AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...

Does anyone out there have any first hand experience comparing the 7001sc's to the 8060 or 8080's. I haven't been able to listen to them side by side and would like some feedback from those who have. I have seen mixed reviews with some saying the older 7001's were superior and better built...others saying the imaging and transparency of the newer models is better. I already have a supercube reference sub so the bottom of the bottom end is covered.

They are going into a large (22 x 32 w 12' ceilings) multipurpose HT / listening room ( see layout below) and will be used 50/50 for HT and critical listening. I mainly listen to classical and jazz. I can get either the 7001's or the 8060's for about the same price.

I am also looking at the Gallo reference 3.5's and Monitor GX200's if anyone has any experience with those as well.

I really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks !

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I own the 7001's and have heard the 8080's, but not side by side. I have had my 7001's for 5 years and only heard the 8080's once at a magnolia. The 8080's have fewer rear drivers and produce less of a bipolar effect. Definitive refers to them as foreword focused which they say is a good compromise between bipolar and monopolar sound. The 8080's sounded very good but I prefer the 7001's.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturdoc  /t/1447130/definitive-bp-7001scs-compared-to-bp-8060-8080s#post_22740606

Hi...

Does anyone out there have any first hand experience comparing the 7001sc's to the 8060 or 8080's. I haven't been able to listen to them side by side and would like some feedback from those who have. I have seen mixed reviews with some saying the older 7001's were superior and better built...others saying the imaging and transparency of the newer models is better. I already have a supercube reference sub so the bottom of the bottom end is covered.

They are going into a large (22 x 32 w 12' ceilings) multipurpose HT / listening room ( see layout below) and will be used 50/50 for HT and critical listening. I mainly listen to classical and jazz. I can get either the 7001's or the 8060's for about the same price.

I am also looking at the Gallo reference 3.5's and Monitor GX200's if anyone has any experience with those as well.

I really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks !

The BP7001SC should play much louder and will have a better subwoofer section then the 8060's, however, I really enjoyed the mids and the highs on the BP8060, especially the mids, they seemed to have a litte more weight to the sound and blended better beween the sub and mids.. I've heard BP8080 and didn't like them. The lower mids seemed bloated. Could have been the setup since they were really close to other demo speakers... With your 50/50 split and room size, I think the BP8080's might be best, but you'll need to demo them. If you would have stated 70%+ for home theater I would have recommended the BP7001SC.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I think I would still recommend the BP7001SC even if your movie/music is 50/50. Not too many quality classical recordings anyway but that depends on what you are looking for. I lean more towards neo-classical and there is very little of that that goes beyond 48k stereo. The best I have right now is the Previn\LSO recording of Holst and the Thielemann\Wiener Philharmoniker Beethoven series. Still looking for a quality recording of Respighi's " Roman Trilogy." You'll find a bit more Mozart, Bach, and Beethoven in multi-channel. Of course you'll have to give the BP7001SC's a good bit of amp power. The difference was night & day when I want from 150 watts to 400 watts on my 7000SC. No difference in the top section between 7000SC and 7001SC but the subwoofer section IS different.

Only real way to demo the 7000SC or 7001SC is to find someone that opens their home to demos. I'd look for local A/V resellers to audition the 8xxx series. Not Magnolia but a B&M that have dedicated theater rooms set up.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by truwarrior22  /t/1447130/definitive-bp-7001scs-compared-to-bp-8060-8080s#post_22747138

Jevans,

What 150 watt amp did you have? My Denon 2808 does really well compared to my NAD M25. I didn't are for the XPA-1's I had.

I was referring to my Denon AVR-5308ci AVR. HT Labs put it at 207 watts for two channels and 146/141 watts for 5/7 channels. Pretty close to the 150w/channel rating from Denon. Tried the Emotiva XPA-5 as a replacement for the Denon with 5.x/7.x but it didn't make much of a difference. Decided to actually buy one when I decided to get the Denon upgrade and go 9.x plus A/B surrounds. Ended up getting the XPR-5 when I saw it. THAT made a difference. LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts