ!
35,739 Posts
^ This sounds like Windows has proper access to the device driver for the Anthem mic, but the app is not able to capture the digitized mic audio.

In prior versions of Windows, and prior ARC, this could happen if the Windows installation was minimal — lacking the media features frameworks the app uses to accomplish this. The fix was to go into the Windows features setup and add those frameworks (not a complete reinstall of Windows).

I’ve no idea whether the new ARC Genesis can have the same problem with Windows 10.
—Bob

·
Registered
10 Posts
One way round this is to go to the calibration level setting in the web ui & set it to -10 or similar in order to get the test tones up to the required level.
Thanks, I assume you mean the calibration level under the Speakers -> Profile 1? I've tried changing that up and down and the test tone that ARC generates doesn't appear to alter ? Am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
10 Posts
^ This sounds like Windows has proper access to the device driver for the Anthem mic, but the app is not able to capture the digitized mic audio.

In prior versions of Windows, and prior ARC, this could happen if the Windows installation was minimal — lacking the media features frameworks the app uses to accomplish this. The fix was to go into the Windows features setup and add those frameworks (not a complete reinstall of Windows).

I’ve no idea whether the new ARC Genesis can have the same problem with Windows 10.
—Bob
Thank you, I think I have most media options installed, but I'll scan the list of 'frameworks' and see if anything leaps out as not installed.

·
Registered
Panasonic DP-UB824, Oppo BDP93, Athem AVM60, Naim NAP200/150x , MartinLogan Motion15, Arendal 1961s
10 Posts
Thank you, I think I have most media options installed, but I'll scan the list of 'frameworks' and see if anything leaps out as not installed.
I always need to run my arc genesis as administrator -- but I guess that is so obvious that you already tried it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I always need to run my arc genesis as administrator -- but I guess that is so obvious that you already tried it.
Nothing is ever obvious until you know it :) I think I'm an admin on the machine, but will try 'Run as Admin ' specifically and see.. Thanks!

·
Registered
Panasonic DP-UB824, Oppo BDP93, Athem AVM60, Naim NAP200/150x , MartinLogan Motion15, Arendal 1961s
10 Posts
Nothing is ever obvious until you know it :) I think I'm an admin on the machine, but will try 'Run as Admin ' specifically and see.. Thanks!
Well said :)

I only came across this because I use windows remote desktop to do the calibration so that I do not have to be in the same room when the measurements are taken and for some reason I can only control arc genesis remotely when I specifically run it as administrator.

And btw I usually get the critical audio error once at the beginning but when I choose to continue everything works until the end.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks, I assume you mean the calibration level under the Speakers -> Profile 1? I've tried changing that up and down and the test tone that ARC generates doesn't appear to alter ? Am I doing something wrong?
Yes, that's the one. However, I now recall that, under the beta version of ARC you could do this through the web ui or the amp itself, but it is not working under the latest version of ARC!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I only came across this because I use windows remote desktop to do the calibration so that I do not have to be in the same room when the measurements are taken and for some reason I can only control arc genesis remotely when I specifically run it as administrator.

And btw I usually get the critical audio error once at the beginning but it when I choose to continue everything works until the end.
Unfortunately specifically running as Admin made no difference for me... :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Today I have managed to find the ArcLog.txt file which logs the interactions between Arc and the MRX/Microphone. I can see that it connects to the MRX and carries out all its initialisations and then connects to the microphone and resets its levels :
[2021-04-09 14:05:19.231] [AUDIO_RECORDER] [info] [audio_recorder.cpp:33] Initializing audio capture
[2021-04-09 14:05:19.301] [AUDIO_RECORDER] [info] [audio_recorder.cpp:56] using microphone correction for 1b35_1019_windows

and then after its started the 'Start/Stop Log Chirp' command it generates the error :
[2021-04-09 14:05:31.343] [AUDIO_RECORDER] [info] [audio_recorder.cpp:138] Proc created
[2021-04-09 14:05:31.385] [AUDIO_RECORDER] [error] [audio_recorder.cpp:169] Poor audio quality: Error: measurement was not able to acquire a proper response. (code 0x03)
[2021-04-09 14:05:31.385] [MEASUREMENT] [info] [level_check.cpp:288] error.

It does seem to be an issue that the program is setting the mic input level too low so that it can't then 'hear' the chirp perhaps?? :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
It does seem to be an issue that the program is setting the mic input level too low so that it can't then 'hear' the chirp perhaps?? :(
Are you using a specific calibration file for your mic? Have you tried different USB cables? (I know that they should not make a difference, especially since Windows sees the mic and deliberately changes the input level, but who knows...).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok.. So now I have fixed it..

It seemed to be a physical issue with the Microphone. I unscrewed the top of the microphone and then screwed it back down again. I noticed there were 2 bits of black rubber either side on the inside. May be one of those was previous blocking the sound, but immediately after doing that windows test could 'hear' sounds when the input level was 35. Then immediately I tried ARC and it works perfectly :) Phew... Thanks for the advice folks..

·
Read the FAQ!
35,739 Posts
Ok.. So now I have fixed it..

It seemed to be a physical issue with the Microphone. I unscrewed the top of the microphone and then screwed it back down again. I noticed there were 2 bits of black rubber either side on the inside. May be one of those was previous blocking the sound, but immediately after doing that windows test could 'hear' sounds when the input level was 35. Then immediately I tried ARC and it works perfectly :) Phew... Thanks for the advice folks..
If THAT'S the answer, this certainly raises questions about how these new mics are tested prior to shipment.
--Bob

·
Registered
10 Posts
If THAT'S the answer, this certainly raises questions about how these new mics are tested prior to shipment.
--Bob
Indeed. Its been passed to the UK supplier along with the mic serial number in case they can investigate further with Anthem. I've told anthem support how I resolved it too...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Has anyone raised a support ticket with Anthem as to why ARC Genesis is boosting speaker levels so much? My rear speakers are about 4ft behind my main listening position and it’s boosting them +12db...

3361 - 3380 of 3513 Posts