AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am proceeding with my dedicated home theater build (single car) 22x12x9

My problem is air conditioning (I have no need for heating as I live in the inland empire, southern california.. gets pretty warm out here)

I was thinking about using a wall mounted air conditioning unit as I don't think I can tap into the central air system of the house.

Problem there is the noise that would result if I put a wall unit.

I don't have a lot to play with in regards to budget ($500-$600) so I was wondering if someone could recommend a good AC unit that is fairly quiet.

I was thinking of something like this http://www.hitachi-hli.com/home_ac.html

but not sure which ones are good to get..

thanks!

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Most of the units you linked to on that page are mini split or 'duct-less' air conditioners. They have an outside unit like central air, but the inside unit does all of the air handling/fan work without ducts. It's basically like seperating a window unit and putting the loud condensing unit outside and leaving the much more quiet fan on the inside..That would probably be your best bet for your room, though it would be out of your $500-600 price range. They are much more quiet than window units.

Mitsubishi (mr. slim) and LG are also popular for mini-split systems.

You could probably get a mini-split + installation somewhere in the $1700-3000 range as a really rough estimate.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Window units will not do what you want....I had to go with a mini split in my garage and I absolutely love it......It ran me $2500 installed so its out of your price range. I went with the Mr. Slim and I cant recommend it enough....

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Why can't you tap into the main system? We did for our garage theater for heat and AC and it works great. It was less than your budget for an AC guy to do thee ducting.

Scott

1 - 4 of 4 Posts