AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new issue of Consumer Reports (Sept) contains a long story on digital cable and satellite. For the first time, they also include some favorable ink on HD.

That's the good news.

The bad news is that, in reviewing specific products, they get virtually every fact wrong about the DTC 100, portraying it as a sort of oddball box that only works with RCA HD sets.

Why should we care? Because the DTC-100 is the most simple, cost-effective point of entry for most HD newbies, and this report will scare them away from it.

I've just written to CR correcting their errors, and I hope a lot of others will, too.

Here's what they said:

"RCA DTC-100, $550 Very good, though requires RCA set for HD.

"Has componenmt video outputs.[Don't we wish!] Receiver can control VCR. But power consumption higher than most (about 35 watts> ) Proprietary HDTV video connector works only with RCA HD-ready TVs."

They also say that the only other set at this price, the Dish 6000, requires a $150 add-in module to receive OTA HD, but never mention the on-board OTA capability of the DTC-100.

I'm usually a supporter of CR, but this time it sounds like they never even opened the box.

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
I have noticed the same thing about "cr". They seem to rush through on somethings as if they get their info from an outside source.

------------------

Kipp

IS THAT A REMOTE CONTROL IN YOUR POCKET OR ARE YOU JUST HAPPY TO SEE HDTV?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Spoffo:

I'm usually a supporter of CR, but this time it sounds like they never even opened the box.
I subscribed to CR for about a year several years ago but didn't bother renewing my subscription when I concluded that HDTV and other hi-tech products are simply beyond the comprehension of their average staff member. The high-end audio and video magazines are better info sources, and of course, as we all know, if you really want the inside scoop turn to the AVS forum. Nonetheless, it's nice to hear that they are acknowledging the existence of HDTV,

--Marc (a happy DTC-100 owner sans an RCA TV)

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
It sounds like they are simply quoting RCA literature, old stuff at that. When this box first came out this was the company line. I bought mine at Best Buy. When I declined to buy the companion RCA HDTV in favor of my 21" VGA computer monitor for the time being, I was told it would "blow up" the VGA monitor. A lot of people have since enjoyed HDTV on their computer monitors with a DTC100 before deciding on a true HDTV set!

Along came the $120 Audio Authority 9A60 that converted the DTC100 VGA signal to YPbPr. It worked on almost all sets except for a few Panasonic models. Key Digital made a $300+ unit that produced the text book tri-level sync and worked with even the Panasonic sets. RCA not wanting to miss out made it's own convertor that sold for $130 and was half way between the Audio Authority and Key Digital unit. It produced proper Tri-level H sync but not V sync.

In any case the DTC100 was the best box on the market for <$1000 HDTV. Yeah the program guide was a bit limted (Ithink it's just fine) but remember all the problems with the Toshiba and Sony STB's. The DTC100 just kept plugging along.

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
When I know nothing, I find consumer reports to be a great source of information. But if I do my own research ON ANYTHING, I find that they are way off base. I find this is most obvious on things I know more about. This has been the case with all consumer electronics, cameras, computers, cars, dishwashers, refrigerators...

I still have my subscription.

------------------

Alex

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I guess they've never seen the back of a Zenith HDTV with its component "and" RGBHV HD inputs, the latter on a 15-pin VGA connector just like the one on the DTC100. Plug and play HDTV.

------------------

HiDefDave

[This message has been edited by David McRoy (edited 08-09-2001).]

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by work permit:
When I know nothing, I find consumer reports to be a great source of information. But if I do my own research ON ANYTHING, I find that they are way off base.
Same here. They sent me a trial subscription which I've evaluated, and honestly, I don't see the value.

HDTV technology is still way over the heads of most consumer-level publications. That's one of the things that will have to change to increase its acceptance.

John in VA

------------------
Visualize Whirled Peass> c>

·
Registered
464 Posts
CR is a load of hooey on electronics, but they are right on the mark when they named Sierra-Nevada Pale Ale as the top scoring beer!!! They just rated rice laden Budweiser too high! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

·
Registered
716 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Spoffo:
...But power consumption higher than most (about 35 watts> )
Sounds like they're more used to testing electric fans and ovens... power consumption is certainly top of my priority list when buying a HD STB http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

------------------

"You can't argue with a confident man"

- Napoleon Wilson, Assault on Precinct 13

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
"When I declined to buy the companion RCA HDTV in favor of my 21" VGA computer monitor for the time being, I was told it would "blow up" the VGA monitor. A lot of people have since enjoyed HDTV on their computer monitors with a DTC100 before deciding on a true HDTV set!"

I been trying to figure out if this is true you can use a pc monitor with a stb.

I want to lone my parents my spare panny decoder. I think I would need a component to vga converter since I'm not useing a dtc100 to connect it to there monitor tho.

is this true.

thanks

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I have 2 of the little boxes. I think for the money you can't beat it. Its not a that bad of scaler for NTSC Sat and OTA. And with the newer software it will work with a lot of different monitors. I have one on my Mits and on my Barco projector. Just need more HD material to use it.

------------------

Hello ! My name is Mike and I’m a Home Theater Addict.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I used the DTC-100 for OTA for a 2-month interam period before I got my hands on an E*6000. During that period, the DTC-100 gave me absolutely no problems. Tryed & true!

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
The DTC-100 has RGBHV output (on a DB-15 connector), which is compatible with most multiscan computer monitors.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

[This message has been edited by Ken H (edited 08-17-2001).]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.