AVS Forum banner

1241 - 1260 of 2148 Posts

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Yep, I have a problem connecting my laptop to my MRX-720 all the time and it’s extremely aggravating. I’ve never had a problem connecting to any other AVR on the first try. Definitely something Anthem needs to work on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It may be an Anthem problem. Or maybe not. It could be some component or combination of components and how they implement the spec. I have never owned a laptop that didn't have some kind of weird issues typically due to corners cut to meet a price point. And that's before trying to connect to anything else.

It's pretty suspicious that two laptops of the same manufacturer and model have quite similar issues yet most people using other PCs aren't having this issue.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Excellent! That's good news. thanks,
The 9006 version is the best. Most stable, best balance, and best dynamics.

At least that's my opinion and that of many others here.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The 9006 version is the best. Most stable, best balance, and best dynamics.

At least that's my opinion and that of many others here.
Have you tried 1.2.2 beta? I'm surprised to hear the feedback that it's much better than previous. I'm very happy with how my room sounds now - maybe other than some treatments - but curiosity takes over...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,818 Posts
On my laptop that I use for these things the thing getting in the way of the software working is always the firewall. Every time I have to turn it off.

I've not myself encountered a firewall issue with Windows or OS X on a few different machines. That'd odd to me! :confused:

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
It may be an Anthem problem. Or maybe not. It could be some component or combination of components and how they implement the spec. I have never owned a laptop that didn't have some kind of weird issues typically due to corners cut to meet a price point. And that's before trying to connect to anything else.

It's pretty suspicious that two laptops of the same manufacturer and model have quite similar issues yet most people using other PCs aren't having this issue.

I’ve had problems with the 720 and Play-Fi connecting to my network. I’ve been using a MacBook and iPad. I gave up using my dell laptop.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Looking for feedback from my ARC Genesis graphs. Any comments suggestions greatly appreciated.
I run 3 Klipsch RF7 III's as my front stage behind an acoustically transparent screen.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I’ve had problems with the 720 and Play-Fi connecting to my network. I’ve been using a MacBook and iPad. I gave up using my dell laptop.

My wife had a Dell that got flaky and it was renamed "The Doorstop".

IIRC ARC checks what gear you have on the network, and after that, it's about ARC software running on the PC. So... It doesn't seem like it would be an AVM or MRX issue to me.

Can't tell you how many flaky USB ports I've had over the years, so bad at times it fails to recognize my mouse or keyboard. Could be a bad USB port, a bad USB driver, port speed / config issues, other PC configuration issue (BIOS or Windows), a bad cable, a cable that's too long... or even a flaky mic in the Anthem kit (there have been a few incidents reported on these threads where that came up).

I use a desktop (HTPC really) instead of a laptop when running ARC Genesis. No problems so far. But I built that PC and know exactly what's in it. Notebooks have proven to be unreliable in my house.

Reactions: mbroadus

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Have you tried 1.2.2 beta? I'm surprised to hear the feedback that it's much better than previous. I'm very happy with how my room sounds now - maybe other than some treatments - but curiosity takes over...

A lot of folks were getting maxed out levels from 1220. Others thought the center channel became too muddled. I just thought the overheads and surrounds were too hot.

9006 has the best dynamics and balance, and most of us went back to it. The 9006 link is in this thread if you need it.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
My wife had a Dell that got flaky and it was renamed "The Doorstop".

IIRC ARC checks what gear you have on the network, and after that, it's about ARC software running on the PC. So... It doesn't seem like it would be an AVM or MRX issue to me.

Can't tell you how many flaky USB ports I've had over the years, so bad at times it fails to recognize my mouse or keyboard. Could be a bad USB port, a bad USB driver, port speed / config issues, other PC configuration issue (BIOS or Windows), a bad cable, a cable that's too long... or even a flaky mic in the Anthem kit (there have been a few incidents reported on these threads where that came up).

