AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've been a lurker on here for years while wanting to build my own theater.....and am now going to start. Just got a new house...and sadly there are not a lot of houses around here with decent basements. So I bought this house, and am knocking out the wall between two of the smallest rooms and moved the two doors into one, to make my theater room.

Dimensions are 23x11.8 ft.

I just need some overall help with everything when it comes to what to put into the room. I've tried to do a bit of research here, but there is so much info, and it's hard to figure out exactly what will work well for me.

I have a dedicated media computer that will be my source for movies/ blu-ray. I need help on the screen, projector, and speakers. I can easily find a screen going from anywhere from 600-3000 for what I want. I just dont know which way is the way to go. I plan to go with a fixed frame screen, as this will be a dedicated theater room.

Here are some pics of the room itself....so far we have just knocked down the wall between the rooms, and dont want to bother with drywall/paint till I get all my wires ran everywhere.

Now yes there are some windows in this room, I plan to cover them up or get some serious darkening shades so they wont impact the room as far as the lighting goes. The wall that will be used for the screen is 138 inches wide, so I could go as big as a 150 inch screen, but will most likely look around 130 so I do have a little bit of room on each side of the screen.

On the speakers, i was originally intending to get some floor speakers for the front, but upon reading on here, some have said to get a nice set of box/shelf speakers, and a good sub and that will do better than the floor speakers?

any and all advise is welcome!!

Thanks

Chase

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok, so I have been looking around some more on the screens....and am thinking of giving this a try...Elite Curve135WH1..the reviews I have found are good, haven't really seen any negative reviews against it.

edit upon looking at projectors...I now realize you have to have a different type of projector for 3d out of a computer...now would it be smart to go that route? or just spend an extra couple hundred bucks for a regular 3d blu-ray player? From what I understand this will only affect 3d movies, so the rest of my regular movies that I have on my computer should still be able to play through the HDMI out of the computer, and on the programs that are already on my computer.... am I understanding that correctly?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts