AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for your input on front L+R speaker placement in a dedicated 11'Wx20'Lx9'H home theater room.

Constraints:

-I have already purchased my screen. An AT screen is not an option.

-My room width and screen width are fixed. I have 15.25 from my screen border to the perpendicular running side wall. I have 26 from the carpeted floor to the bottom of the screen border.

-I have already purchased inwall speakers (10Wx14H) and would prefer to use them.

-With in wall speakers, trial and error or test runs are obviously somewhat difficult.

-If I were to get rid of the inwall speakers for the front L+R and get floorstanding speakers, the speakers can only be 8 to 9 deep, otherwise they will interfere with the doorway.

-Room aesthetics are important. I'd sooner have reasonable sound quality and forgo room acoustical treatments.

-Also, budget is already overspent (ofcourse).

My options are:

1) Front L+R in wall speakers on the sides of the screen at ear height (2 between the speaker and the perpendicular running sidewall). Benefit - matched speakers across the front (L+R and Center), no additional costs. Drawback - reflections off side walls.

2) Front L+R in wall speakers under the screen (6 away from carpeted floor, approximately 7' between front L+R speakers). Benefit - matched speakers across the front, reduced reflections off side wall, no additional costs. Drawback - front L+R speakers well below ear height.

3) Build angled buildouts to place in wall speakers in. Benefit - matched speakers across the front, minimal additional cost, front speakers at ear height, more effective distance between sidewall and speaker. Drawback - arguably less aesthetically pleasing, a little more elbow grease required.

4) Purchase smaller floor standing L+R speakers. Benefit - front L+R speakers at ear height, can angle speaker towards listening position, increase distance between speaker and sidewall to 7. Drawback - speakers across the front won't be matched, lose the clean, arguably more aesthetically pleasing look to the room, additional expense.

Your thoughts on this are appreciated.

Note that I started a similar thread here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post20864080 , but I'm asking this question again because I complicated things by asking a whole bunch of other questions in the first thread (although I got some very good input, particularly from dwightp), I don't think I posted the question in the right area of the forum, and my design and constraints have changed slightly.

Thanks.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If you have the tools and the know-how, I think option 3 could actually be made to look quite aesthetically pleasing, and is probably the best trade-off accoustically without spending a lot more money. Could be a fun little DIY project, actually. It wouldn't actually be all that difficult, and if you did a good job with tapering off the boxes and painting, I think it would be a very unique and attractive look.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The angled buildouts could look unique.

I'm doing all the work for the room solo (minus the upcoming carpet install and I needed help drywalling the ceiling) so constructing these buildouts won't be much of an increase in cost at all (given my charge out rate of $0.00/hour).

Likely the largest angle I could get though would be 14 degrees without impacting my door and its trim (optimal would be around 22 degrees to be inline with the main listening position).

So without any detailed analysis, you figure the improved performance would justify the additional work and would be superior acoustically to the other options?

What about putting the front L+R and center below the screen in a buildout angled up towards the listening position?

·
Registered
167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12 /forum/post/20893646

So without any detailed analysis, you figure the improved performance would justify the additional work and would be superior acoustically to the other options?

What about putting the front L+R and center below the screen in a buildout angled up towards the listening position?

Yes, without any real data, my gut fealing is that the angled in from the sides approach would be best.

Angling up from the bottom wouldn't not work, but I feel like it would be less aethetically pleasing overall. You'd also be sacrificing the width of your soundstage. Additionally, getting the tweeters as near to ear level as possible is always a good idea, when possible.

I wouldn't get TOO wrapped up in having the issue of reflections off the sidewall. Yes, speakers work better when they have a lot of free space around them. However, with some good room EQ, and the angling in, I think it would be tolerable.

One thing to consider would be putting some kind of moderately absorbant material into the corner beside the speaker, to try to cut down on the direct reflections that are coming off the near wall. It'd be trial and error, but it might help. Easier than moving the in-wall speakers around, certainly. You could just jam a pillow in there or hang up a blanket or something to try it out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.