AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help me decide which one to buy. I already have the Grand Canyon imax, but am not willing to pay $40 a piece. I've already seen Under the Sea in 2D on my vt25 and it was the best picture I've seen yet.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
I own all three and honestly you can't go wrong no matter what you get.

Space Station 3D has a little more visible crosstalk than the other two but the 3D vistas from space are still majestic. I'm an astronomy buff so this would probably be my number one pick.

Under the Sea 3D was, in my opinion, the better of the two underwater 3D presentations. There was only one scene where crosstalk was at all noticable. The sense of depth was outstanding and several instances of fish and other sealife appearing to come out of the screen towards you.

Deep Sea 3D was also a very good presentation but the narration by Depp was very dry to my ears and Winslet seemed to be talking to a room full of five year olds. While the imagery shows very good depth there is very little in the way of stuff coming out of the screen towards you. There were also a couple of scenes involving deep water jellyfish that seemed to have some compression issues to them. Lastly, this one kept freezing up on my Samsung C6900, though it played fine on my PS3. Interestingly, there was a firmware update for the C6900 a few days later.

·
Registered
87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP /forum/post/19612903

Under the Sea 3D was, in my opinion, the better of the two underwater 3D presentations. There was only one scene where crosstalk was at all noticable. The sense of depth was outstanding and several instances of fish and other sealife appearing to come out of the screen towards you.

Deep Sea 3D was also a very good presentation but the narration by Depp was very dry to my ears and Winslet seemed to be talking to a room full of five year olds.

I have viewed all three and kept one....and that one is "Under the Sea". The color is very vivid and the narration is fine. One scene involving a huge codfish poking his nose into the room is worth the price of admission and has become my "check this out" 3D demo.

I've put both Deep Sea and Space Station on Ebay (Space Station is still active in case you're interested). Deep Sea leans towards a "watch the big fish eat the small fish" angle and the narration is annoying (and preachy). Speaking of annoying narration, Tom Cruise takes the cake in Space Station. He reminded me of my opinionated obnoxious cousin. One viewing and off to Ebay with that dude.

Of course, all this is IMHO and YMMV.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts