AVS Forum banner

481 - 500 of 529 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
The latest versions of PGenerator are basically “pre-configured”. The settings template is useful if you want to modify connection methods (e.g. enter Wi-Fi password). It can be useful to have the settings template for other things, so I advise that you do copy it to your local storage.

However, as stated on the previous page, we have no control over who uploads what to the Cloud Storage so it is likely that if random users are uploading things there, the settings template referenced in the first post may now be on the second, or even third/forth page. Just browse through until you find the template that matches the name of the one I posted in the set up instructions.

Ted’s Disk, PGen Edition template is independent of the settings template. You need to copy that one too and unlock it with the password he provided you with in the download link.

Have got it all configured and loaded with connected settings and the PGen files and unlocked and patterns visible in Device Control... just now waiting to see any the new version of ZRO is crashing after opening the Profiling window before I can put some patterns on a screen !

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
this is the sd card support where the iso image is stored
The SD card reader is used to flash the ISO of the PGenerator to the SD card.

Raspberry Pi-based boards use a microSD port for loading an operating system or storing data.

After powering-on a Rasberry Pi, PGenerator OS will automatically boot after some seconds.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #483

Have got it all configured and loaded with connected settings and the PGen files and unlocked and patterns visible in Device Control... just now waiting to see any the new version of ZRO is crashing after opening the Profiling window before I can put some patterns on a screen !
Okay great. The patterns from Ted's Disk, PGen Edition are controlled directly from the template within the Device Control browser window.

For dynamic pattern generation (calibration patches) from software, you do not need to connect to Device Control, just connect to PGenerator directly from the software. Unfortunately I have no idea why ColourSpace ZRO may be crashing. I use a higher (paid) license level of that software which is runs a different build and is perfectly stable for me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Jon,

Instructions about how to unlock Ted's Template available to the email of Ted's Template order.

Generally, users of Ted's Template can send a direct email to Ted asking for questions; it's a better way to get fast support.
That bit's all sorted Ted thanks :)

Reactions: ConnecTEDDD

·
Registered
9,736 Posts

Hi Jon,

When you click the profile icon, ColourSpace will create a new file to store the measurements you will take.

When the system has any problem or the firewall is not allowing ColourSpace to create that file, ColourSpace will crash as it's impossible to start measurements without being able to save these measurements temporarily.

Please see your firewall or permissions for ColourSpace.

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
Okay great. The patterns from Ted's Disk, PGen Edition are controlled directly from the template within the Device Control browser window.

View attachment 3076119
The Display Black Pattern is helping to inject a full-screen Black for the panel to cool down during HDR10 calibration or Service Menu adjustments.

At the same time, the user will open the TV OSD menu to adjust the RGB balance settings.

It's also useful when the user wants to pause a calibration not to keep any static pattern to the screen.

Display Black Pattern command can be used to stop any other static or flashing bar sequence.

·
Registered
32 Posts
now that everything is working I run ColorspaceZRO and I don't even know where to start, how to configure it? how to launch measurements? in short, I don't know how to use it .. A tutorial exists? I think I will buy calman for the auto calibration, because I neither understand anything ... you need a minimum of knowledge in calibration I think which is far from my case ..

I thought the tedd disk for pcgenerator was free but apparently not 30 dollars ..

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
There are ColourSpace guides on the Light Illusion website. You should start there. Because ZRO will not generate LUTs of any kind, do not spend any time trying to read about them.

For calibration basics, look for the "Calibration for Dummies" guide here or on Google. That is not a slap at you, by the way, but is the actual title of the guide. Although the details are written for a specific software package, the general "do this, then this, then this" of calibration is valid for any software and display.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #490
now that everything is working I run ColorspaceZRO and I don't even know where to start, how to configure it? how to launch measurements? in short, I don't know how to use it .. A tutorial exists? I think I will buy calman for the auto calibration, because I neither understand anything ... you need a minimum of knowledge in calibration I think which is far from my case ..

I thought the tedd disk for pcgenerator was free but apparently not 30 dollars ..
This thread is for setup and usage of PGenerator only. It is not a calibration guide thread. Your choice of software is entirely up to you, and when that choice is made I suggest questions about that software are asked in the relevant threads.

Also, nowhere in this thread does it mention Ted’s Disk PGen Edition being free. It is clearly separated into separate posts for good reason. PGenerator, the test pattern generator, was created by an enthusiast and provided free of charge to all. I happen to know the developer of the software and took the time to create this thread and the instructions in the first few posts as a form of repayment for his generosity. Ted’s Disk, PGen Edition is a completely separate development!!!

