AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realise that there have been many posts talking about the comparative compatibility of various S/PDIF outputs, and yet, somehow, I'm still confused!

In the next week or so, I'm building HTPC 2.0. I've had 1.0 for a while, and after spending some time in this forum, I've come to realise that it kinda sucks!

I'd like to get DTS signals out of the soundcard that I ultimately choose. I've currently got an Audigy and an SB Live Platinum 5.1, but neither system is currently fully configured to watch DVDs. If my existing stuff will give me DTS, great. If I've gotta get a Zoltrix or Philips or M-Audio card, then so be it, but I'd like to avoid spending the bucks on the M-Audio if I can help it.

I'd really appreciate recommendations from people who are actually seeing the DTS indicator illuminate from their HTPC source! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I use a SB Live 5.1 with no problems using SPDIF pass thru, But will be upgrading to M-Audio because the sound quality will be better, I am thinking about the Delta 410.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I am very interested in the Delta 410. Could someone that actually has this card running give a quick "Dummies" guide to how the setup works on this? IOW, stick the card in, connect x to x and then tell your software DVD player to use x, etc.

Or even a link to such a thing. TIA :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you check with the DVD player software you'll be using, the compatibility list might tell you. For instance, for PowerDVD, I got:

http://www.gocyberlink.com/english/p..._comp_list.jsp

Quote:
Audio Devices

PCI interface

Avance Logic ALS300 +(supports 4/6 speaker and S/PDIF output)

CMI 8338/8738 (supports 4/6 speaker and S/PDIF output)

Creative SoundBlaster Audigy family (supports 4/6 speaker and S/PDIF output)

Creative SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 family (supports 4/6 speaker and S/PDIF output)

Creative SoundBlaster Live! Family (supports 4 speaker and S/PDIF output)

Creative CT5880 (supports 4 speaker and S/PDIF output)

Crystal 4630 (supports 4/6 speaker and S/PDIF output)

ESS Canyon3D (supports 4/6 speaker and S/PDIF output)

ESS Allegro (supports 4 speaker and S/PDIF output)

ESS Solo-1

ForteMedia 801AU (supports 4/6 speaker output and S/PDIF output)

Philips/VLSI Thunder Bird Q3D (supports 4 speaker output and S/PDIF)

Philips/VLSI Thunder Bird Avenger (supports 4/6 speaker output and S/PDIF)

Yamaha YMF743 (supports 4 speaker and S/PDIF output)

Yamaha YMF744 (supports 4 speaker and S/PDIF output)

Yamaha YMF754 (supports 4 speaker and S/PDIF output)

VIA/IC Emsemble Envy24: Midiman Delta410 & TerraTec DMX 6 Fire (supports 4 speaker and S/PDIF output)

USB interface

TI TUSB3200c (support 6 speaker)

KC Technology KC2178 (supports SPDIF output)

AC97

Analog devices AD1885/1886 (supports 4/6 speaker and S/PDIF output)

Avalce Logic ALS201 (supports 4 speaker and S/PDIF output)

VIA VT1616 (supports 6 speaker and S/PDIF output)

VIA VT1612 (supports S/PDIF output)

SigmaTel STAC9756 (supports S/PDIF output)

SiS 7018 (supports S/PDIF output)

Other generic two channel AC97 codecs

Others

NVidia nForce MCP-D (supports 4/6 speaker and S/PDIF output)
I'm not sure, but I think all the devices with "(supports SPDIF output)" should support DTS bistream over SPDIF, decoded in a pre/pro or receiver.

-M

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
For sheer sound quality the M-Audio line of cards can't be beat. I own a Delta Dio & love it, it sounds MUCH better than my SB Live. I use the optical output to my Yamaha RX-V1 fro DD, DTS and PCM passthru.

·
Registered
120 Posts
For sheer sound quality, the M-Audio line of cards can be beat. Just try the RME Hammerfall Digi9636 with the ADI-8 Pro and I bet you won't be disappointed.

Perhaps it would be better to say "Within their given price ranges, the M-Audio line of cards can't be beat."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.