AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Deep Impact is coming out on blu-ray on September 15. I really want this movie. I think I will try to purchase it as soon as I can after it comes out.

·
Registered
338 Posts
It's a shame this movie had to come out at the same time as Armageddon. DI was superior in every way but the big names (Bruce Willis, etc.) in Armageddon meant it got more attention than DI.

I'll be interested in the relative PQ and AQ on this one when it comes out.

Brian

·
Registered
7,802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptorsys /forum/post/17053852

It's a shame this movie had to come out at the same time as Armageddon. DI was superior in every way but the big names (Bruce Willis, etc.) in Armageddon meant it got more attention than DI.

I'll be interested in the relative PQ and AQ on this one when it comes out.

Brian

I wasn't a big fan of either of these two, but I can tolerate Armageddon when nothing else is on tv. I'll never actually try to watch it. Since both stories were weak (IMO), the one with the most explosions and action wins, I guess.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I didn't find either film great but certainly like Deep Impact much more than the other. I'll likely pick this up on Blu-ray this fall.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Apples and oranges: Deep Impact was more of a sober drama-cum-disaster movie (if admittedly not a brilliant one) while Armageddon...was a Michael Bay movie. Anyway. I'm down for this pretty much for the space scenes and Morgan Freeman, but I'm still hoping for a modest sale...

·
Registered
672 Posts
I am really looking forward to this title. I had the original non-anamorphic DVD and then double-dipped to get the improved DVD when it came out...

I'm hoping Paramount won't screw this one up.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I'll take Armageddon any day over this movie. Armageddon doesn't try to be anything that it isn't. It's stupid, mindless entertainment and it succeeds marvelously. Deep Impact though, it just bored me to tears and since LotR I can't ever look at Frodo the same again.

·
Registered
233 Posts
This movie is ok, the ending kinda ended fast. Good build up of the story but it just ended like that.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Téa Leoni's performance is the most wooden that I've seen in a Hollywood blockbuster for many years - and let's face it, it's up against some stiff competition.

Steve W

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
This movie seemed to much like a made for TV movie to me. Armageddon, while not a great movie, at least had some nice special effects.

·
Registered
57 Posts
i knew armageddon was going to be crap when they spent an entire sequence explaining why michael bay couldn't be arsed to spend the time and money on zero-g effects.

big-budget, special-effects movies don't have to be bad/lazy film making, but that's the kind of director michael bay is.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I am of the opinion that Deep Impact is an order of magnitude better than Armageddon. The latter is just obnoxious. I intend to buy it if they don't mess up the PQ and AQ.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
The master for Armageddon was reported to be destroyed in a deep impact
fire accident. No news on whether it was re-created.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta Tester /forum/post/17060693

I am of the opinion that Deep Impact is an order of magnitude better than Armageddon. The latter is just obnoxious. I intend to buy it if they don't mess up the PQ and AQ.

Deep Impact actually has a story and characters you care about -- I think it's one of the more emotionally involving "disaster movies", and it's leagues better than Armageddon as a piece of dramatic cinema IMO.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I thought Deep Impact was the great film about the end of the world,watched in the theater for 5 times,I won't miss this BD.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Funny, here in Canda, Deep Impact was JUST on 3 days ago. It was in HD, transfer looked great! BD should be even better!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Um, this is a Paramount catalog title, correct? I'm hoping for the best that this will look and sound fantastic. However, with their recent track record, I wouldn't be suprised if this, like many other titles, gets filled with DNR and EE. With Paramount's tampering, I'm guessing the entire comet will probably be smudged out.

·
Registered
6,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptorsys /forum/post/17053852

Where are you talking about?

At least in the US, DI was out for three months before Armageddon:

Deep Impact release date : May 8, 1998.
Armageddon release date : July 1, 1998.

DI was a sort of talky end-of-the-world pic; Armageddon an old-fashioned popcorn summer movie.

Critics at the time called the former the "chick flick" version of the story, the latter the teen boy version.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts