AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved into a new house and the only real place for the TV is over the fireplace. My Polk Audio RTi10's floor speakers and CSi5 center channel will not work in this setup. As such, I am looking for another solution. I am considering a soundbar and have a couple of questions:
  1. How much am I giving up going to a soundbar setup?
  2. Would a 5 channel soundbar be better or worse that a 3 channel soundbar and dedicated surrounds?
  3. How would a 5 channel soundbar with additional dedicated rear surrounds work for a 7.1 setup?
  4. I am looking at either the Def Tech Mythos SSA-50 or the TR-SSA3. Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks,

Josh

·
Registered
1,878 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlp16au  /t/1509287/def-tech-mythos-ssa-50-vs-xtr-ssa3-and-in-ceiling-rears#post_24150153

I just moved into a new house and the only real place for the TV is over the fireplace. My Polk Audio RTi10's floor speakers and CSi5 center channel will not work in this setup. As such, I am looking for another solution. I am considering a soundbar and have a couple of questions:
  1. How much am I giving up going to a soundbar setup?
  2. Would a 5 channel soundbar be better or worse that a 3 channel soundbar and dedicated surrounds?
  3. How would a 5 channel soundbar with additional dedicated rear surrounds work for a 7.1 setup?
  4. I am looking at either the Def Tech Mythos SSA-50 or the TR-SSA3. Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks,

Josh

Josh

If surround is important, then you want multiple channels, not a multi-channel soundbar.

The psuedo surround from most multi-channel soundbars can be annoying.

Good sound can be had at a very reasonable cost via soundbar. Some have a broader soundstage than others. Vizio has the best surround sensation of almost anything else out there at a fraction of the cost of the units you are interested in. Def Tech is probably way more accurate and does include all five channels, however, that is not the same as surround.

I have both a very good four channel soundbar as well as numerous models that simulate surround. My current primary sound bar is 2-channel only and is giving me more joy than any unit previously used as it is both natural, accurate and doesn't do anything distracting. The Def Tech will do the same, but at quite a huge differenc in price plus a very hard to manage size for most people.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
David,

Thanks for the response.

In a perfect world, I would have the 5 channels driving 5 separate speakers. In my current setup, I can easily do in-ceiling rears, in-ceiling fronts (maybe floor standing fronts), it is the center channel I am having problems with. My mantle is only 5.75" deep. This means I can't use my Polk CSi5 as it is about 11"deep.

Given this situation, what would be your recommendation?

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
For a passive 3 channel soundbar I was impressed by the GoldenEar SuperCinema 3D Array. Comes in two models/sizes, is wide enough you get some nice separation and doesn't try to fake surround.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm getting a ssa-50 tomorrow driven by a Denon X1300. I'm just double checking that I'm not supposed to use audyssey with it. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
194 Posts
DefTech SSA-50 Works For Me

I am in the situation of the OP. I gave up my 7.1 setup and went with a Vizio S5451w-C2 54" 5.1 soundbar. First of all, I'll say it sounds good. It just was missing the accuracy and fullness that I had been accustomed to. Also, center channel dialog was not always clear. I never got rid of my speakers and receiver but rather kept them in storage just in case. In the meantime, I kept an eye out for a better soundbar solution. I really couldn't do separates very easily so was pretty much committed to the path I was on.

I considered the Goldenear Super Cinema 3D Array and offerings by Kipsch, BIC America, even Dayton Audio. After reading two convincing reviews at Cnet and Sound & Vision I settled on 5-Channel Mythos SSA-50 hoping that the surround effects promised by the array of drivers in the case really worked. This would also allow the flexibility to use it as an LCR soundbar as well.

I didn't buy new. I got one off of ebay for $350. I pulled out my HK AVR 2600 and old Cambride Soundworks P500 sub and configured it according to DefTech's recommendation and I have to say that the surround effect is real. It is by no means as good as a system with discrete separates but it sound very, very, very good! I am very happy with the result. It is exponentially better than the Vizio and I can add in two of my surrounds for 7.1 again, though I have since replaced the circa 2008 HK receiver with a 2016 Yamaha RX-V581 which can do 5.1.2 Atmos, so I will probably forgo 7.1 and add a pair of Atmos add-ons for two height channels.

I would note that most of the SSA-50's, SSA-42's that I have seen on ebay have cosmetic damage, as was the case with mine. However, you aren't actually going to see it due to the nature of what the soundbar is. So don't let that deter you. The cabinet of mine has a few dings and scratches but all I see from my listening position is the front grille. By the way, I contacted DefTech customer support and they do have parts. I bought a new grille for $35 and now it looks perfect.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Got an ssa3. Something anyone googling this speaker should know is that the mounting holes are too wide for a down and out fireplace speaker bar bracket.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts