AVS Forum banner

701 - 720 of 728 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I was reading the part about Ted's test patterns for PGen and this part has me a bit confused: "To enable the Template, a new ISO image file will need to be downloaded and flashed to the SD Card of your Raspberry Pi unit." Wouldn't flashing the card with this ISO write over the PGen ISO on the card?
Yes, this is correct. Ted’s version is a standalone PGenerator image that builds on the “basic” PGenerator with added improvements.

·
Registered
106 Posts
@liberator72 I was reading the part about Ted's test patterns for PGen and this part has me a bit confused: "To enable the Template, a new ISO image file will need to be downloaded and flashed to the SD Card of your Raspberry Pi unit." Wouldn't flashing the card with this ISO write over the PGen ISO on the card?

Also I would like to thank you for making something so daunting be so easy with such a detailed and easy to follow guide. Helps make it a lot easier, and cheaper, for us newbies to jump in and learn how to calibrate.
Ted will provide you with a separate ISO file with a customized PGenerator version. This needs to be flashed to the card and yes, wi overwrite any existing version.

EDIT: @tsanga beat me to it ;)

Reactions: Jin-X

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #703
@Jin-X

As the guys above have said (thanks guys), Ted's pattern disk ISO will overwrite anything that has been previously flashed to the SD Card.

As stated at the end of Post 4, the development to bring these patterns to PGenerator is independent to that of the generic PGenerator development.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk, PGen Edition is completely independent from the generic PGenerator ISO image you find in the first post and because of this you will need contact Ted directly to discuss obtaining the specially developed ISO image and template by clicking the link at start of this post or by clicking here.
Whilst this does overwrite the standard PGenerator installation, Ted's version does still contain the full working functionality of automatic patch generation. Just see it as an expansion of PGenerator functionality.

Reactions: Jin-X and dergeeeht

·
Registered
745 Posts
Thanks everyone, I was perceiving it as an add-on file only at first. Tested PGen last night with Calman Home and it worked as expected with the simulated meter. Now just have to wait for the HD Fury Diva and the i1Display OEM to arrive.

·
Registered
26 Posts
To test this, just connect PGenerator to your TV and software of choice. Select PC Levels in your software (0-255) and display a 10% patch of 16.16.16 upon a black background of 0.0.0.

If you can see the 10% patch window, then your TV has auto selected PC Levels (RGB Full), in which case there must be a setting hidden away somewhere in the menus. If the entire screen still looks black, then your TV likely only supports Limited Range.
This was very helpful to know I was in the correct colorspace. I have a Vizio PQ65 and to get the correct setting, I had to change ‘colorspace’ from RGB to YCbCr. It was set on Auto, which then selected RGB. Once I chose YCbCr and followed the directions, I could confirm I was unable to see the 5% window, but was able to see the 10% window. I changed to RGB colorspace to confirm, and yes, I was able to see both the 5% and 10% windows.

For anyone who doesnt have “limited’, it may be YCbCr on your TV.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Alright I bought Ted's version and my i1 Display Pro OEM has arrived. Just have to wait for the i1 Pro 2 I bought which was an April 2020 build so it must be from one of the last batches made, still has the "please remove first" sticker on it so it's basically new 😁

Unfortunately the 4k Diva I bought on that sale appears to be completely lost in the shipping ether.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I got my 4K Diva next day. Awesome buy, hope it comes through for ya.
i still need to find time away from the fam to complete calibration :)
I've already cajoled them into swapping it for an integral 2 at a "discount" if it's determined the package was lost (Dive no longer on the site so it looks like it was a clearance). But hopefully it shows up by Friday.

Edit: And just like that some activity on the tracking data after a week of being stuck at shipping label created

·
Registered
8 Posts
Maybe is just don't understand, but how to do this step: "Cloud User Account (step 4 of 6) "

I startet the Device Control App and typed in the browser: 127.0.0.1:81

There is no possibility to create a cloud user Account, because there is no device?
The only option i have is "click on new and select new device"

Maybe i understand it wrong, but i think there have to be a step before creating the Account.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #711
Yes, try adding the device in Device Control first (the device does not need to be connected at this time) before creating the Cloud User Account.

The steps outlined here are specifically for setup of LG OLED templates which was why I suggested to ignore most of them, but step 3 mentions that the device must be added before creating the account.

I will edit the first post to make this a little more clear.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey thank you for your fast reply. I added now the PGenerator and saved the configs. I also added the "connected template" but while clicking on "Connect" it gave me a failure message: Error connecting to device.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #713
When you added PGenerator as a device in within Device Control browser window, what IP did you set? How are you connecting, Direct LAN, Network LAN (via router), WiFi, etc?

After configuration, you must reboot the PGenerator Device (by removing power) and fully restart Device Control for any changes to take effect.

With such limited information it is impossible to diagnose. But these are the basic first steps to try and are outlined in the first post.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey i clicked on the two small arrows and than a IP appears. The Pi is directly connected to the PC via LAN. Also reboot of the pi didn't solve the issue.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #715
You have to restart Device Control (both browser window, and Device Control service) also. If unsure, maybe try rebooting your PC.

Also, when using Direct LAN (ethernet directly connected to PC via LAN cable), you should enter "0" as the IP address.

If a direct LAN connection between your computer and PGenerator is used, enter “0” as the ip address.
Always make sure you reboot both the PGenerator device, and Device Control software when making any network configuration changes.

I am also assuming that the PGenerator ISO image has been successfully flashed to the SD Card, and the SD Card has been inserted into the Raspberry Pi card slot? You will see a splash screen (scrolling text upon a black background) on your connected display when booting up the PGenerator if you have.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, all done. Doesn't work. I also see your comment with IP "0". I also tried this solution. Doesn't work.
The Image work, Pi boots up and finally it gets a black screen. But Network doesn't work.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #717 (Edited)
What software are you planning on using PGenerator with?

Also, please can you provide some screenshots of your Device Control service and browser window (including the Add/Modify Device window) as shown below. It’s difficult to diagnose or suggest anything with such limited information.

Other than that, the only other suggestion I can make is that you check your firewall to make sure it isn’t blocking the connection.

·
Registered
8 Posts
it's connected now. I think my PC or the cable does not support direct-connection. The Pi is now on the router and connected :) Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #719
Okay, but unless your PC is very old, then the direct connection should work. But it matters not, connection via LAN to a router is just as good in my experience, and in fact, unless I am away from home then it is the method I personally use.

As long as it is now working, that is all that matters.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I tried the Pattern Generator now with HCFR and it works, but it is not possible re remeasure. So it is only possible to measure one time, after that i have to restart the Pi so it will work again. Do you know this issue?

And i found a new bug in Calman also. The 0% Gray Pattern is definitly not a 0% Gray Pattern. If I use the MobileForge App with my Fire TV 0% Gray is totally black, but with PGenerator 0% Gray looks like 10% Gray. I think I need to make some Settings inside my TV, but which?

701 - 720 of 728 Posts