AVS Forum banner

661 - 680 of 728 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #661
I guess this has come from reading off thread. It's mentioned on the Colourspace page - There's a multi tab mid way down with how to update. It requires PUTTY and logging into the pi - I'm ex IT sys admin so fairly command line interface aware so knew to look for it!
Ah okay, that totally makes sense, and that was (at one point) the suggested way to updated (I used to do it this way myself).

However, with the latest release of the PGenerator ISO which enabled the Direct Lan connection, the PUTTY update method wouldn’t work and a completely new ISO had to be flashed. Since then it has become the recommended method to update should the need arise. But as things stand, there is no need to update PGenerator at all. It works as intended and there is nothing further that needs tweaking or adding.

With regards to Ted’s Disk - PGen Edition, as stated, it is a separate development hence the requirement for a separate ISO to be flashed.

Should other future separate developments take place, they too would require a separate ISO to be flashed.

I hope that clears things up a little better.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
However, with the latest release of the PGenerator ISO which enabled the Direct Lan connection, the PUTTY update method wouldn’t work and a completely new ISO had to be flashed. Since then it has become the recommended method to update should the need arise. But as things stand, there is no need to update PGenerator at all. It works as intended and there is nothing further that needs tweaking or adding.
I’ve had no issues using the ssh method to update the latest PGenerator image (edit: I’m not saying I used this method to update to the latest). In fact, for those suffering disconnect issues in HCFR, the PGenerator workaround (until a new HCFR gets released) is available via this method published on the Light Illusion website.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #663
I’ve had no issues using the ssh method to update the latest PGenerator image (edit: I’m not saying I used this method to update to the latest). In fact, for those suffering disconnect issues in HCFR, the PGenerator workaround (until a new HCFR gets released) is available via this method published on the Light Illusion website.
The reason it was no longer recommended was because when updating that way it would not update the required files to enable Direct LAN connection.

If Direct LAN connection is working then it already is the latest version because with the exception of the HCFR temporary fix that has been implemented for some users, there is no need to update.

Reactions: tsanga

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hi!

Some Sony projectors only switch to HDR mode when it receives 10 bit signal.
How can I solve this with pi3 + hdfury?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #666
Try using your Linker's Scaling functions to signal 10 bit Deep Colour. (Scaler -> Advanced Setup)

If that doesn't work, you may need to use a different TPG for your Sony PJ because PGenerator is, and only ever will be, a device with 8 bit input/output.

Or, you could try asking in the Sony projector calibration thread to see how others have overcome this limitation in the past.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I'm trying to calibrate an older Vizio M651d-A2R (1080p) TV but I have a few questions...

1) What should I set the backlight level to? It defaults to 80 out of 100.
2) I don't see any TV options to set video level (16-235 or 0 - 255). Does that mean I should configure PGenerator only use RGB Limited instead of RGB Full?

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
I'm trying to calibrate an older Vizio M651d-A2R (1080p) TV but I have a few questions...

1) What should I set the backlight level to? It defaults to 80 out of 100.
2) I don't see any TV options to set video level (16-235 or 0 - 255). Does that mean I should configure PGenerator only use RGB Limited instead of RGB Full?
You set the backlight to whatever you need to achieve your target peak white level (i.e. 120 nits). After greyscale you might want to go back to the luminance settings and double check it.

PGenerator should always be set to what's stated in the instructions (RGB Full). The Limited setting/video level should be adjusted on the TV. My guess is the older TV's call it HDMI Level Low or High.

Reactions: Rolls-Royce

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Thanks for the reply!

OK - I think I understand about the backlight level.

However, I don't see any options in the TV for HDMI or Video Level. The link I posted is the user manual (if anybody has time to take a quick look), but I really can't find any options for setting the level which is why I'm not sure if I should change the PGenerator RGB level...

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Thanks for the reply!

However, I don't see any options in the TV for HDMI or Video Level. The link I posted is the user manual (if anybody has time to take a quick look), but I really can't find any options for setting the level which is why I'm not sure if I should change the PGenerator RGB level...
As PBZ06 said, do NOT change the PGenerator RGB level. It is only bit-accurate at RGB Full.
You should be asking your other questions in a Vizio-specific calibration thread, or one for the calibration software you are using. Please help keep this thread specific to setup and operation of the PGenerator only.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #671
Thanks for the reply!

As both @pbz06 and @Rolls-Royce have said, you should never set PGenerator to output to anything other than RGB Full.

If your TV doesn't have an option to manually select RGB Full/Limited, it could be that it only supports Limited Range video. In which case you should be fine.

To test this, just connect PGenerator to your TV and software of choice. Select PC Levels in your software (0-255) and display a 10% patch of 16.16.16 upon a black background of 0.0.0.

If you can see the 10% patch window, then your TV has auto selected PC Levels (RGB Full), in which case there must be a setting hidden away somewhere in the menus. If the entire screen still looks black, then your TV likely only supports Limited Range.

Reactions: javigliano

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Thanks so much for the help! I'll give that a try.

It's surprising how complicated this subject is (or how thick headed I am!).

I've purchased CalMAN 5 Home Enthusiast (back in 2016 during a promotion) and have an i1 Display Pro but I just can't seem to understand enough to calibrate properly.

Anyways, I've just setup a PGenerator and have purchased Ted's Lightspace CMS Calibration Disc for PGenerator so I'm pretty sure I have the resources now but just need to fully understand everything.

Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
To test this, just connect PGenerator to your TV and software of choice. Select PC Levels in your software (0-255) and display a 10% patch of 16.16.16 upon a black background of 0.0.0.
Can you provide any tips on how to generate the patch you described using CalMAN 5 or HCFR? I've found something in the Device Control cloud called "pgenerator" (by pgenerator) and selected these settings:

On my screen I see a gray rectangle on a black background but I'm not sure if that's generating (16, 16, 16) on (0, 0, 0) background (but the settings suggest it is?).

Also, CalMAN 5 is working perfectly with the PGenerator but HCFR gives the error:

** rPi has insufficient GPU memory for pattern display **

However, the PGenerator is set to 128MB (and I've tried 256MB but it didn't solve the issue).

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
In my experience, this only happens if you’re trying to display one of HCFR’s built-in test files, such as the ANSI checkerboard or test images. PGenerator works well with automatic pattern generation - you can set this up by clicking the “Generator” panel along the top.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #675
Can you provide any tips on how to generate the patch you described using CalMAN 5 or HCFR? I've found something in the Device Control cloud called "pgenerator" (by pgenerator) and selected these settings:
View attachment 3115415
On my screen I see a gray rectangle on a black background but I'm not sure if that's generating (16, 16, 16) on (0, 0, 0) background (but the settings suggest it is?).

Also, CalMAN 5 is working perfectly with the PGenerator but HCFR gives the error:

However, the PGenerator is set to 128MB (and I've tried 256MB but it didn't solve the issue).
In CalMAN just select Luminance Levels - PC (0-255) from the WorkFlow Basic Options tab. Select 10% Window Size fromm the Source tab. Skip through to a Greyscale Multipoint page in a workflow and just display any pattern above 0% but below 6.3% (5% will do, which is equivalent to 13.13.13). If you can see the 10% pattern, your TV is displaying Full Range, in which case you need to find the setting in your TV to adjust this.

In saying that, from your screenshot, it seems that Template is displaying a a Full Range 6.25% (6.3% rounded) pattern which is correct for RGB 16.16.16. If you can see the pattern window using that, then your TV is displaying Full Range, so you will indeed need to find the setting in your TV.