I use a desktop (HTPC really) instead of a laptop when running ARC Genesis. No problems so far. But I built that PC and know exactly what's in it. Notebooks have proven to be unreliable in my house.

I upgraded my Xfinity cable modem last week so hopefully that helps. So many devices on networks these days.

·
Premium Member
6,818 Posts
I upgraded my Xfinity cable modem last week so hopefully that helps. So many devices on networks these days.

FWIW, I do have an Xfinity cable modem, not sure the model, but it's probably 2 years old now? Currently using a Macbook Pro, and I've got rock-solid connections to the AVM, and PlayFi for quite some time now has been solid too. (Looks like you've had issues with that too?) Maybe I should knock on some wood....:eek:

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
A lot of folks were getting maxed out levels from 1220. Others thought the center channel became too muddled. I just thought the overheads and surrounds were too hot.

9006 has the best dynamics and balance, and most of us went back to it. The 9006 link is in this thread if you need it.

I will have to get 9006 because 1220 is horrible in all respects for my room.

Edit: Is there a download link for 9006 - i cant seem to find it on the forum and the search functionality is not very helpful.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
206 Posts

Good feedback. I'm still on 9006 and will squirrel the installer away for posterity because it definitely has given me the best results so far.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Good feedback. I'm still on 9006 and will squirrel the installer away for posterity because it definitely has given me the best results so far.

Any chance you could post it in Dropbox and send a link to a poor fella in need :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Reactions: wyld0

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
FWIW, I do have an Xfinity cable modem, not sure the model, but it's probably 2 years old now? Currently using a Macbook Pro, and I've got rock-solid connections to the AVM, and PlayFi for quite some time now has been solid too. (Looks like you've had issues with that too?) Maybe I should knock on some wood....:eek:
Yes, I switched from the Arris X1 modem from 3 years ago to the new X1 square tower modem. Yes, I've had problems with play-fi and the 720 connecting. Play-Fi seems to forget the WiFi network for some reason. And sometimes ARC Genesis has a difficult time finding the 720 but seems fine since I switched modems. About to upgrade (add 1TB SSD and 16GB RAM) to the MacBook Pro so hopefully it will perform better.

Reactions: Jonas2

·
Registered
7,029 Posts

9006 was the best so far until I loaded 1220. To me and in my room I was very surprised 1220 was even better than 9006.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
9006 was the best so far until I loaded 1220. To me and in my room I was very surprised 1220 was even better than 9006.
I really need to give 1220 a try...maybe this weekend after my wife installs blackout drapes in our TV room. Any chance that Anthem will release 1220 as an actual update?

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
It was good in my room, too, except I felt it made the atmos ceiling speakers too hot, as well as the sides. It also chose odd frequency for my subwoofers.

With 9006, my speakers disappear. With 1220, I know exactly where some of them are.

I may tinker with it a bit more when time allows. I'm just ready for the next Anthems to come out.

·
Registered
7,029 Posts
It was good in my room, too, except I felt it made the atmos ceiling speakers too hot, as well as the sides. It also chose odd frequency for my subwoofers.

With 9006, my speakers disappear. With 1220, I know exactly where some of them are.

I may tinker with it a bit more when time allows. I'm just ready for the next Anthems to come out.
I ran 1220 the first time and every speaker just disappeared like you said 9006 did for you. It was great sound just seemed to be ll round you like the room was just once big speaker with you in the middle. You couldn't tell there were actually 11 speakers and two subs.

It was so good I figured what if I ran it again and it was even better? Ran it a second time and boom it was terrible. Bass was bad, and seemed like the center was bass heavy. I always keep my Genesis files so I just uploaded the perfect one again and was happy.

Even though I though i used the same mic position for both run I must have been of just a bit the second time.

Like you my Atmos and surrounds are a bit hotter with 1220 vs 9006 but in my room it's a good thing for that seamless speakers disappear sound.

1241 - 1260 of 2148 Posts