AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had posted this in another thread, but decided to start my own, in hopes of getting more feedback.

I recently bought 200 Ritek (GO3 DVD-R with logo) on-line. I had been using less expensive generics but decided to upgrade to the Riteks because I had heard that Ritek had better quality control then the generics.

I have recorded over 800 DVD's on my DMR-E30 using the less expensive media without any problems. Allmediaoutlet.com indicates that the Ritek with label is compatible with the DMR-E30, but when I got them I could not get any of them (I tried 20) to record. They would randomly shut the recording down after about a minute, and have to "RECOVER" when the recorder was turned back on.

I know that the problem is not with my DMR-E30, because when I again tried my older generics they still record without any problem. Has anyone else experienced this using the labeled Ritek with the Panasonic recorders?

When I called the vendor for an RMA# for return, he said that if the media works for him when he gets it back, he will charge me a 15% restocking fee. This will cost me over $40.00 including return shipping cost, for media that he indicates on his webpage is compatible with the DMR-E30.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought 50 Ritek DVD-R from RIMA.COM. I've gone through about 30 of them, and to date I've had 6 failures. The failure usually manifest itself at initial write to the disc (causing a RECOVER as you describe) but 2 of them seemed to write the show fine but subsequently wouldn't write the title and would not finalize.

I've got a new -E80H and I write to the DVD-R almost exclusively in FR mode.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Was that 4x or 1x media? I had some 4x Ridata (Ritek) -r. I haven't used many but noticed they were much less compatible than 1x Verbatim in other players. They seem to work ok in the panny e100 using high speed dub but I'm not sure I would trust them for long term stability. I did have some trouble with the panny recognizing there was a disk present a couple of times. (Never had trouble with Verbatim 1x although I understand they may be made by Riteck acording to another thread. I haven't had any prob with compatibility. Would probably be worthwhile checking the manufacturing ID on the disk with one of the programs that can do that (dvdinfo etc.)

·
Registered
24 Posts
1x (G03s). I'm up to 8 failures in the stack, with 10 left to go. That's an 8/40 failure rate. Not good.

I bought another 100-stack of 'em, cause the price was very good (92c each delivered). If I continue to get a 20-25% failure rate it would be worth it to switch to a disc that's in the $1.25-$1.30 range.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GregAmy-Thanks for the info re: experiencing some problems with the Ritek DVD-R from RIMA.COM. Coincidentally, I had placed an order with RIMA for the same media, but thankfully was able to cancel before it shipped.

I did not want to take the chance of more faulty media before I am able to see what Allmediaoutlet can tell me about the media from them that I was having so much trouble with. As I said, my old generics continue to record without problems, and I was only having problems with the Ritek GO3 DVD-R's.

wookie- The Riteks were 1x media, but I was unable to check manufacture ID because I only have a DMR-E30. Don't the programs that give you this info only work with computer based recorders?

I am very frustrated as to what to do. As I said before I had been using generics for the last year without any problems, and only decided to start getting the Riteks because I kept seeing so many people post their good experiences using Riteks, and that they were highly recommended.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Although Ritek seems to be a popular favorite, my experience has been different. I've found that I've had the highest number of initialization failures (U11/Recover) from Ritek than any other brand of disc combined. I also have found that my Panasonic E-30 is the least tolerant of Ritek media (as you are experiencing). Using Standalone recorders, I've found that Ritek media averages about a 10-percent failure rate per hundred. Most other brands usually produce 1-percent (or less) per hundred.

I've also found that Ritek media has much better performance statistics when used with PC burners, which appear to be more forgiving than standalones.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I read in another forum that a person bought some from supermedia.com (where I too bought mine but haven't received them yet). They said the Riteks would not work in their PC recorder

" received 200 Ritek G03's (silver top/purple dye layer) from supermediastore during the Labor Day sale. I tried burning 4 via TDK indiDVD 440N + Nero Express - received "illegal media" errors.

Put in TDK 4x +R, and tried Ridata 1x -R and had no problems.

Anyone else that bought Riteks from them about the same time as I did (beginning of September) having any problems? "

I hope mine don't turn out bad.

·
Registered
580 Posts
UPDATE:

I received my disks today. The came in a spindle of 50 x4= 200. They say RIDATA on the hub and the plastic wrap also said RIDATA. I noticed that they don't have a mirror finish like my original Riteks (it's more of a matted finish) and that they are not easily smeared as my orginal GO3s. They look like Riteks and I have burned 3 discs successfully. These appear to be the real deal and in fact look a little better. Rumor has it that they are trying to clear these away because there is a stamp on the hub that says RIDATA and most people who put labels on the dvd-r don't like that. I don't mind because I use hub labels and it covers it, and I like the new matted finish look vs. the mirror because they don't smear as much. I'm glad the prices are back down. You cant go wrong with these. Good luck

·
Registered
135 Posts
bnbhoha,

Just got my order of the matt finish today; haven't yet had a chance to try them; funny how the "spindle" isn't a spindle--just a top and bottom; this is my first try with Ridata's; let me know how your's work.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I got a cake-box of 100 Ridatas the last time I ordered Riteks. They are the white-tops and I haven't had a single problem yet. I wish they still came on a spindle. They slide around too easily when unwrapping the package.

