Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently bought a used Infocus LP755 for around 1400$. I plugged it in using a standard s-video connection from my Philips Q50 DVD player, and the picture was just stunning. Great colors and sharpness only black level suffering somewhat (I live in an apartment with all white walls).

But after a while I noticed a green dust blob almost in the center of the screen :mad: ARGGHH!!

No big deal, right? I'll just blow a little around the air intake underneath the LCD panels....sure! After around 15 attempts I managed to blow it out using a bicycle pump! :D

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Yeah, I use a smilar hand pump designed to blow up long balloos (to make balloon animals). Helps if you hook a concentrator on it (like those used to blow up beach balls). Lots safer than liquid based canned air as contaminants will gum up your optics.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Most of those compressed liquid computer air-dusters are certified as sterile and free from contaminants. If you use an old bicycle pump, you could be sandblasting your LCD panels...

Just don't hold the thing upside or spray for 30 seconds straight and you shouldn't get liquid.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
The liquid may be free from contaminant and sterile but will cloud and streak on your lens or panel giving artifacts. I hear your concern about dust and such so I added a filter to my air pump's hose (IV filter available at most hospitals). Plus I blast a few outside before I blast inside the PJ.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'd be worried that the bicycle pump may contain oil or other lubricants that may come out when you use it on your projector.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I'm sitting here looking at a bottle of the stuff I was talking about. I'm not sure if you can buy it at CompUSA...where I work just has them lying around.

It is called Super Duster 134 Plus by M.G. Chemicals. Fairly bland looking white can that looks much like what you'd buy in a store but advertises:

zero residue

no ozone depletion

"Ideal for preventative maintenance on electronic, eletrical, optical equipment and devices such as...computers, audio & video equipment."

I dunno, I'd trust this more than a bicycle pump :)

I have a feeling it is the same stuff as sold in the store though. As long as you don't turn it upside or spray so long that liquid starts coming out, you should be fine. Proper "technique" is short bursts to knock stuff free and not using the can so much it freezes in your hand (which makes it work poorly and spew still-liquefied propellant all over the place.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.