AVS Forum banner

681 - 700 of 728 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #681
As @thoth has said, you can spoof your TV into thinking it is an RGB Limited signal if you have a HD Fury device.

Try the AVI IF for 1080p 24Hz RGB 16-235

82:02:0d:43:00:08:04:20:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00

The AVI should match the output of PGenerator which is 1080/24 by default.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi everyone. Im setting up my own pgenerator device and was shopping around for an HD Fury device. I think I stumbled upon a steal for anyone looking to generate patterns for HDR10 and DV. Monoprice has the 4K Diva listed at 68% off list price at 164.99 dollars. I dont know if this is a price mistake, knockoff or what, so I ordered one.

i noticed this deal on 3-30-21 at about 2pm PST. I waited until my order was processed and shipped just in case it was a pricing mistake.
Just letting the enthusiasts know...

·
Registered
745 Posts
Hi everyone. Im setting up my own pgenerator device and was shopping around for an HD Fury device. I think I stumbled upon a steal for anyone looking to generate patterns for HDR10 and DV. Monoprice has the 4K Diva listed at 68% off list price at 164.99 dollars. I dont know if this is a price mistake, knockoff or what, so I ordered one.

i noticed this deal on 3-30-21 at about 2pm PST. I waited until my order was processed and shipped just in case it was a pricing mistake.
Just letting the enthusiasts know...
I just got my 3 B+ today so you had perfect timing! :cool:

·
Registered
745 Posts
Literally after I posted this, the deal went dead, omg
Not before I bought mine though!

As an aside, even though the Diva can do Dolby Vision, there is no way to send a DV pattern with it due to the closed off nature of the format right?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not before I bought mine though!

As an aside, even though the Diva can do Dolby Vision, there is no way to send a DV pattern with it due to the closed off nature of the format right?
I sure hope not! I need to calibrate for DV and was hoping this would take care of that, not just HDR10.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I sure hope not! I need to calibrate for DV and was hoping this would take care of that, not just HDR10.
I should specify that I have Calman Home 2021 with Sony AutoCal. I believe this, in combination with pgenerator, teds pgen iso on a raspberry pi 3b+ and the 4k diva hd fury should set me up for DV calibration. Is that right?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #688
I should specify that I have Calman Home 2021 with Sony AutoCal. I believe this, in combination with pgenerator, teds pgen iso on a raspberry pi 3b+ and the 4k diva hd fury should set me up for DV calibration. Is that right?
Sorry, that’s not how Dolby Vision calibration works.

You cannot just “force” Dolby Vision metadata onto an SDR signal, Dolby Vision metadata is embedded within the signal itself.

If you have a Sony, there is no need to calibrate Dolby Vision separately anyway as both HDR and Dolby Vision is derived from the SDR calibration. You can use the PGenerator with HD Fury to evaluate and possibly tweak HDR on the Sony, but for Dolby Vision the most cost effective method to measure Dolby Vision is with pre-encoded Profile 5 Dolby Vision Patterns (such as DVS DV Suite).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sorry, that’s not how Dolby Vision calibration works.

You cannot just “force” Dolby Vision metadata onto an SDR signal, Dolby Vision metadata is embedded within the signal itself...
Im about a 1/3 of the way through this 35 page thread, so Im still gleaning information, but is there a solution for DV calibration automation using pgenerator? I had assumed this was a full solution. Dont get me wrong, I thank everyone for the bit perfect cheap sdr calibration for sure! Im trying to put together a full suite I can use when I do my friends TVs on the go.

I just got the HD Fury 4K Diva in the mail, so Im just waiting on the Raspberry Pi to come in and set up tomorrow.

I actually have R Masciolas DVS HD HDR10 and DV media files. I used those files on a USB to calibrate DV in the past with some success. Is there a way to incorporate those media files onto the pgenerator device so I can call up those media files when I go through the Calman DV calibration sequence? Id rather be able to customize the pgenerator somehow to tell Calman to pick a certain DVS media file, if possible, than have to manually calibrate with my DVS HD disc for DV separately.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #690 (Edited)
Im about a 1/3 of the way through this 35 page thread, so Im still gleaning information, but is there a solution for DV calibration automation using pgenerator?
The first few posts on the first page explain what the PGenerator can be used for. Bit accurate SDR and HDR (with the addition of HD Fury) test patterns in Full Range RGB only.

