AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've searched many forums and places, but can't seem to find any definitive answers. Well, at least not all in one place.

It seems everyone here is very knowledgeable, which I lack at this point. Just 20 years old, learning the basics. I need help on what lighting system to get, and how to hook everything up. If you could just answer any part of my question you're familiar with, it would be greatly appreciated.

My room will have about 4 or 5 zones.

-Rope light is soffit

-Front lights on screen

-Main Lights

-Bar lights

-Closet/Movie area light

I notice some systems only go up to 4 zones, so I can make the closet light its own switch, no problem.

Once I find out the system I want to use, I need to know how to run everything. Should I run individual electrical cords to each one, or do certain zones with multiple lights need to be connected? How do I connect them all? Pretty much, I know absolutely nothing.

I'm on a budget, and have no knoweldge on this part. I can't hire out, cause I'm on a budget. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Edit: What it basically comes down to. I'm getting ready to drywall the rest of the walls, and the ceiling, and I need to run the electrical ASAP so I can get this show on the road. I can't even find anything online on what to do.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
I hope you are having your work inspected, especially if this is the first time that you are doing a significant construction project. Electrical work isn't hard to do, but there is definately a right way to it and a wrong-it-may-burn-down-your-house-or-kill-you way to do it.

Go to your local bookstore and get a basic book on the subject.

As for lighting control, one option is Insteon. Runs around $70 per switch. Graphic Eye is a bit more expensive and in my opinion more complicated to install. It is not a beginner install project.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Grafikeye units can go up to 6 zones... more with addon control modules.

Not cheap... but I am very happy with mine.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I bit the bullet and went with a grafik eye from lutron. I snagged a 6 zone one off ebay. The 3106 if i remember right. It is a little more expensive than other options, but i disagree about it being any harder to hookup.

HERE is a thread all about Grafik Eyes.

They aren't cheap as have been stated...but if you watch ebay...you can get a good deal. I picked up mine for right around 400 dollars...sounds like alot right? If i would have just bought 6 "designer" dimmers, with no presets and no remote control options i would have spent $120, now move up to dimmers that have a digital preset, still minus any remote control option, now i was looking at closer to $200. Then you start looking at Insteon stuff that gives you programmability and remote control for 6 zones i was darn near 400 bucks. So it was a no brainer for me. The flexibility and ease of use (not to mention they look cool) of the GE sold me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan /forum/post/19576427

I hope you are having your work inspected, especially if this is the first time that you are doing a significant construction project. Electrical work isn't hard to do, but there is definately a right way to it and a wrong-it-may-burn-down-your-house-or-kill-you way to do it.

Go to your local bookstore and get a basic book on the subject.

As for lighting control, one option is Insteon. Runs around $70 per switch. Graphic Eye is a bit more expensive and in my opinion more complicated to install. It is not a beginner install project.

Ya, that's what I'm being told. I can have someone that knows electrical give it an inspection before I close everything up. I'll search around and find out what not to do, and how to avoid burning down my house.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, well after wasting an entire day, and skipping 3 classes, I think I have a brief idea of the electrical/lighting.

I think I'll go with either a spacer system with 3 dimmers and a master control, or a grafik eye.... whichever I determine is cheaper at the time of buying.

Seems pretty basic to set up Lutron gear. I'm going to place all my lights in correct spot, draw out what lights I want to be connected in a series, and then hire an electrician. Problem I have is, I want my soffit lights to all be controlled the same. Well, the lights in my soffits will be the main/only lights for my HT. I only planned on having like 8.... I'm not sure if that will be enought to brighten up a room. Also not sure if 1 dimmer switch will be able to handle that much wattage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts