AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have yet to see a satisfactory answer in this forum that says whether or not the Denon DVD-4800 has the chroma bug. Has anyone seen any websites or magazines that address this issue on the 4800?

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Magazines are only about a year behind us ;)

I don't think Stacey or Don has given this one a look yet, and as far as I'm concerned no one elses opinion matters on this subject ;)

Regards,

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
In a prelease product description Denon claims that the DVM-4800

utilizes "newly improved 3-2 Pulldown Detecting MPEG-2 decoder-No Chroma Bug!" They obviously were aware of this problem at the time the player was nearing introduction, so it's entirely possible that they actually addressed it. I agree with John, however, that the final verdict will have to come from someone like Stacey.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
John can Stacey or Don add this player to their latest shootout??

I know many, many folks are interested in it for its audio capabilities and the changer aspect as well.

-- Cain

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I'm curious as to what all in the 4800 specs read superior to the Kenwood DV-5700 5-disc changer specs?? It's obvious the two players are out there intended to be head-to-head competitors.

Of course the Kenwood whips the 4800 right out of the starting gate for videophiles with it's Sage/Faroudja deinterlacer and Sage/Faroudja video enhancer chips. However, I notice the 4800 uses 12-bit 54MHz video DAC's where the 5700 uses 10-bit 54MHz video DAC's. Of course the 4800, using a Genesis deinterlacer, MAY also include some great non-anamorphic scaling a-la Pany RP91 with it's Genesis deinterlacer.

My perception of the 5700 design target is to be a player that is also solid in audio performance. Notice that it has a "video OFF" switch to help it delivery pristine audio performance.

I wonder where the 4800 is made? The 5700 comes from assembly in China that may or may not be via a captive Kenwood facility.

I'd sure like to see the long-lost SHOOTOUT II complete player write-ups to find out how the 5700 does in audio. It would be a super surprise for the 4800 to make it into the complete player reports from SHOOTOUT II!!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm, I wonder though if the 2nd generation Genesis chipset is a good rival for the Sage/Faroudja though? The point is, there is a lack of info about the true capabilities of the DVM-4800, and I think I speak for many forum members when I say that there needs to be some official light shed on this player.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Michael Lee has reviewed this player. See http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/043701.html

Personally, I am still waiting for another review. I suspect the sudden problem he experienced with video ghosting was due to his cables. The other problem with Zoom is not germaine to my video environment.

·
Registered
80 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Stacey, PLEASE HELP US AND GET A REVIEW OF THIS PLAYER OUT!

With regards to Pete's posting, that was back in July if I read the post correctly (before the 4800 release), and, as we all know, often times companies change things before the final release of a product.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I can confirm the problem that Michael Lee mentions in his 'review'. I went to a shop in OKC that had the unit. Had them set it up and put it through its paces. The problem was definately there. However, the units in stock were from the first batch run.

Since then, I've spoken with Denon and they are aware of the image dropping problem and a fix is underway (scheduled completion within 1 week.) However, they neglected to say and I forgot to ask if the issue was isolated to 1st run units.

I've spoken to quite a few dealers that have also confirmed the problem existed for the initial batch but say that all current stock is problem-free.

At any rate, once Denon assured me a fix was coming, I went ahead and ordered this unit. I'll post my review after I recieve it and put it through the grinder.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
drvais,

It's not quite that simple, unfortunately.

I'm sure Stacey and Don will look at this player when the opportunity affords itself.

Regards,

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Thanks John, I knew it would not be a simple task for them to add this player to their list, but I can say that many folks would realy appreciate it if they did.

Take care,

-- Cain

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
"Yo Adrian!!".. ;)

Please keep us all posted on tis player, take a look at the number of view of this thread, and you'll see there are many of us who are leaning towards this player..

Let us know ASAP, when you get it please..

-- Cain

·
Registered
236 Posts
Guys-

Where have I been? I have not noticed the chroma bug on this player but I was not looking too closely. I have noticed the problem on my Toshiba 9200 and the Denon 2800 also. I have had a few AVS locals here before and no one mentioned anything.
Quote:
I suspect the sudden problem he experienced with video ghosting was due to his cables.
This I doubt. I swapped my Panasonic RP-91 with the Denon 4800 using the same interconnects. I had no problems with the Panny. I have heard there are sometimes issues with the Sony 10HT and some progressive scan DVD players. Two models were mentioned where they were sent back to the manufacturer for a fix.

Any AVSer who wants to take a look is welcome to come by anytime.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Their web and one dealer I visited mentioned a "new" MPEG decoder chipset. Something about a Genesis V (?) according to the dealer. Could be mixing facts or remembering something wrong, but he was definately wound up about a new chipset. Does any of this mean anything to anyone? Who knows all about Genesis? Could they now be using the same decoder from Panny?

Assuming they fix the flicker, this player would be at the top of my list pretty quick. I really like the buffer.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.