AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently upgraded my receiver to an Onkyo TXSR706 for 7.1 and seeming my speakers are 10 year old Sony HTiB I think it's time to upgrade them as well. My room is about 13'x25' but is an open floor plan so it really is like 26'x25' with a partial wall between, 8' ceilings. My fronts and backs are about 1-1/2' above ear level while the surround backs are at ear level. The listening position is about 15' from the front and 2' from the backs. It's only my wife and I so this is the listening position I'm really concerned about and really only concerned about home theater. I have a budget of about $1800 to work with, including sub.

I've narrowed it down between the Def Techs PM800 surrounds with PC1000 center and the Mirage nanosat prestige with nano cc. My area is fairly remote so listening before hand isn't really an option. Any opinions on one over the other? The Mirage has a bigger wife approval for appearance but I'm not sure how they would work in a 7.1 environment. I've currently got my backs separated but I've seen placement recommendations that have the backs placed side by side so I'm not sure what that would do for the nano's.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djc11369 /forum/post/15446969

I recently upgraded my receiver to an Onkyo TXSR706 for 7.1 and seeming my speakers are 10 year old Sony HTiB I think it's time to upgrade them as well. My room is about 13'x25' but is an open floor plan so it really is like 26'x25' with a partial wall between, 8' ceilings. My fronts and backs are about 1-1/2' above ear level while the surround backs are at ear level. The listening position is about 15' from the front and 2' from the backs. It's only my wife and I so this is the listening position I'm really concerned about and really only concerned about home theater. I have a budget of about $1800 to work with, including sub.

I've narrowed it down between the Def Techs PM800 surrounds with PC1000 center and the Mirage nanosat prestige with nano cc. My area is fairly remote so listening before hand isn't really an option. Any opinions on one over the other? The Mirage has a bigger wife approval for appearance but I'm not sure how they would work in a 7.1 environment. I've currently got my backs separated but I've seen placement recommendations that have the backs placed side by side so I'm not sure what that would do for the nano's.

I think the 800 and 1000 would be to small for that room. My room is 13x21 and I'm using SM450', PC2000 and BP2X's, with your room is bigger and more open the 800's & PC1000 will not handle the push to levels you mostly like want to hear. I'd consider BP-8, CLR-2002 and if you can find BP1.2 or 2X for rears. Check craigslist for cities around you or even across the US to find great deals on used DT speakers. All of my main HT room DT's are used, but you'd never know unless i told you. If you shop around you can get a full package for

1 - 2 of 2 Posts