Dolby Vision is a complex proprietary format and automatic test pattern generation is currently only available on very expensive external test pattern generators such as the Murideo SIX-G/SEVEN, or the VideoForge Pro (basically a SIX-G locked to CalMAN).

The only other option for Dolby Vision test patterns are pre-encoded (Profile 5) patterns, and these cannot be loaded in any way to be played back on PGenerator. They need to be loaded onto USB and played back directly via the displays USB port or other compatible external device (UHD Blu Ray player).

Im trying to put together a full suite I can use when I do my friends TVs on the go.
What TV’s are you planning to do on the go? If you are using CalMAN Home for Sony, then I am assuming Sony displays. In which case, you do not calibrate Dolby Vision, it is derived and calculated from the SDR calibration.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The first few posts on the first page explain what the PGenerator can be used for.
What TV’s are you planning to do on the go?
Thats good to know, I must have assumed DV could be autogenerated because there were posts on HDR and DV strings that were entered into the HD Fury.

I plan on doing manual calibrations but needed a pattern generator, because I hate all the back and forth clicking of getting the needed pattern, and then using a different remote to adjust the levels. Not to mention, all the options I was using were not bit perfect (i.e. Firestick 4K with mobileforge). I want it to be as accurate as possible. I have a C6 HDR2000 along with an X-Rite i1 Pro SpectralPhotoMeter, so Id like to have the best option for a pattern generator.

I have the Sony AutoCal, just because I had to choose a specific model for the Home edition and I happen to have a Sony. I primarily will be manually calibrating a Vizio PQ65 2018 model.

As long as I can get a great pattern generator for SDR and HDR10 to do most of the pattern generation, thats fantastic in my book. I have the DV USB if needed.

So when you say HDR, is that just HDR10 or does that include HDR10+? I think HDR10+ is more like how DV functions, so I dunno.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #692
There are no Dolby Vision InfoFrame strings for HD Fury posted in this thread, only HDR metadata strings and AVI IF strings (at least there shouldn’t be any DV strings, as they are unrelated to PGenerator).

I’m not familiar with how Dolby Vision calibration works on Vizio displays (they are not available in my location), you should ask in the relevant owners/calibration thread for that display for best practices.

HDR10+ just dynamically adjusts the tone mapping based on the dynamic metadata contained within the specific content. It is still based on the underlying standard HDR10 calibration.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Ok so I am stuck. PGen is flashed and it boots properly. When I went to the section of connecting it to device control via Direct Lan, I forgot to plug it the Lan cable to the computer, so I went through the whole add device part, got the right file from the cloud, but when I went to connect that to the RPi it obviously wouldn't connect. I plugged it in, and I didn't get any prompt to set the home network to private, it defaulted to public on it's own and I have no option to change it to private. When I try to connect on device control, I always get the "error connecting to device" pop-up. So I am sending up some flares up to the sky because I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do. You would think changing a network from public to private would be really simple in Windows, but from googling, it appears it is not for some unknown reason.

Worried about touching/changing anything without checking first. My thoughts are to delete the device from device control, and add it again but via LAN router connection since Direct Lan is not working for some reason.

Edit: Managed to find a way to change it to private by changing the local security policy, but I still get the same error in device control.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #694
Can you confirm that the PGenerator boots correctly and that you get the boot splash screen as below.

Can you also confirm that you have added the PGenerator as a device correctly and that the device ip address has been correctly configured.

If you are using the Direct LAN connection between the PGenerator and your calibration computer then enter "0", otherwise if connected via a router use Discovery or look for the ip address in the router configuration page (using the routers web GUI).

After confirming both of the above are correctly configured, you must check your firewall to make sure it is not blocking the connection to PGenerator.

If you are still having issues with Direct LAN connection, just try to connect the PGenerator to the network temporarily via the router and use the Discovery feature from Modify -> Modify Device (your calibration computer can be connected to Wi-Fi for this). Reboot the PGenerator device (remove power -> restart).

Once the PGenerator has rebooted, try and connect to the device via Device Control once again. If it has connected then it will point to a Windows network configuration issue, you can refer to this post for some ideas to try.

Reactions: Jin-X

·
Registered
745 Posts
Can you confirm that the PGenerator boots correctly and that you get the boot splash screen as below.

View attachment 3117853

Can you also confirm that you have added the PGenerator as a device correctly and that the device ip address has been correctly configured.

View attachment 3117854

If you are using the Direct LAN connection between the PGenerator and your calibration computer then enter "0", otherwise if connected via a router use Discovery or look for the ip address in the router configuration page (using the routers web GUI).

After confirming both of the above are correctly configured, you must check your firewall to make sure it is not blocking the connection to PGenerator.

If you are still having issues with Direct LAN connection, just try to connect the PGenerator to the network temporarily via the router and use the Discovery feature from Modify -> Modify Device (your calibration computer can be connected to Wi-Fi for this). Reboot the PGenerator device (remove power -> restart).

Once the PGenerator has rebooted, try and connect to the device via Device Control once again. If it has connected then it will point to a Windows network configuration issue, you can refer to this post for some ideas to try.
I did the change of security policy thing yesterday to get it to be under private networks and it wouldn't work even after a reboot. Today I wake up and try it and it connected immediately 🤷‍♂️

Guess the PC just needed to power cycle so the network change would be a clean slate. Thanks for the quick help. Next step is connecting to calibration software but that will be later in the day after work :)

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #696
I did the change of security policy thing yesterday to get it to be under private networks and it wouldn't work even after a reboot. Today I wake up and try it and it connected immediately 🤷‍♂️

Guess the PC just needed to power cycle so the network change would be a clean slate. Thanks for the quick help. Next step is connecting to calibration software but that will be later in the day after work :)
Did you reboot both PGenerator and restart Device Control? This needs to be done (stated in first post) for any network configuration changes to apply. Either way, the fact a PC reboot fixed the issue is good, so you should be set and ready to go now.

Reactions: Jin-X

·
Registered
745 Posts
Did you reboot both PGenerator and restart Device Control? This needs to be done (stated in first post) for any network configuration changes to apply. Either way, the fact a PC reboot fixed the issue is good, so you should be set and ready to go now.
Yes I turned off the RPi and closed both the device control browser window and the "shell". I think what was happening was related to the PC networking. It's a desktop so it's been on LAN for years. I had some issues switching it to the WiFi as it wouldn't connect to the internet. So the PC went from LAN internet to wireless internet after some work, then to a Direct LAN connection, but being detected as public, so more networking troubleshooting, etc. Probably just needed a full power cycling instead of just a restart due to all the changes.

To paraphrase Sean Connery as Henry Jones Sr., sometimes you just sit down and the solution presents itself

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
@liberator72 Would you recommend against using the PGenerator over a LAN network (connected to a router) vs. using the direct LAN connection?

Just asking since I‘ve been using it over direct connection so far (with no issues) but „logistically“ it would be easier to connect it to the router. One cable less that needs to dangle around the computer :)

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #699
I have two units.

I have one connected to the router via LAN (it is tucked away in my AV unit), and that one is connected to my main display at all times for testing purposes. I have absolutely no issues using this configuration.

My second unit is what I use on other displays and I use that either with Direct LAN or Bluetooth connection (depending on circumstances at the time), and have no issues with either of these connection configurations either.

Direct LAN is obviously the recommended configuration as it is a direct connection and prevents possible wireless interference during extended display profiling (causing patch display/measurement sync to be lost). Not such a big deal for manual calibration, but for display profiling/3D LUT generation it is critical that sync is not lost.

You can test for stability of each connection method with your own setup to find what works best for you.

Reactions: Jin-X and dergeeeht

·
Registered
745 Posts
@liberator72 I was reading the part about Ted's test patterns for PGen and this part has me a bit confused: "To enable the Template, a new ISO image file will need to be downloaded and flashed to the SD Card of your Raspberry Pi unit." Wouldn't flashing the card with this ISO write over the PGen ISO on the card?

Also I would like to thank you for making something so daunting be so easy with such a detailed and easy to follow guide. Helps make it a lot easier, and cheaper, for us newbies to jump in and learn how to calibrate.

681 - 700 of 728 Posts