That's not something I can help with I'm afraid.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Hi,

We could take this over the HCFR thread but assuming you've got everything set up in PGenerator as Leon describes then in HCFR, it should be as easy as clicking on Measures/Generator/Configure and then setting Image Area to 10, APL to 0, Pattern Intensity to 100. Make sure under GDI options that 16-235 is checked which it should be by default. At that point then just do a grayscale run and the first image that comes up should be a black field. If you can see the 10% sized box clearly framed within black, then your display is switching to Full (0-255) when it gets the signal from PGenerator. As mentioned in the other thread you started, I did not see a users settings option in your tv's manual to change this. It doesn't mean that it doesn't exist but it could be in the service menu or just not documented in the manual. You may want to inquire in the dedicated thread for your display in LCD Flat Panels or any Vizio related display thread.

And since I'm here, I just want to say a thank you to Leon for writing such a clear, detailed and logical howto - somewhat of a rarity on the Internet really. 😁 I think it only took me about an hour to get everything up and working through HCFR.

cheers,

--tom

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #677
And since I'm here, I just want to say a thank you to Leon for writing such a clear, detailed and logical howto - somewhat of a rarity on the Internet really. 😁 I think it only took me about an hour to get everything up and working through HCFR.

cheers,

--tom
Hi Tom,

Many thanks for the kind words. I’m pleased you found the setup posts fairly easy to follow. That was my sole intention all along, to provide a one-stop-shop for a straightforward explanation of how to get PGenerator (and any associated software/devices) up and running.

All the best

Leon

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
In my experience, this only happens if you’re trying to display one of HCFR’s built-in test files, such as the ANSI checkerboard or test images. PGenerator works well with automatic pattern generation - you can set this up by clicking the “Generator” panel along the top.
Thanks! That's exactly what is happening. If you use any of the patterns from the menu (Advanced -> Targets\Images\Patterns) then it displays the error, but if you use the Measure buttons it displays the patterns fine.

In CalMAN just select Luminance Levels - PC (0-255) from the WorkFlow Basic Options tab. Select 10% Window Size fromm the Source tab. Skip through to a Greyscale Multipoint page in a workflow and just display any pattern above 0% but below 6.3% (5% will do, which is equivalent to 13.13.13). If you can see the 10% pattern, your TV is displaying Full Range, in which case you need to find the setting in your TV to adjust this.

In saying that, from your screenshot, it seems that Template is displaying a a Full Range 6.25% (6.3% rounded) pattern which is correct for RGB 16.16.16. If you can see the pattern window using that, then your TV is displaying Full Range, so you will indeed need to find the setting in your TV.

That's not something I can help with I'm afraid.
Bugger. CalMAN is displaying the same thing so it looks like my TV is displaying RGB FULL.

I also an HDfury Integral 2 (and Vertex 2) but neither can convert from FULL to LIMITED.

It looks like I'll need to find another pattern generator or method but thank you SO MUCH for the help!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I also an HDfury Integral 2 (and Vertex 2) but neither can convert from FULL to LIMITED.
You don't need to convert from Full to Limited, you just need to change the HDFury's output to claim that it's sending Limited rather than Full.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
You don't need to convert from Full to Limited, you just need to change the HDFury's output to claim that it's sending Limited rather than Full.
Right, sorry ... that's what I meant.

I might have figured out a solution. It looks like HDfury can override the AVI Infoframe which contains the Video Quantization Range (ie. full or limited).

AVI Infoframe with full-range RGB:
82:02:0d:8f:10:a8:08:20:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00

AVI Infoframe with limited-range RGB:
82:02:0d:97:10:a8:00:20:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00

The HDMI 1.3a specification says byte 7 (PB3) defines the range. (bits 3 and 2, ie. 0x08 is full range, 0x00 is limited range in my example)

I know this isn't directly related to PGenerator but hopefully this helps somebody in the future.

I still need to do some testing but just wanted to post this to see if I'm on the right track...

EDIT: This appears to be working! RGB values 0 - 16 are now pure black on the TV.

661 - 680 of 728 Posts