AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased Talladega Nights and played it on my PS3 and the new Vizio 47". The PQ was very grainy and washed out, couldnt even finish watching the movie. So I put in The Fifth Element and the PQ was fantastic. Has anyone ever had this problem? Im taking the dvd back to BB and want my money back.

BTW.. are all these dvd's going to have the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. Thats one reason I bought the new 16:9 hdtv was to get rid of the black bars.!

·
Registered
180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragon4004 /forum/post/0

Just purchased Talladega Nights and played it on my PS3 and the new Vizio 47". The PQ was very grainy and washed out, couldnt even finish watching the movie. So I put in The Fifth Element and the PQ was fantastic. Has anyone ever had this problem? Im taking the dvd back to BB and want my money back.

BTW.. are all these dvd's going to have the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. Thats one reason I bought the new 16:9 hdtv was to get rid of the black bars.!

1. Talladega Nights is widely considered one of the worst transfers to BD out there-and TFE is right down around that level. Check the Tier thread for something that'll really blow your socks off.

2. Blu-ray Discs are not DVDs. DVD is a trademark of the DVD Forum, which gave its seal of approval to HD DVD. Just thought I'd give you a heads up on it. Not a big deal, but it helps you sound like less of a newb if you just use BD or Blu-ray.

3. Original aspect ratio is preserved on pretty much every movie you're going to buy in almost any format unless you buy the "fullscreen" version. Since BD and HD DVD are videophile formats for right now, you're not going to find a lot of "fullscreen" content, as most purists hate it. Just ignore the black bars, man. I have to admit that I prefer things in 1.78:1, but I do think preservation of the director's vision is important.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Get Crank for eye candy..... It is just mindless sex, violence in what is probably one of the best transfers on both formats.... No dirty black bars on this one.... Get use to these as a larger part of movies will have them. 1:85 Anamorphic will fill the screen.. So look for 1:85 if that is your preferance.....

·
Registered
739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lars10 /forum/post/0

Crank and Transporter 2 are the two best looking movies I have ever seen on either format and that is coming from a ONCE huge supporter of HDDVD only. I am not worthy of Blu ray.

I just can't plunk down that much cash for the transporter movies.. I probably still will though....
By the way I ammend my earlier statement. Movies do not have black bars they are just filmed in different aspect ratios.... Watch the movies in pitch black darkeness and tada......

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have a similar issue, but mine involves the black bars not being big enough...

Seriously, I want HUGE black bars....This is an outrage!

·
Registered
818 Posts
If you don't want black bars for any aspect ratio, get a front projector, an anamorphic lens, and a screen with a masking system. Read more about this in the 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat section of AVS Forum.

·
Registered
242 Posts
if u dont like the black bars turn off the lights, why people watch movies with all the lights on is beyond me. Dark room= bars disappear (well harder to see that is). Sure your screen size is smaller but if the picture filled the whole tv you would actually be seeing less of the movie. I would rather see the whole scene then someones face zoomed in. Too each his own i guess

·
Registered
8,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by units /forum/post/0

I have a similar issue, but mine involves the black bars not being big enough...

Hang in there. Ben Hur will release eventually....

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edvedder /forum/post/0

if u dont like the black bars turn off the lights, why people watch movies with all the lights on is beyond me. Dark room= bars disappear (well harder to see that is). Sure your screen size is smaller but if the picture filled the whole tv you would actually be seeing less of the movie. I would rather see the whole scene then someones face zoomed in. Too each his own i guess

I paid for all the pixels in my TV and I want them all lit up not black. Compared to old pan and scan 16X9 is good enough for me. Plus the movies have a larger impact. Widescreen is cool no doubts there but there should be a standard used in movies TV and theaters.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts

Quote:

I'd say that out of 150+ Blu-rays, there are probably 5 really bad transfers, and you own 2 of them. Congrats.
j/k

Seriously, as everyone is saying, definately check out Crank which IMO is the best looking non-cgi based HD film out there.

·
Registered
949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by apodaca /forum/post/0

I paid for all the pixels in my TV and I want them all lit up not black. Compared to old pan and scan 16X9 is good enough for me. Plus the movies have a larger impact. Widescreen is cool no doubts there but there should be a standard used in movies TV and theaters.

Cease buying films with an aspect ratio wider than 16:9, or use the aspect ratio controls on your TV.

·
Premium Member
26,558 Posts

Quote:

Your player is most likely not defective...but you do need to do some research first before making an uninformed decision. If you use the search engine using Talladega as your search word, you would have found these threads on the title:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=768431

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=777046

If you used black bars you would have found these threads:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=729451

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ght=black+bars

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ght=black+bars

·
Registered
8,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by apodaca /forum/post/0

No sympathy here! Movies come in all shapes and sizes. I like 'em all.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by units /forum/post/0

With a roll of electrical tape you can make the black bars as wide as you want

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.