AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Built out my basement a while back and finally getting around to finishing the home theater room. Not a very big room (14.7' long x 9.75' wide x 8' high). Have two rows of seating (back row basically hugs the back wall and sits on a riser while the front row is approximately 8.2' from the proposed screen location). Lighting is controlled (no windows, can lights and wall sconce lighting on dimmers). Not sure which way to go as far as display is concerned. Originally, had decided on the BenQ 1070 and a 82" Draper Clairon React MS1000V Screen with Vel-Tex Frame. But flat panel displays are so cheap right now and virtually maintenance free (can pick up a Sharp LC80LE650U 80" display for under $3,000) why wouldn't I want to go that route? Room will be primarily used to watch movies and play games (XBOne/PS4) with the family but would have the guys over to watch football games on Sunday.

Already pre-wired for both so could definitely go either way and money isn't really a factor since pricing for both are negligible. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
296 Posts
How high is the ceiling?

Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
If you were planning for an ~80" screen already, then yeah, I'd go with the TV, too.

Main reason would be for gaming with the new consoles - if anyone wants to use the motion sensors (Kinect), they'll be standing up or otherwise in the path of the projector light anyway...

Jeff

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC  /t/1520615/dedicated-theater-help-projector-screen-vs-led-flat-panel-display#post_24430299

if this is a home theater, get at least a 100 inch screen, otherwise it is a TV room and don't expect me to make a repeat visit if you stick me in the back row for a piddly little 80 inch TV.

Who's says you'd be invited in the first place anyways

100" is about as big as I can go but it would take up the entire wall which is OK I suppose, was just worried that it'd be too big for the size of room.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Flat panel might be okay. Have you considered doing a 2.35 aspect ratio screen with a projector? Great for movies and you won't feel like you're too close. I sit about 9' eyeballs to screen and it's great.

Big has a reserved spot in the money seat in my theater if he ever makes it to The Land of Enchantment.

·
Registered
399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew  /t/1520615/dedicated-theater-help-projector-screen-vs-led-flat-panel-display#post_24430828

Flat panel might be okay. Have you considered doing a 2.35 aspect ratio screen with a projector? Great for movies and you won't feel like you're too close. I sit about 9' eyeballs to screen and it's great.

I agree go with or at least try a 2.3t Ultrawide screen and pronector. The feeling of watching this rafio is so pleasing fo the eyes. Especialy when you get Big scene showing of city skylines or wide open spaces no 16x9 screen can match.

We sit 8.5 feet from 152inch 2.37 ratio screen in the first row. Its Amazing.

Room is 13feet wide 16feet deep from false wall to the back of the room. If folks have a small space just get a smaller screen for tbat space but maximizes it to the room. Get the biggest screen you can, down the road if you didn't you will wish you had.

and remember have fun in this hobby

Big has a reserved spot in the money seat in my theater if he ever makes it to The Land of Enchantment.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I really hate cell phones sometimes when you rely on them to help you post something online. Last week i responded to this thread with a quote but nothing was typed by me. Just the quote Man technology sucks sometimes. But then will praise it the next minute.

I'll have to go back and read hear and try and remember the words I used. What I do remember is go for the front projector and a 2.35 2.40 screen.... You won't be sorry.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts