AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Have done a drawing on a house that I intend to build this year that will be a home theater slash guesthouse. Because of rules here in sweden, i get to build a 25 sqm (269 ft²) large house without a building permit. This means that I am limited to 5x3.5 meters(16x10feet) inside.
Have been looking around for good speakers for a long time and have now landed on the QSC for the front and surround. It is the SC-2150 and these should be behind the screen. SR-8101 , for the surround. Now I would like to know if I am completely wrong and if I bite off more than one can chew".
Are my space to small for my choice of speakers? I am keen to hear movies at the reference level so I do not want to limit myself to consumer speakers. Let me hear.

Attachments

·
RETIRED theater builder
33,835 Posts
I think every recent new construction theater project plan I've seen in the last year has included ceiling mounted speakers for Dolby Atmos soundtracks. If you go that route your side and rear surrounds may be too high.

The other thing I notice is the lack of subwoofers in your plans. Those main speaker specs indicated they go down to 38hz, not as low as a lot of guys here aim for of less than 20. If you do go with subs then having mains that go down to 38hz are somewhat overkill as the crossover frequency for the subs will usually be 80hz or higher. Meaning you won't be using the low end of those massive mains.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
If your room has a low noise floor, then it's limited size and the associated speaker throw distances pretty much assure you any decent commercial
speaker will play reference level.

Issues I see, is will those large lower drivers might use your AT screen as a filter. I would suggest dual down firing subs and smaller mains and not utilize the
the deeper extension of the mains.

Your seating also is very likely to be too close to an AT screen. And do you really want to sit that close to horn loaded speakers? I wouldn't. Not that I don't use compression
based drivers, and big dual subs, in a small room like yours. It is complete and total overkill, times ten. It never gets cranked and my system was done rather affordably,
but with future plans, for a bigger space come a retirement move. If I were to ever redo this small room, it would be with some nice large higher end in wall speakers, in a shallow
baffle wall. Basically I would plant more room depth on the people side of the AT wall.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
If you are good with a single row (and for that size I think that is a good choice vs trying to shoehorn in two rows) I'd consider a slightly different ratio to get to that 269 allowed limit. Extra width here will really help in getting the best sound you can. Instead of 16x10 maybe ~15x11 or even ~14x12. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
I would be all over Bigus's idea of a slightly wider foot print if that's a possibility.

A third seat would give you the chance at a money seat. And if you don't have your gear already, a room as such
might just feature a minimalistic system.

Would a bump out count against the square footage? You might be able to host the projector and a small av rack beneath,
in a bump out. Not only would that lengthen your throw distance, both it would also create a home for the gear, that wouldn't eat
up square footage.

Something like this could maximise your square footage and mean giving up virtually no space to speakers.

The fabric side walls could hide a second egress while still presenting uninterrupted side sightlines, while allowing for hidden
acoustical panels and cable runs. if you want columns, I do like the side walls (ceiling and lighting also) of Art Install's The Loft.
Something like the shadow boxed front of JBL demo's room, could mean a wing wall could be hinged and visually hide a
secondary emergency egress, such as a tall window that has the capability to open like a door.

http://www.artinstall.ru/en/projects/loft

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would be all over Bigus's idea of a slightly wider foot print if that's a possibility.

A third seat would give you the chance at a money seat. And if you don't have your gear already, a room as such
might just feature a minimalistic system.

Would a bump out count against the square footage? You might be able to host the projector and a small av rack beneath,
in a bump out. Not only would that lengthen your throw distance, both it would also create a home for the gear, that wouldn't eat
up square footage.

Something like this could maximise your square footage and mean giving up virtually no space to speakers.

The fabric side walls could hide a second egress while still presenting uninterrupted side sightlines, while allowing for hidden
acoustical panels and cable runs. if you want columns, I do like the side walls (ceiling and lighting also) of Art Install's The Loft.
Something like the shadow boxed front of JBL demo's room, could mean a wing wall could be hinged and visually hide a
secondary emergency egress, such as a tall window that has the capability to open like a door.

http://www.artinstall.ru/en/projects/loft
Thanks, good suggestions and I do like your idea about subs firing down from attic. That would indeed save some squares.

I did another drawing, but with wooden and brick facade as foundation. I would save appx 15" total inside- not much, 11'5" ft x 18' ft.
Also, I have considered the HTM-12 for the fronts so I could make that route if the majority thinks it is overkill with 2150s.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you are good with a single row (and for that size I think that is a good choice vs trying to shoehorn in two rows) I'd consider a slightly different ratio to get to that 269 allowed limit. Extra width here will really help in getting the best sound you can. Instead of 16x10 maybe ~15x11 or even ~14x12. Just something to think about.
Okay. So wider on the short side are preferred. Maybe I will skip storage and pantry so that would also allow longer length.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts