AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my Sub first turns on I get a small pop from it which I do not remember before. Its only when it first turns on ,I do not hear it again unless I shut avr off and turn everything back on they only when first signal for bass is sent to it. I called def tech and they said sounds like a muting circuit. That the sub sends a mute signal before it turns on so you can't hear the pop and mine isn't working. Not to worry it will not damage the speaker but if it bothered me to bring it in for repair to my local shop

Since it was still under warranty I brought it in to get fixed and they replaced the amplifier . Brought it home fired it up and same exact issue . So could be one of 2 things they didn't really fix anything or this small pop was always there but for whatever reason after a yr I just started hearing it

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
If the sub has an auto-on circuit, it can pop like that when activated. Lots of subs do that. If you can defeat the auto-on circuit (switch it to on all the time) it would probably stop the popping.

·
Banned
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike /forum/post/15578600

If the sub has an auto-on circuit, it can pop like that when activated. Lots of subs do that. If you can defeat the auto-on circuit (switch it to on all the time) it would probably stop the popping.

Thanks that sounds like it as it does have auto on. Theres no way to leave it on. Guess I just never heard it before

Wonder why the shop changed the amp for no reaon. oh well

Thanks again

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ive got the same sub, and I too notice that pop when I first fire everything up. I figured it was the auto on thing.

·
Registered
820 Posts
How loud is the pop? It's normal for all the SuperCube series to make a slight pop when it powers on out of 'sleep' mode. The previous post was correct, there is an auto turn-off/on circuit, and there is no way to disable it. It will stay on for 45-60 minutes after the signal stops, and will turn on within a second as soon as a signal is reapplied. Some subwoofers with this feature require a rather high level to turn them back on - not so with the SuperCubes. They will power on at an extremely low level, -65dB on my Kenwood receiver.

There are actually two amplifiers in this unit. For warranty repairs, Definitive usually recommends replacing both. And, they tend to not have problems with pre-emptive repairs, for example, replacing amplifiers if the shop cannot duplicate a problem, but the customer swears that it's there.

·
Banned
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Aaron your correct. I spoke with the shop and they replaced it even though they didnt think there was an issue. Adam at Def tech still had them replace it to see if it would fix what I had heard

So I guess its normal as its not a very loud pop at all but just something I dont recall hearing the first 11 months I owed it just the past 8 weeks. Oh well I probadly hear it now becuase I'm looking for it

Thanks for all your input

1 - 6 of 6 Posts