AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I there is a sale on local audio shop. DT Supercube 2 for $250. They only have 1 left. anyone own this before? how you like them. They look very fancy on the back panel. Thx

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
It depends upon how large your room is. If you have a small room (up to 1,500 cu. ft.), it should work very well and should reproduce frequencies down to around 30 Hz with decent output. The $250 price is right and a good value. In a medium size room (1,500 to 3,000 cu. ft.) the less likely it can fill that volume with enough output (especially at the top end of that room size). BTW, don’t believe their specification sheet on frequency response.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
You need to look at output at specified frequencies. Take a look at the subwoofers at data-bass: http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=systems

Obviously, the greater output at the lowest frequencies will cost you a lot of money. Budget subs, such as BIC's best sub (PL-200) ranks the lowest on the chart. Doesn't make it a bad subwoofer, but compared to the higher priced subs it is incapable of that kind of performance.

The SuperCube II isn't a bad sub, especially for $250. While I wouldn't buy it (I'd be looking at subs from $800 to $1000 to fill your room), it doesn't mean you wouldn't be happy with it. This was a pretty expensive subwoofer when first released. But its small size will only take you so far.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
For the price of the that supercube2, you wont find another at that price thatll beat it...;) Ive owned my SuperCube1 for 10 yrs, most on here seem to knock the Def Tech subs...

But honestly I love mine and wont replace it till it dies... My room is 14x14 with 10' vaulted ceilings...

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
^ What most people knock is the ridiculous frequency specifications Def Tech spews out. Utterly laughable. This 8-inch multi-speaker design w/passive radiator(s) cannot possibly get down to 14 Hz as Def Tech specifies. I actually enjoyed auditioning the Def Tech Studio Monitor speakers, but again, their frequency response specs are the butt of jokes. Once Def Tech stops this nonsense and puts out accurate specs with +/- dB ratings, then you won't read people knocking them so badly (as long as price vs performance are in line).

As I said earlier, I agree that it is a good subwoofer for $250, and the O.P. may enjoy it. But it's not about to pressurize the room.

·
Registered
10,238 Posts
Thx for the info. My room is around 2600cu ft.12L*18W*12H. If i want to choose a sub that can fill room. What quality or spec i should look for. Thx again
I have the SC8000 which I believe is the replacement for the SC 1. It did a decent job in my 1600 cubic ft room given its size.

The SC 2 (SC6000) would be really good for the price. Give it a shot and if you don't like it you could probably sell it for what you paid or even a little more.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts