AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

So I am trying to decide between the SSA-42 and the SSA-50 for my home "theater" setup. I dont have the option to purchase individual speakers as the wiring will be nearly impossible to do for the rear speakers.

I have a Samsung 55 inch LED and Onkyo TS-SR508 receiver. I am on a budget so I was hoping to get the SSA-42 and a adequate sub. All the things I read is that the SSA-50 is designed for TVs larger than 46 inches, so Im wondering if getting the SSA-42 will still be ok.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
The 50 was on sale at my magnolia/best buy a couple weeks ago for $699. It was actually $100 cheaper than the 42 they had there
The sales guy didnt know why, but I suspect the market for the 42 is larger so might find a deal on the 50 somewhere if they trying to clear stock (doubt magnolia still has it going). The one thing I will say is that the 50 is a beast. I recommend to go check it out in person before ordering online. The 50 is massive compared to the typical 300-500 soundbars and I was really surprised how heavy it was.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I have heard the 42 and 50 DT and both sound similar. As mentioned, the 50 is a beast. The 42 played loud enough with a modest amplifier to drive you out of the room. If the deal is good for the 42, that would be my choice. I have not heard the Polk mentioned above, but I have never heard anything made by them that is even close to DefTech.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazibones /forum/post/19571742

Thanks all for the feedback thus far. I checked out the 42 at Best Buy today and sounded great. So far I'm leaning towards that unless I can find that 699 deal on the 50!!!

Just to point you in the right direction, Deftech sells refurbished speakers on eBay under the seller bajawaverunner. Currently, the SSA-50 are going for 10% off the normal price of $700 for a few days. That makes it $630 shipped.

I just bought mine from him & it's fantastic.

Hurry grab the offer before it ends!

·
Registered
30 Posts
In case you are wondering about the Ebay seller, it's a known fact that he sells on the deftech users' thread in the speakers section in this forum.

You may also wanna consider getting a good sub to go with the SSA-50.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
But don't let the lack of a sub slow you down. Both Def Techs go down below 60hz cleanly and have crisp, solid bass.

·
Registered
77 Posts
After seeing this post I went and read as many reviews on the SSA-50 as I could find. Based on what I've read this is an amazing speaker and the same goes for the 42, however the 50 seems to edge it out in overall sound quality.

After reading all these reviews I have basically convinced myself that I need to get the 50 and a decent AVR. I know sound quality is subjective and hard to quantify, but would a SSA 50 setup sound significantly better than the budget bars that are primarily discussed here?

I did spend some time with a Yamaha YSP 4100 yesterday and it sounded amazing...but it wasn't like it was the best thing I had ever heard in my life, plus, in my opinion, it is one ugly sob. Conversely the SSA 50, and the Polk 50 for that matter, look much better from what I have seen, I just haven't heard them in person.

Bottom line, do these speaker/AVR systems completely blow the budget bars out of the water for standard TV/blu ray/gaming ect? If so I'll probably get something like that for my Pioneer 101FD and use the Sony CT350 that I ordered for my Vizio...

·
Registered
4,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3ftonm3 /forum/post/19595370

Have any specific data for such a forgone conclusion? Or is your derriere trying to be heard again?

Do you to go along with your recommendation?

I bought one on clearance from BBY for my sons bedroom and returned it. For starters, the cabinet had a horrible resonance and from the rip I could tell it was cheaply made which I was fine with considering what I had paid for it. The sound was very bright with a horribly etched/graininess characteristic with no midbass punch. The thing basically needed to be crossed over above 120hz (honestly a full octave above the sharp knee at 200hz) which clearly isn't a real possibility.

This thing is fine if you just want to make noise but I wouldn't pay anymore for it than your run of the mill soundbar. It certainly isn't in the same league as the DT or B&W bars.

The polk subs performance pretty much speaks for itself.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just purchased a ssa-50 and match pro sub 1000 from ebay.Both new in the box and great deals. Waiting to hook it all up including a pioneer vsx-32 and 151 display. I am going to wall mount the 151 and the ssa 50. I will post pics and review when i get it done in a week or two.

I think they are clearing out the ssa50's at bb cause a new model is on the way. From what i heard its going to be very thin like definitive's new thin line.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so I ended up ordering the ssa-42 based on price and size. I will let you all know how it is as soon as I hook it up but I think its going to be pretty awesome based on all the reviews.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Its been two weeks, I hung my ssa-50 and bought a pro sub 1000. Very impressed with the sound quality and dialog clarity. It has alot of balls when playing music via cd and ipod.

Only negitive is what a pain in the ass it was to install the speaker wires with shorting. Very tight work space....Well worth the $$

·
Registered
359 Posts
Got a refurb SSA-50 from bajawaverunner. I've augmented it with front wides (I simply can't place conventional front speakers in my setup) which I need to replace, as they are old Linn KANs with shot drivers (cross-over at 250!). I've paired it with a Rythmik F15 sub right under the TV to minimize localization issues. I think it will help to get real surrounds and front wides than can cross-over lower than the 120 of the SSA-50.

I am SO glad that I got the F15. It is the perfect size for my 4500 cu ft space. With the volume control on the sub at mid, the Audyssey calibration came out to +1dB. A smaller sub would have been inadequate.

Gonna add real surrounds with a remote A/B switch. (The TV is on an articulating arm, viewed from 3 different connected rooms LR/DR/Kit) then replace the Linns.

Will report back when it is all done.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Jtara or anyone using an SSA with real surrounds,

How do you like the surround effects of the SSA? Do the actual surround speakers you added compliment well or are they much more distinct (too distinct)? Are your actual surrounds connected as Sides or Rears?

I have 2 surrounds in the ceiling and I am debating on an SSA-50 vs Mythos 6/7. Obviously separate LCR would sound better but I am truly to figure out how much better. I am also trying to keep the look of the audio clean, hence the consideration or the SSA.

TIA!

John

1 - 20 of 23 Posts