AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to be buying a 65x950b , and am also looking at the def tech pc600. I know it's not top of the line, but it will end up being my bedroom surround sound when I buy my big atmos system in the fall

Thoughts? I work at Best Buy and have heard great things from the magnolia guys about the system, if anything the subwoofer is underwhelming, but for a good discount, is this a good system for a bedroom?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Would probably go pc600, then add the prosub 800 or 1000

big difference between the 800 and 1000? pc600 suck?

Again just a 5.1 for a smaller room

Also if I go with the pc600, and add the 800 or 1000 should I run dual subs or sell the 600 and just run the one?

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I would do a surround set up using either all Pioneer FS52/BS22 or the Sony Core series (SS-CS5/SS-CS3) before doing the PC600. Your discount will be better on those most likely and you'll get much better bang for the buck. Unless your are really constricted on space, I would avoid sat/sub combinations as (to me) they always leave something wanting. The PC600 are probably fine for movie watching, but I wouldn't recommend them at all for music. With a system like that you're going to be relying heavily on a sub to make up for the deficiencies of the tiny speakers.

If you have a Magnolia, you might also look into Energy speakers like the CB-5 or CB-10. I used a pair of CB-5 paired with a CC-5 center for a while and they were very dynamic sounding speakers, but ended up way too bright for my tastes.

Reactions: [Irishman]

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would do a surround set up using either all Pioneer FS52/BS22 or the Sony Core series (SS-CS5/SS-CS3) before doing the PC600. Your discount will be better on those most likely and you'll get much better bang for the buck. Unless your are really constricted on space, I would avoid sat/sub combinations as (to me) they always leave something wanting. The PC600 are probably fine for movie watching, but I wouldn't recommend them at all for music. With a system like that you're going to be relying heavily on a sub to make up for the deficiencies of the tiny speakers.

If you have a Magnolia, you might also look into Energy speakers like the CB-5 or CB-10. I used a pair of CB-5 paired with a CC-5 center for a while and they were very dynamic sounding speakers, but ended up way too bright for my tastes.

Interesting. I'm still learning about all of this stuff even though I've worked with electronics for 3 years. I would not consider myself an audiophile nor a video inclined person. I was just told by a man who worked for magnolia that the pc600 was a good setup for the price. I will check into energy and pioneer, and I don't like the sound of the sony speakers we have in store so I'll probably stay away from those

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For a little more I could run Promonitor 1000 with a prosub 1000, but that's still a combo even though they aren't all sold together. Cost me about $200 more

Just heard great about energy and def tech. Will be mainly movies and gaming, but also SOME music. I'm building an actual living room setup, this is just a small bedroom type setup. Didn't want to go over like 900 with discounts

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I think it really all comes down to preference. I'm not really big on deftech in general, less so on satellite-style speakers, but you will find a lot of fans of their bipolar and mythos stuff. Energy speakers seem to have a large fanbase, but not necessarily the CB line found at best buy. I owned the CB-5 and CC-5 as a 3.0-channel setup for a couple years, then used the CB-5s are rears in my HT, then used them as speakers for my PC before giving them away about six months ago. I just found them not to really suit my tastes but your tastes may be different from my own.

I had a pair of the original Pioneer bookshelves (BS21) a few years ago as a 2-channel music setup powered by a harmon/kardon hk3390 and found nothing to fault them for, especially at the price. IIRC they tended to be a little laid-back/rolled off in the treble and maybe boosted the mid-bass a little bit, but they ended up offering a very pleasing sound. They have a large fanbase and are designed by the same guy who designs the costlier pioneer atmos speakers. They have a large following both here and in the A/V press but I wouldn't exactly call them an exciting speaker if that's your type of thing.

·
Registered
217 Posts
If you can get Promonitor 1000s - it will be a noticable step up from 600s or 800s. At a minimum I would recommend getting them for front L/R. If you are planning to go with the Procinema 1000 speaker package, here are some suggestions:
1. It comes with Procenter 1000 center having 4.5inch drivers. Replacing it with Procenter 2000 is recommended.
2. There are better choices than Prosub 1000 available in that price range. So, you may think about getting a different subwoofer.

I have Promonitor 1000s as my surrounds. They sound great (specially for movies) and well worth the money.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have a pair of Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800's and a ProCenter 1000. While I agree with others that these speakers need a subwoofer, I find them to be crystal clear with great impact. Considering their small size, I am constantly amazed at how great they sound. One day I will pick up a subwoofer but until then I am more than happy with these speakers. I realize they are not the same as the PC600 speakers but they are similar. Some people love the sound of Definitive Technology speakers, myself included, and other don't. Get whatever sounds great to you.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you can get Promonitor 1000s - it will be a noticable step up from 600s or 800s. At a minimum I would recommend getting them for front L/R. If you are planning to go with the Procinema 1000 speaker package, here are some suggestions:
1. It comes with Procenter 1000 center having 4.5inch drivers. Replacing it with Procenter 2000 is recommended.
2. There are better choices than Prosub 1000 available in that price range. So, you may think about getting a different subwoofer.

I have Promonitor 1000s as my surrounds. They sound great (specially for movies) and well worth the money.
Unfortunately we don't sell the package where I work, I could get promonitor 1000's for either my fronts, back, or both (they come as "each"
Also we don't sell the procenter 2000 :/

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Interesting, I missed this post for some reason. What subs in this price range would you recommend? Again, no audiophile (though I'm learning more and more about the higher end stuff) but my buddy has klipsch icon bookshelves, the rear half moon klipsch and a 10" klipsch sub and while I think now I can hear where it's lacking....just learning this stuff it still sounds "pretty good"

But intrigued by the sub, the 1000 had good reviews (again I know not everything)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Interesting, I missed this post for some reason. What subs in this price range would you recommend? Again, no audiophile (though I'm learning more and more about the higher end stuff) but my buddy has klipsch icon bookshelves, the rear half moon klipsch and a 10" klipsch sub and while I think now I can hear where it's lacking....just learning this stuff it still sounds "pretty good"

But intrigued by the sub, the 1000 had good reviews (again I know not everything)
You can consult with the subwoofer forum for sub suggestions. At a minimum, you would need to tell the size/volume of your room and the budget. There are many choices available for

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I'd be open to other brands, maybe doing the 1000's in the back, front, whatever. I'm going to be going off of opinions and reviews mainl.

If anyone can find a pair of speakers or each that equal no more than $599 at bestbuy that would be good let me know.

Posted in sub section for that

·
Registered
739 Posts
I replaced Axiom M60 towers and a VP150 center with ProMonitor 1000's and the ProCenter 2000 and love how the Definitive speakers sound. I did keep the Axiom QS8's for my surrounds. The front soundstage sounds better than it ever has.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I replaced Axiom M60 towers and a VP150 center with ProMonitor 1000's and the ProCenter 2000 and love how the Definitive speakers sound. I did keep the Axiom QS8's for my surrounds. The front soundstage sounds better than it ever has.

Yeah reading and hearing great things about the PM 1000's. Now to find a Procenter 2000 at a good price since my store doesn't carry it.

Would you or anyone recommend just doing 4 PM 1000's or something different for rears? I don't want to spend more than $600 for the pair (getting the PM 1000's at a really good price)

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
While I would not recommend the PC600 system as a permanent living room/home theater setup, I think that they would be more than adequate for a bedroom setup.

In my living room setup, I'm currently using circa 2000 Sony towers and a matching center (back then they were the top of the line for Sony and on par with the better Polks and perhaps 1 tier below JBL's). Originally, I had a 5.1 setup with large Sony bookshelves for the surrounds. But, when we moved to our current house, the large bookshelves didn't really work with the room layout. I had them on stands behind the sofa, but the space behind the sofa is used as a walkway from the front door to the kitchen. One night, when walking through the house in the dark, I bumped into one of the speaker stands and down the speaker went. There was only minor damage to the bottom corner of the speaker cabinet, but a nice dime-sized indentation in the hardwood flooring. My wife was not too happy about that.

In any case, I was due to upgrade my receiver and went with a 7.2 channel AVR. So, I gave the large Sony bookshelves away and replaced them with four Def Tech Promonitor 800's. I have to say I am very happy with the PM800's as surrounds in a living room setup. They sound great and the small size and mounting options works much better with the room.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think for a few hundred more I may do the 1000s. Now I just need a center that best buy carries to go with it since they don't carry the 2000 center channel

·
Registered
737 Posts
I think for a few hundred more I may do the 1000s. Now I just need a center that best buy carries to go with it since they don't carry the 2000 center channel
bajawaverunner on ebay. It's DT's "unofficial" refurb seller. Ideally, you want the front three speakers timbre matched (same MFG/line).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Makes sense. Unless someone has a better option for the front 3. I'll check into eBay for the 2000

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Makes sense. Unless someone has a better option for the front 3. I'll check into eBay for the 2000
3 Pro Monitor 1000's would be considered better for front 3.

Since we can't know your discount and over all budget it gets hard. I would devote money towards internet direct subwoofer as nothing at best buy is priced right when you consider the dollar spent vs amount of bass it produces

1 - 20 of 27 Posts