AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my progressive scan Sony GX7 DVD recorder for a month and a half now, and while I'm not using the progressive scan yet, I've found that I have playback issues with the Deep Space Nine box sets that may be 'related' to this functionality in the hardware (i.e. 3:2 conversion circuitry).

I'm witnessing what appears to be a frame interpolation error, where things get strobey/slo-mo looking. This is the video only, audio seems unaffected. After a couple of seconds, the picture returns to a normal, non-ghosty, non-slomo looking playback. Nothing 'hitches' or distorts like a playback/dirty heads kind of thing. Its like it doesn't know how to play the video material at the proper frame rate. Odd.

Note: No other pre-recorded content so far has been affected, so I don't know it there's something borderline about the encoding or source material for the show (it's film-based, but maybe the effects/video posting turn it into video source and that's where the 'issues' are coming from).

Anybody know what could cause this or experience something similar?

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Does it happen when the credits are displayed in the beginning of the episode or during effects shots? The frame rate does change as these frames are encoded as video and can cause combing. Try a different deinterlace method if available....some players handle this better than others.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems to happen at different times. Not always on an 'effects' shot, often when its talking heads dialogue scenes. I haven't tried switching to a forced "video" 3:2 mode, maybe I should. What other deinterlace modes/settings should I be looking for? Sorry, never had this issue with my non-progressive older Sony DVD player...

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A follow up to my playback issue w/ commercial TV discs (specifically DS9). Switching from 'Auto' to 'Video' in the progressive set-up menu seemed to do the trick.

As was suggested by others on another thread, they probably did some non-standard framerates and odd 3:2 pulldown cadences that 'freak out' the RX7's cinema circuitry. I imagine it would look better using progressive, but I'm stuck with an analog set for the moment...

Thanks to those who offered their input

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.