John

·
Registered
292 Posts
Received mine yesterday from supermedia - same description as above - so far burned 3 successfully - (watched recording on 1 - no problem) put mine on an empty CD-R 100 spindle that I was about to pitch.

·
Registered
56 Posts
wow, this is so strange to read about these problems. I've burned over 6,000 DVD-R and RITEK has always been the BEST blank DVD-R for me. (I dont know about their DVD+R) I have used MediaPro (ultra-crap), Princo (ultra-crap), Lead Data (crap), Beyond (crap), Taiyo Yuden (crap), DVD-ON (crap), DVDPro (crap), Xtreme (crap), Prodisc (crap), Optodisc (crap), Verbatim (crap) HQ (crap), Accu (crap), BeAll (crap), Mitsui (crap), Prime (crap) ~ but RITEK has never ever failed to write or read! I am not saying that you guys are wrong or have poor equipment or anything like that... I just wanted to post that I am just so astounded by your problems.

maybe the merchants you buy from are sending you media that others have returned to them for problems and they are just re-selling bogus stock?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm getting a yield of about 97% with Princos and BeAlls.

For the record, I'm absoutely disgusted with the poor quality control and incompatibilities inherent with the DVD recordables.

Compared to video tape, DVD recordable is a giant step backwards. Its a shame we must endure such headaches just to get a modest boost in picture quality.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I am having great luck lately with the Name Brand sales recently- Fuji(BBuy), Verbatim(OFF DEP) and TDK (BB 2 months ago)- I think people are going to find out that in the long run name brands will be the most reliable. although I have burned 10 from Comp USA that were generic store brand taiwan made that worked fine - buck a piece.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HoustonGuy
I am having great luck lately with the Name Brand sales recently- Fuji(BBuy), Verbatim(OFF DEP) and TDK (BB 2 months ago)- I think people are going to find out that in the long run name brands will be the most reliable. although I have burned 10 from Comp USA that were generic store brand taiwan made that worked fine - buck a piece.
the funny thing is, is that those "name brand" companies don't usually manufacture their own media. for example, RITEK is the company that makes name-brand DVDR media for Memorex, Fuji, etc.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Burned 6 more Riteks (ordered 100 from Supermedia) and all have burned properly - no disc rejects.

I have noticed however, that upon viewing - the last two burned had 5 or 6 (for lack of a better word) blips during playback - the audio stays constant but small sections of the picture jump - not whole frames/picture and not large pixels. In one instance a hand looked like it was waving - another looked like a head was shaking back and forth but they were only temporary and did not disrupt the program or lock the playback. I checked the source material to make sure it was fine, I replayed the scenes and the same happens at the same place. I have since re-burned a new copy and there are no incidents at the same spots - will have to watch the whole film again to see if they are still present somewhere else. Have never noticed this on any TDKs I used before the purchase of the Riteks - comments?

·
Registered
292 Posts
2 more burned last evening - and re-watched the 2nd copy of the film on new Ritek disc - and yes - blips/artifacts appear several times in this copy also and this time disrupt audio - disc pitched - worse than 1st copy. The 2 new burned Riteks also have varying degrees of visual blips/artifacts - doubt if Supermedia will take them back.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Supermedia is excellent about returns. I purchased 50 Optodisc DVD-RWs and not only did they let me return them, but they refunded shipping cost and did not charge a restocking fee. All I paid was my shipping to them. Explain exactly what is happening and they'll get right back to you with an RMA number. (I hope!) BTW, they know about this thread. While I was waiting to receive my Riteks from them, I e-mailed them and said I was a little worried about the quality of these because of the reports I had read here. I included URL for this thread.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I guess it's time for me to chime in here again, since I was the one who started this thread back on the 17th.

MGK-Glad to hear of your good luck with Supermedia. I did not fare so well with Allmediaoutlet. Not surprisingly, when I returned the 200 Riteks that I got from them, they indicated that they tried them and they were OK. They did charge a restocking fee, and did not reimburse return shipping.

I know that the media was faulty because as I indicated before I tried about 20 of them without success. When I went back to using the generics that I had from a previous order, they worked fine, without any of the problems that I experienced with the Riteks.

I have recorded close to 900 DVD's on my E-30 without problems, and only had problems with the labeled Riteks from Allmediaoutlet. Even though I had ordered 300 generics from Allmediaoutlet previously, they still wanted to contend that the Riteks were OK even though I experienced otherwise. Not very good customer service, and they have lost a customer as a result.

I will definitely try Supermedia next time, because it sounds like they want to make their loyal customers happy.

·
Registered
56 Posts
wow, AllMedia have sold me over 700 "perfect" DVDrs! and SuperMedia are a bunch of rip-off asses! i would NEVER buy from SUperMeDia. they like to send you the wrong media and tell you that YOU are wrong that you got what you ordered when you are sitting there with the WRONG item in your hand.

they will also NEVER reply to emails! SuperMedia blowz!

Riteks have never let me down! i just got my E80H and burned 8 discs so far, and they were all Riteks! 2 labelled, 3 silver top, and 3 frosted silver top (RiDATA)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.