AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get a little hum in my subwoofer that seems to be caused by the cable TV. When I unplug the cable, the noise goes away. I added a ground from the TV cable to my surge suppressor and that helped a lot. I'll be getting an electrician to do a few small projects at my house. Would there be any benefit to running a dedicated circuit with a few outlets to (1) lighten the load in general and (2) reduce any noise since all the lights and other things would be on another circuit? He's licenced and bonded, but haven't asked about his audio back ground yet. Is there anything else I should do while I have his here? I'm sure it would be cheaper to do everything at once.

Panamax M5300EX running:

Onyko Pro PR-SC885

Panasonic 42" Plasma TV

Carver TFM-25 (225W x2) - for rear surrounds (Def Tech BP-2X)

One front speaker (Def Tech BP 7004)

Sony PS3

Sony CD player

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8240HDC Cable TV box

Panamax Max1000? running:

Adcom GFA 5503 (200W x3) for center and front speakers

One front speaker (Def Tech BP 7004)

Center speaker (Def Tech CLR2300)

Sunfire True Subwoofer MKII

I split the amps between the surge protectors because I knocked out the cable TV box somehow when both were on the Panamax 5300EX. Too much current surge when both amps came on at once? The sub and left front speaker's cords won't reach, so I used the older MAX1000.

·
Registered
27,416 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot. I'll have to check that out. I read some other posts and most said similar gadgets lowered the signal too much for HDTV, but I don't think this particular product was cited. For $40 it's well worth the risk.

(Edit) The price is fine, but my cheapest shipping option from CA to NC is $11.15 for 0.1#??? It's so small it will probably ship in a bubble envelope. Sounds like an Ebay ploy to make the price sound reasonable, then make a tidy profit on "shipping".

·
Registered
27,416 Posts
Look around. There are many manufacturers. A simple ground decoupler.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I would make sure that when the cable was installed that a ground block was installed and grounded to the same ground point as the main panel.

To prevent gound loops all your outlets that have AV equipment plugged in should have good ground to the same point. Cable TV coax usually is not, a lot of installers willjust use a nearby water pipe...

This solved my issues before I switched to satellite.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts