AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting some advice on what projector to get given my situation. We are at the point of painting it everything black and have come to the conclusion that some of the gear will need to be changed. I currently have a BenQ W6000 that served my need in another setting that was not a dedicated room but with the room being around 167" D X 113" W and the projector being located at around 127" from the screen I think the BenQ will be too bright. We are sitting at around 102". I have not purchased a screen yet.

I'd like to keep the fL to around 20.

Upon reading some of the threads here are some options I've come up with

BenQ W1080ST
BenQ W1070
Sony VPL-HW40ES
JVC DLA-X35

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
What type of viewing will you be doing?

The JVC is the best. Period. It's got the deepest blacks, excellent color, the 3D is decent (not nearly as bad as some may think). It's not terribly bright, but works well under 120". It's also not the best for gaming with rather high input lag.

But, for watching movies? It's the best. Just a great unit.

Then the Sony, then the W1070, then the 1080.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
JVC is not as bright as the others. JVC really isn't known for 'bright' projectors, and in low lamp mode, after calibration, light output is typically far lower. You can ALWAYS add a ND filter to reduce light further if necessary. But, the black levels on the JVCs are head and shoulders above the rest.

The Sony is the newest one right now. Very quiet, very good black levels.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess the only issue I'm having is to understand what image brightness is appropriate for the room. Using the PC calculator at 10.5 throw with 1.25 zoom I get the following

Sony VPL-HW40ES
screen size 86"
fL 33

BenQ W1070
screen size 111"
fL 25

JVC DLA-X35B
screen size 77"
fL 29

How significant is the lag on the JVC for gaming?

·
Registered
4,748 Posts
Don't get hung up on a projector being too bright, it can always be controlled by calibration and/or an ND filter. I personal would keep the 6000 or step up to the Sony or JVC. JVC's gaming lag is high.

Reactions: Lokoseena

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You might have just saved me a few thousand dollars. I'll try it out and see then use the ND filter then replace if need be. I can currently get the JVC for 1500$ cdn with just a few hours on the lamp. Very tempting. There is also a Sony VPL-VW90ES for sale that I could snatch for around $3000 cdn.

·
Registered
282 Posts
What size screen are you hoping for. You mention 77" for the JVC, that seems a little small, with where you are mounting the JVC you should be able to get a 102" image fully zoomed, is that big enough for you?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was trying to keep the zoom in the middle for "better" picture acuity. Could be wrong though. I was aiming at 96-100"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts