AVS Forum banner

3421 - 3429 of 3429 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
ellisar - thanks for posting. ARC ON/OFF has been discussed previously. With ARC OFF, you do need to reduce the sub trim in the Anthem by amount of room gain - that's one reason why OFF probably sounded louder. Many of us have also noted ARC ON dulls the sound...some even feel it still does even with ARC OFF or correction limited to a lower value (eg, it still impacts sound above the correction limit). Personally, I don't use it for music (and even went to a dedicated 2 channel preamp). I'm in process of redoing my sub integration with REW/miniDSP. I may run ARC just to see what it sets trims / crossovers at, but will likely not upload it into my MRX720, even for HT, as I have no way to confirm that Remove ARC selection in Genesis actually removes the ARC values (I still see the file name in System Info, don't see N/A in the Input setup for ARC setting. Someone also posted that they see the same behavior and can only over-write, not remove, ARC coefficients).

·
Registered
172 Posts
In search of a solution to ARC Genesis level problem

I've been trying to find a solution to the ARC level problem for quite some time. I read that many of you are also struggling with this same problem. Let me recap the problem and explain what I have found so far.

First, I'm running all Anthem / Paradigm gear with the MRX-1120 receiver and five Paradigm Prestige speakers. I have tried every version of ARC since 9006 including the latest 1.3.25 and I have tried running ARC on both Mac and PC. The last version that I can get to set speaker levels correctly is 9006.

Now, to restate what the problem is. When running any ARC version later than 9006, ARC sets the levels for all of my speakers at +12. When running in Quick Measure mode, the software is measuring the speaker levels at about 62db. Since ARC is trying to get everything to 75db, it tries to adjust the speaker levels to get up to that level and 75-62 is greater than the max level adjustment of +12, thus everything gets set to +12.

I have reported this issue to Anthem several times and am always told that this is normal and that my system is working correctly. I disagree.

Yesterday, I tested 1.3.25 for the first time hoping that this latest version might have solved the problem. It did not.

So, here is what I did to try to understand what was going on. I opened the Audio MIDI Setup program on my Mac and watched it while ARC was running. The ARC microphone shows up on the MIDI program as ARC-1 Anthem and shows channel volume value of 0.069 and db level of -0.0. Then I ran Quick Measure in ARC and got the same 62db as usual. While Quick Measure was running, I adjusted the MIDI volume for the Anthem microphone up to 7.5 and lo and behold, Quick Measure showed 75db. Unfortunately, as soon as the program stops and restarts on the next measurement, ARC resets the MIDI volume for the mic back down to the 0.069 level and 0db.

I looked through every readable config file for ARC Genesis on my Mac and could not find anything that might be causing this reset. My guess is that it is being reset by the ARC code or possibly by the config file for the microphone (which is not readable).

I have tried to adjust the volume on the MRX to ensure it is putting out 75db before staring the calibration session, but this has no effect. It always comes back down to 62db.

Fortunately, I still have a copy of 9006 which works correctly. With this version ARC is reading the Dolby / Calibration offset value in the MRX-1120 and when this value is set to -12, the speaker levels read out correctly at 74db.

I provided all of this information to Anthem yesterday and asked them to look at this again. I would encourage anyone that is experiencing this level bug (yes, I am convinced this is a bug) to report it to Anthem. They have chosen to ignore my previous requests to fix this issue. Maybe if enough people report it, they will work on it.

If anyone has ideas on what else to try or ways to fix this problem, please post them.

I am interested in upgrading to one of the new Anthem receivers or processors, but am reluctant to do so without knowing that this problem has been addressed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
ellisar - thanks for posting. ARC ON/OFF has been discussed previously. With ARC OFF, you do need to reduce the sub trim in the Anthem by amount of room gain - that's one reason why OFF probably sounded louder. Many of us have also noted ARC ON dulls the sound...some even feel it still does even with ARC OFF or correction limited to a lower value (eg, it still impacts sound above the correction limit). Personally, I don't use it for music (and even went to a dedicated 2 channel preamp). I'm in process of redoing my sub integration with REW/miniDSP. I may run ARC just to see what it sets trims / crossovers at, but will likely not upload it into my MRX720, even for HT, as I have no way to confirm that Remove ARC selection in Genesis actually removes the ARC values (I still see the file name in System Info, don't see N/A in the Input setup for ARC setting. Someone also posted that they see the same behavior and can only over-write, not remove, ARC coefficients).
thanks for the info. I've also considered REW/miniDSP as a potentially more accurate solution to room issues. I also like the idea of using a better quality microphone. But ARC is so easy to run, lol! Not sure my brain is ready for REW. I also have to say, your polite and informative response is such a pleasant thing. I was active in ASR for a couple years but the frequent animosity and vitriol, for no good reason, made me not want to participate at all. I find AVS a much more pleasant place to be and exchange ideas and experiences. Thanks to folks like you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just was wondering if most of you guys set a 500hz cut-off after running arc on all speaker, and what your impressions are weather it is a good idea or not. Did it improve your overall sound quality.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Many of us have also noted ARC ON dulls the sound...some even feel it still does even with ARC OFF or correction limited to a lower value (eg, it still impacts sound above the correction limit).
I'm far from an expert on this but have spent a lot of time measuring my post-ARC results with REW. I'm pretty sure based on those graphs I understand why the sound seems dulled. In general it's easier to cut levels than to boost, so that's typically what room correction aims to do. Let's assume you limit the correction range to 500Hz, and at 500Hz the EQ needs to drop the level by a few db...ARC drops the entire range from 501Hz to 20KHz down by the same db level, presumably so the cutoff between the corrected and the uncorrected range does not itself have a noticeable change in volume. So while ARC isn't CORRECTING anything past 500Hz, it has changed the level of the signal across the entire range.

If I had more patience, I'd like to measure with REW and then try to choose an ARC cutoff point where there shouldn't need to be any correction. At this point though I'm just enjoying my system rather than spending my free time measuring it.

·
Registered
993 Posts
thanks, Endaar. I recall seeing that tidbit of information posted previously. Like you, I'm (almost) at the point of just enjoying my system. Added a new 2 ch preamp and need to get everything dialed back in. Anthem for movies, Rogue RP5 for music.

·
Registered
993 Posts
thanks for the info. I've also considered REW/miniDSP as a potentially more accurate solution to room issues. I also like the idea of using a better quality microphone. But ARC is so easy to run, lol! Not sure my brain is ready for REW. I also have to say, your polite and informative response is such a pleasant thing. I was active in ASR for a couple years but the frequent animosity and vitriol, for no good reason, made me not want to participate at all. I find AVS a much more pleasant place to be and exchange ideas and experiences. Thanks to folks like you.
My pleasure. Thanks for the positive comments. Welcome to AVS!
I've visited ASR on a few occasions -- no intention to frequent it as don't want to offend the "Gods" of Audiophilia.

Reactions: BRAC

·
Registered
993 Posts
3421 - 3429 of 3429 Posts