Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all -

I've been lurking and absorbing information to the point of overload the past week, and am in real need of some help. Due to space constraints, it looks like a FP is the best solution for my home theater setup in my apartment. However, this will be the primary TV in the household, and I have concerns about the effects of ambient light on the picture from a FP. My living room is very open, there is a loft over looking it, so the ceiling is open all the way up. There is a round window way up top, that cannot be covered. Also, on side of the room is a wall of windows, and a door leading out to balcony, so this room gets a pretty good amount of light during the day. Are there any projectors out there, that would be good in this type of lighting situation, or are they all going to appear washed out? The light is controllable to a point, but the wife wont allow anything crazy, especially since we have a fantastic view, and she doesn't want to cover that up. Yes, I can close the blinds, but the room will still be fairly bright. I've been considering the Sanyo XP18N & XP 21N, as well as the Mits X80 or X300, and the NEC LT150. How will these projectors fare in these conditions, and what would be the best screen to pair one of these up with under these conditions as well?

Thank you all for the incredible education you have given me, and I hope to stick around here for a long time!!

Mike

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
With all that light, your best bet is probably the Sanyo XP21N with a low gain screen like the DaLite High Contrast or the Grayhawk. You're going to need a lot of lumens to overcome all that light. I wouldn't give up on changing the window treatments though. After all, they can be opened as well as closed.

I have a similar problem, though not as bad as yours and this has put the Sanyo at the top of my list for now. I've read several reviews that indicate this projector is so bright it puts out a vibrant picture even with a whole heckuva lot of ambient.

However, there is ambient light and there is ambient light. Where it comes from relative to the screen and your sitting position is pretty important too.

Suggest you post back and let us all know WHERE the windows are relative to where the screen and your sitting area will be.

Dan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response...

As far as the window locations, if I'm facing the wall where the screen will be - about 13' from my viewing position, which is against the opposite wall - the windows cover the entire right side of the room, about 7' from the side of the screen. The circular window is on the same side of the room, but about 20'+ up. The windows face E/SE.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
A similar situation to mine.

I'm thinking XP21N, Panamorph and 50% gray screen into a 80" x45" space.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Whew!

I think I'd find a way to black out those right-hand windows or at least cut the light drastically when you're watching. I don't see how any projector/screen combo could overcome that much light.

The basic problem is that the very property of the screen that makes it work with the projector, reflection of light, will also cause all that outside light to wash out the picture.

To my knowledge, the only HT projector out there now that packs over 2000 lumens is the XP21N. That's where I'd start.

Since you live in NYC area, I would bet you could rent an XP21N and try it out, first on the wall. If it works with the blinds closed, you're home free! A gray screen will just improve on that situation.

Dan

·
Registered
556 Posts
Any chance your wife will let you replace the window treatments? There are very attractive blinds and shades that have sun blocking material on the back side of them. So, the inside of the room lookes like it has "normal" window treatments on it, but when these blinds or shades are closed they block almost all of the light.

On the other hand you could do what I did in my theater. I put a shade in the top of the window, pulled it down so that it was closed, and then put two layers of sheetrock over the window from the inside. Needless to say, no light comes through.

Cheers,

Bernd

·
Registered
168 Posts
You DO NOT "need" a Grey Screen. If you are blowing the budget on the projector I would personally buy a pull down Da Lite B snap. My 100" was like $150. Works like a charm, light, portable, and easy to mount.

I couldn't ask more from the image, I do not have any problems with lighting diminishing it.

This wins you time to properly decide on size, placement, etc. in case you get a more pricey permanent screen down the road.

I bought my projector first, then a scaler, and I intend to get a nice screen in a few years.

There are plenty of good DIY options too, but I think the normal 1.3 gain white will make you very happy for hte time being with the Sanyo.

dg

·
Registered
423 Posts
I would suggest the opposite approach to the grey screen, and reccommend the Dalite HiGain. If you can shelf or stand mount the projector, the directional nature of screen will both amplify the image from the projector and minimize the effect of ambient light at the side. Low gain screens, being less directional, will be more affected by off axis room light, and more washed out.

I second the model B (or C). Quite reasonable.

I would also suggest watching most of your movies at night!

[This message has been edited by drmyeyes (edited 05-30-2001).]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again everyone...I'll let you know what happens after my visit to B&H Photo tomorrow. BTW, does anyone know who had the best price on the XP21N right now? Best I've been able to find is about $6k. Anyone seen it for less anywhere?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Actually, one wife, two kids, one dog.

The difference is that I was fortunate enough to have an unfinished room in my basement that I was able to coopt for use as the theater. Since it was not being used for anything else, it was not a problem to dedicate it.]

Cheers,

Bernd

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys, for all the responses...

I really like the idea of sheetrock over the windows, but I'm pretty sure the wife won't go for it. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif I spoke with a Sanyo rep earlier today, who suggested that I check out B&H in Manhattan. I'm hoing to try and find someone who will rent me one of these for a somewhat reasonable price, so I can try it out at home. It's hard enough to try and convince the wife to spend $6k on a "TV" let alone tell her we have to close the blinds in order to use it! She already thinks I'm nuts!

One last thing, it seems that for my type of situation, that most people are recommending a gray scrren, correct? What advantage will the gray screen give me with the ambient light? And, if I'm blowing the budget on the projector, what is the best low cost method for a screen? Thanks again, everyone!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hi,

I agree with the previous advice to work on reducing the ambient light.

My experience is that with a great TV or projector and a lot of ambient light the results will be poor. With a good TV or projector and low or no ambient light the results can be excellent.

Good Luck,

Mitch

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.