There may be future developments on the horizon too, and they can also be added to PGenerator. These may include free additions, or additions that cost a moderate fee. One thing for certain is that PGenerator (the test pattern generator) will ALWAYS be free.

Reactions: mrtickleuk and musi

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
That is something only you can answer. The graphics in CalMAN may be easier for you to understand, but maybe not. If your Panasonic is one of those on their list for "auto" calibration, that's also something to consider. Portrait Display's website and their YouTube videos may have the information you'll need to make a decision.

·
Registered
9,736 Posts

Hi,

I have posted links for ColourSpaceZRO guides here.

Any software will require you to study to understand what you are doing and why.

Then after reading, testing, you improve your knowledge, and it will enhance your understanding/results also.

Also, it will require to use of patterns to evaluate various stuff before/after the calibration.

For example, banding or discoloration can't be measured using a meter; you need to display a pattern to see if something is wrong.

The same for clipping of your near black or near white or color clipping; all these require patterns.

PGenerator + external patterns were the method users were using to co complete a calibration.

Now, these patterns are available internally to PGen using Ted's ISO.

Auto Calibration is not like the Auto program of a washing machine.

I will require to do a lot of stuff also manually.

Also, users who perform AUTO calibration will not have the capability to calibrate any other non-AUTO calibration TV.

It's better to start learning manual calibration as you will know how to calibrate any TV/projector.

AUTO-Calibration is not providing you any knowledge.

When you learn to perform a manual calibration of regular TV controls, then it's impossible to have any close results of an AUTO-Calibration.

AUTO-Calibration makes sense when you have to do with LUT calibration where they are not available DDC controls and when the manual calibration is not possible.

AUTO-Calibration saves time only; if you want to calibrate 10 TVs a day, it's not a feature that can provide any better performance compared to manual calibration.

PGenerator is useful for speed-up the manual calibration process.

It will still require the users to check their sources connected to the PGenerator (calibrated) input to see if their players have correct settings/levels etc.

·
Registered
32 Posts
thank you I will look at this when I get back but I'm really not good at manual calibration, it's a shame because it's very interesting ...

·
Registered
7 Posts
What is blocking PGenerator from working on the Raspberry Pi 4? I have a RPi 4 and may be interested in contributing to get it working on the latest model.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #495
This question has been asked many times already, and the answer is still the same as it has always been.

PGenerator on Raspberry Pi 4 is not going to happen at any time in the foreseeable future.

There is nothing more to add on that subject at this time, but if (by some miracle) that changes I will update this thread with any news.

Don’t hold your breath though.

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
What is blocking PGenerator from working on the Raspberry Pi 4? I have a RPi 4 and may be interested in contributing to get it working on the latest model.
Hi,

PGenerator OS is not compatible with the Pi4 platform.

It will require re-written the code to make it work for Pi4, but it's unknown if it will be bit-perfect as Pi3 since the GPU is different.

That free time is not available for that development.

·
Registered
32 Posts
any question if i want the tedd disk for my raspberry i have to pay? I thought I saw a free version, right? and what is the difference with the downloadable version on the 1st page?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #498
any question if i want the tedd disk for my raspberry i have to pay? I thought I saw a free version, right? and what is the difference with the downloadable version on the 1st page?
I have answered this question from you already.

PGenerator, the ISO image file that you download from the first post, is a FREE test pattern generator software that can be used on a Raspberry Pi device. That’s it, nothing more. You install it and you have a bit perfect RGB Full automatic test pattern generator that is compatible with several software solutions to make calibration easier.

Ted’s LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk, PGen Edition is a completely separate development and has nothing to do with the free version of PGenerator.

They are compatible and they can interact with each other, but it is completely separate development and it is why it is separated into a completely different post. You must contact Ted directly for instructions on how to obtain it.

It really cannot be explained any more clearly than that.

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
It really cannot be explained any more clearly than that.
I'm astonished at the ability to ask the exact same question over and over in slightly different ways in this thread :(

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
On the flip side...

Thank you to all the contributors for this. I followed the first few posts and got PGen up and running within an hour, tested with a simulated meter in HCFR. I broke the rules and used an old RPi 1 model B that was sitting around. It seems to work fine, are there any known issues?

The only thing I’ve found so far is sometimes PGen stops displaying patterns from HCFR and I have to reboot, but I credit this to me testing it over wifi (it was more convenient).

481 - 500 of 529 Posts