AVS Forum banner

661 - 680 of 2148 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Does ARC set speaker distances? I did factory reset and cant remember did i set them manually before. But after uploading the new settings. It has defaulted every distance to 12 feet. Is this normal cant remember?

I know old settings had differences and could type them manually again.

·
Registered
7,029 Posts
Anthem has this in their site. What do you guys think? Interesting.."WHENEVER POSSIBLE, do not place the 2nd through 5th positions further than three feet (90cm) away from the 1st position—a symmetrical pattern of spots around the first location is more important than putting the microphone at each listening position throughout the room."
That has worked out really well for me. Every time I run Genesis I follow that one and all the other Anthem mic position recommendations and have had really good result. It's a lot of work but it has been worth it for me.

• ALWAYS point your microphone at the ceiling.
  • ALWAYS place the 1st position at your primary listening location. The 1st position is critical because it is used to set the level of the overall system.
  • ALWAYS place the mic height near ear level (if you sit when you listen, use the relative height of your ears when seated). The microphone, the listener’s ears, and the speaker’s acoustic center (or tweeter if in doubt) should be at approximately the same height. If the result sounds dull or bright, a new feature of ARC Genesis is the ability to boost and cut deep bass and high frequencies in the “Adjust ARC Settings> Adjust Targets” menu.
  • WHENEVER POSSIBLE, make sure the primary listening position is a minimum of two to three feet (60 to 90 cm) from walls and other large hard surfaces. Please note:
    • We understand that the location of the primary listening position is often not flexible.
    • For best results when listening, a listener’s ears should be away from any walls a minimum distance of two to three feet (60 to 90cm).
    • If the 1st mic position falls within two to three feet (60 to 90cm) form a wall, high-backed furniture, or similar obstructions, it’s important to measure from a position as close to the listener's head as possible. So place the first mic position just in front of where the listener’s head would be. In this case, always place the 2nd through 5th positions the recommended distance from each other, even if this results in them being less than two to three feet (60 to 90cm) away from a wall. The resulting pattern may look less like an X and more like a V or M, and that’s okay.
  • WHENEVER POSSIBLE, place the 2nd through 5th positions two feet (60cm) from the 1st position. Up to three feet (90cm) is acceptable, but not usually necessary.
  • WHENEVER POSSIBLE, place the 2nd through 5th positions symmetrically around the 1st position. Use an X pattern, with the 1st position in the center of the X, and each corner two feet (60cm) from the center.
  • WHENEVER POSSIBLE, vary the mic height for the 2nd through 5th positions, with two measurements being 6 to 12-inches below the 1st position and the other two measurements 6 to 12-inches above the height of the 1st position. This method provides ARC with a more three-dimensional view of the room and its acoustic signature.

·
Registered
7,029 Posts
Does ARC set speaker distances? I did factory reset and cant remember did i set them manually before. But after uploading the new settings. It has defaulted every distance to 12 feet. Is this normal cant remember?

I know old settings had differences and could type them manually again.
No you have to set them manually by measuring each speaker's distance.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I tried this before but didn't really like what I heard.

WHENEVER POSSIBLE, vary the mic height for the 2nd through 5th positions, with two measurements being 6 to 12-inches below the 1st position and the other two measurements 6 to 12-inches above the height of the 1st position. This method provides ARC with a more three-dimensional view of the room and its acoustic signature.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I run a 7.2.4 system with:

Monitor Audio silver speakers for the 7 main speakers:
Silver s10 front towers
Silver LCR center
Silver s1 for all four surrounds

Russound Atmos speakers:
RSA-635 wide dispersion

Hsu Research Subs:
Dual VTF-15H MK2 subs.

I use external amps for all my channels except the back surrounds(MRX 720 handles back surrounds). All my other channels are run on a Rotel RMB-1095(200x5), and two Rotel RB-1050 (80x2) amps for the four Atmos speakers.

I have REW setup to use the UMIK-1 over HDMI to my laptop. I use the UMIK-1 90 degree .cal file with my UMIK-1 pointed straight up like the Anthem MIC. In the REW preferences I go to the mic/meter tab I have it using the UMIK-1 calibration file by selecting “mic or z weighted SPL meter” and browsing for the UMIK-1 calibration file. Then I select the SPL Meter and set it up as “C” weighted (from the A, C, Z push buttons) by selecting “C” and then “Slow” (from the F,S push buttons) by selecting “F”.

In REW, if using the UMIK-1 you don’t need to click “calibrate” because the UMIK-1 .cal file handles that. If you do click calibrate you’ll get a message saying you’re all set because you already selected a .cal file.

I then run the MRX 720 test tones from the level calibration screen with the UMIK-1 in the same place my Anthem mic was placed at when I ran Genesis.

BTW if you don’t get that message when you click calibrate in the REW SPL meter your UMIK-1 is not connected. With my UMIK-1 I have to push the cable in hard to get it to connect. I then “right” click on the speaker icon in the lower right corner of Windows and select “Recording Devices” to make sure it shows the UMIK-1. If you don’t see the UMIK-1 in recording devices it’s not connected and when you click on calibrate REW SPL meter will try to let you calibrate like you don’t have a .cal file
Ah - the fact you run external amps I imagine changes things quite a bit with regards to hitting targets, but why the 90 degree file? Maybe I am supposed to be using that and haven't been?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,029 Posts
Ah - the fact you run external amps I imagine changes things quite a bit with regards to hitting targets, but why the 90 degree file? Maybe I am supposed to be using that and haven't been?

I use the 90 degree .cal during the REW SPL measurement because I want the UMIK-1 pointed straight up just like the Anthem mic was when it took it’s measurements for Genesis to eliminate any differences that could be caused by pointing the UMIK-1 straight ahead while the Anthem mic was pointed straight up.. If you point the UMIK-1 at the ceiling you have to use the 90 degree file. The regular .cal file is for pointing the UMIK-1 straight ahead pointed at your speakers. You can download the 90 degree file here https://www.minidsp.com/products/acoustic-measurement/umik-1.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I use the 90 degree .cal during the REW SPL measurement because I want the UMIK-1 pointed straight up just like the Anthem mic was when it took it’s measurements for Genesis to eliminate any differences that could be caused by pointing the UMIK-1 straight ahead while the Anthem mic was pointed straight up.. If you point the UMIK-1 at the ceiling you have to use the 90 degree file. The regular .cal file is for pointing the UMIK-1 straight ahead pointed at your speakers. You can download the 90 degree file here https://www.minidsp.com/products/acoustic-measurement/umik-1.
Thanks! I haven't been using the 90 degree although I do have it. That might fix the discrepancy!

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Anthem has this in their site. What do you guys think? Interesting.."WHENEVER POSSIBLE, do not place the 2nd through 5th positions further than three feet (90cm) away from the 1st position—a symmetrical pattern of spots around the first location is more important than putting the microphone at each listening position throughout the room."
I corresponded with Anthem on this and that advice is essentially for a single listening position. If you want to optimize for more than one listening position, then obviously the no more than 3 ft rule does not count. I tried to use a symmetrical pattern around both my and my wife's chair for one profile and a symmetrical pattern around those chairs plus the sofa behind for another profile for when we have guests. That worked for me.

Reactions: panasonicst60

·
Registered
7,029 Posts
~15 dB. I will check again tonight with the right file.

Wow that's a big difference. I 'd be surprised if the 90 degree file and mic position will make up for a 15dB difference. I wonder if you have a faulty Anthem mic or a problem with the Anthem .cal file.

Also when on the REW SPL meter if you click calibrate does it tell you the mic is already calibrated because you have a .cal file? Just wondering if yours is like mine and even through he UMIK-1 light is on it's not truly connected and using the .cal file unless I push the cable in harder.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Wow tat's a big difference. I 'd be surprised if the 90 degree file and mic position will make up for a 15dB difference. I wonder if you have a faulty Anthem mic or a problem with the Anthem .cal file.

Also when on the REW SPL meter if you click calibrate does it tell you the mic is already calibrated because you have a .cal file? Just wondering if yours is like mine and even through he UMIK-1 light is on it's not truly connected and using the .cal file unless I push the cable in harder.
This is my second MRX1120, the first had a bad DSP and support advised me to replace, but the readings were the same so I thought I had ruled out a bad mic or cal file.

My REW does give same error when I try to click calibrate.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Has anyone confirmed the "tilt" bug is fixed in the latest release? I am afraid to download and remove the earlier version that does not have this bug. Can anyone confirm for me?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,029 Posts
This is my second MRX1120, the first had a bad DSP and support advised me to replace, but the readings were the same so I thought I had ruled out a bad mic or cal file.

My REW does give same error when I try to click calibrate.

Ah OK so it's not likely that the Anthem mic is the problem. Also since you're getting the message from REW the UMIK-1 is connected and using the cal file so it's not like REW is reporting a false reading either.

·
Registered
7,029 Posts
Has anyone confirmed the "tilt" bug is fixed in the latest release? I am afraid to download and remove the earlier version that does not have this bug. Can anyone confirm for me?

Thanks!
A few post back it was confirmed that the bug still exist. Since the beta was 9105 and the official release is 9105 they just made the the beta the official release without fixing the bug.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi all -

Apologies if this question has already been answered, or would be obvious once I install ARC Genesis on my PC ...

Is ARC Genesis designed to replace both PBK and ARC 2? I have two Monitor SUB 10's which I have calibrated with PBK. Is there a routine in ARC Genesis for calibrating the subs individually before running a systemwide analysis? I also ask since the Monitor SUB line isn't listed under the compatible hardware list ...

One other note: I plan to only use ARC Genesis for mid-bass and lower adjustments ... it seems odd why one would want to touch the tonal characteristics of any audiophile-level speaker that aren't affected by room acoustics ...

Many thanks in advance -

Ian Campbell

fronts: Paradigm 7 v7
surround: Paradigm Surround 3 (S-PAL version)
subs: 2x Paradigm Monitor SUB 10 (opposite corners)
receiver: Anthem MRX 720

·
Registered
7,029 Posts
Hi all -

Apologies if this question has already been answered, or would be obvious once I install ARC Genesis on my PC ...

Is ARC Genesis designed to replace both PBK and ARC 2? I have two Monitor SUB 10's which I have calibrated with PBK. Is there a routine in ARC Genesis for calibrating the subs individually before running a systemwide analysis? I also ask since the Monitor SUB line isn't listed under the compatible hardware list ...

One other note: I plan to only use ARC Genesis for mid-bass and lower adjustments ... it seems odd why one would want to touch the tonal characteristics of any audiophile-level speaker that aren't affected by room acoustics ...

Many thanks in advance -

Ian Campbell

fronts: Paradigm 7 v7
surround: Paradigm Surround 3 (S-PAL version)
subs: 2x Paradigm Monitor SUB 10 (opposite corners)
receiver: Anthem MRX 720
Hi no apology necessary it’s a big thread. Genesis is installed into a separate directory so it won't replace ARC2 or anything else on your PC.

As for ARC touching the tonal characteristic of a speaker. The room acoustics effects frequencies and all speakers not just subs. If you completely eliminate the room by placing a speaker outside in a field, that speaker will both measure and sound completely different than it does in a room. The sound you hear from a speaker isn't just the speaker it's also the sound reflected off the walls, floor, ceiling, furniture etc... Unless you place a speaker outside in a wide open field the sound you get in your room, is the room your hearing. Highs not just low or mid frequencies bounce off everything in your room and cause null, peaks etc… at high frequencies as well as low. Sure highs bounce less than lows but they are still effected by room. The goal of ARC/Genesis is to try and correct the bad things the room has introduced so you actually do hear your speakers and not the room

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Legairre -

Thanks for your paragraph on ARC and room effects, but ...

... Genesis is installed into a separate directory so it won't replace ARC2 or anything else on your PC ...
... I still need to know if I can use ARC Genesis to calibrate my SUB 10's individually before calibrating the unified system of mains and subs. If ARC Genesis doesn't do this, or if my SUB 10's are indeed not compatible for sub-only calibrations, then the answer is to use PBK on the subs first ...

Thanks -

Ian

·
Registered
7,029 Posts
Hi Legairre -

Thanks for your paragraph on ARC and room effects, but ...

... I still need to know if I can use ARC Genesis to calibrate my SUB 10's individually before calibrating the unified system of mains and subs. If ARC Genesis doesn't do this, or if my SUB 10's are indeed not compatible for sub-only calibrations, then the answer is to use PBK on the subs first ...

Thanks -

Ian
When using Genesis or the older ARC1 and ARC2 you must at least have front speakers. ARC/Genesis is a system calibration not sub only. BTW you can also install Genesis and run it in demo mode to see how it works. Select ARC >> Preferences >> Demo Mode from the toolbar.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi all,

I just did a calibration with ARC genesis this weekend.

Before doing it, i checked ail speaker channel including the subwoofer and they were all at 75db
( all channel level =0)

Then i run ARC and consult the results.

Each level channel as a least a +5 increase and the subwoofer +12 :eek:

So i checked with a spl meter and each channel were at least at 80db but the subwoofer was 88db.

Is this normal ? Did i forget to do something before running ARC ?

I thought after ARC all the channel must be at 75db.

I have to keep my master volume not higher than -35db or else it’s too loud.

Thank in advance im a newbie ;)

Ben

661 - 680 of 2148 Posts