Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am very interested in saving tons of money by buying Internet Direct but I would like to research all of the possible options before I possibly “waste†money having to ship something back. Thus I have decided to start this thread. I did a search and could not find a similar thread. If there is then this thread can be closed after a link is posted to that other thread.

Enough with the lawyer speak. Here is the list that I have so far, in alphabetical order:

Direct Only Speakers:
Adire Audio
Aperion Audio
Ascend Acoustics
Audio Concepts, Inc.
Axiom Loudspeakers
Cambridge Soundworks
Green Mountain Audio
Home Theatre Direct
Odyssey Audio
Onix at AV123
RAD Loudspeakers
Swan Speaker Systems available from The Audio Insider
Wraith Speakers

B&M and Direct Speakers:
NHT Loudspeakers

Direct Only Subwoofers:
HSU Research
SV Subwoofers

Direct Only Amplifiers:
Odyssey Audio
Outlaw Audio
Gem Stone Audio

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Hmm,

Lots of speaker companies 'let' you buy them direct. Does that make it direct?

**********, solspeak.com, magnepan.com, aperionaudio.com, audioc.com, ascendacoustics.com, axiomaudio.com, fluance.com, hsuresearch.com, svsubwoofers.com, streemspeakers.com, and a few more that I can't think of at the moment.

Just remember, buying internet direct doesn't mean your getting more speaker, just paying less for a speaker that would 'theoretically' cost the same without middleman markup.

However that doesn't mean that a $500 'brand name' speaker is worse than a $500 'internet name' speaker.

Seth

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sethwas

Just remember, buying internet direct doesn't mean your getting more speaker, just paying less for a speaker that would 'theoretically' cost the same without middleman markup.

However that doesn't mean that a $500 'brand name' speaker is worse than a $500 'internet name' speaker.

Seth
quite true. ask many owners of these net direct spkrs, [hell, even ask the company reps] about what companies they respect, and what other B&M spkrs are worth auditioning, and you'll be pleasantly surprised with their responses.

and, i think NHT can also be bought online at www.nhthifi.com

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Lots of speaker companies 'let' you buy them direct. Does that make it direct?
I'm sure he means the companies that manufacture and sell direct on the INTERNET only. There by DEFINITELY cutting out the middleman and their respective mark ups.

NOT a Magnepan or Solspeak (AAD Speakers) and others that sell both to distribution/B&M and only INTERNET direct if there is no distribution in the area. This arrangement will not benefit the customer price wise as Magnepan or whatever company will not sell at a lower price over the INTERNET than what they charge retail in the B&M stores. If they did.... they would lose their distribution customer base in a heartbeat.

Quote:
Just remember, buying INTERNET direct doesn't mean your getting more speaker, just paying less for a speaker that would 'theoretically' cost the same without middleman markup.
I disagree.... All things being equal, the VALUE received by buying INTERNET direct (ACI, AXIOM, ASCEND, AV123, etc.) is far superior than what you will usually get from a B&M product that has gone through the normal manufacture into distribution, then to the B&M chain of mark ups. Not to mention all of the advertising that usually accompanies that type of product, which gets paid for by the end user as well.

I guess you can interpret value in any number of ways. To me, I feel that you get MUCH more for your dollar buying INTERNET direct from the actual manufacturer.

Just my .02

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
There are lots to the equation. For an interesting aspect to it, listen to Mark from AV123 video interview on the Secrets web site. They have a factory in China that several (unnamed) high profile speaker makers are using to manufacture speakers. The point is that every link in the chain (manufacturer, distributor-don't forget them-dealer-salesman) have a stake in the sale. If a big speaker manufacture uses their effective economy of scale, they MIGHT be able to deliver a product through B/M stores for a more competitive price than the Internet direct, but their manufacturing costs would have to make up for some of the middleman (at least distributor/dealer). They also may have an advantage on returns since it would be assumed that the B/M will be auditioning before purchase and some Internets may not and have 30 day return policies.

That being said (and it is all just my opinion and as they say, I could be wrong), speaker building seems to be both science and art, and a good designer that markets through B/M (or a large company that uses its clout to get parts or specially designed drivers) may market a speaker that exceeds more expensively manufactured speakers sold direct.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Outlaw Z

Hello,

I am very interested in saving tons of money by buying Internet Direct

Well, looks like the marketing worked! :)

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by quadriverfalls

I disagree.... All things being equal, the VALUE received by buying INTERNET direct (ACI, AXIOM, ASCEND, AV123, etc.) is far superior than what you will usually get from a B&M product that has gone through the normal manufacture into distribution, then to the B&M chain of mark ups. Not to mention all of the advertising that usually accompanies that type of product, which gets paid for by the end user as well.

I guess you can interpret value in any number of ways. To me, I feel that you get MUCH more for your dollar buying INTERNET direct from the actual manufacturer.
Man, the marketing REALLY worked :)

I guess that's why fisherman take different bait for different types of fish. As long as the hook sinks in.......

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Randybes
There are lots to the equation. For an interesting aspect to it, listen to Mark from AV123 video interview on the Secrets web site. They have a factory in China that several (unnamed) high profile speaker makers are using to manufacture speakers.
I agree. Yet, there is a large cost to maintaining a distributorship. Another advantage to the direct model is that you have better data management ability. You can quickly find out what sells, what marketing works, and you can keep inventory lower.

My guess (truly a guess) is that the consumer saves some money, but not as much as he thinks, and some of the profit that would go to the middle man goes to the manufacturer. This allows the Internet company to stay in business with less volume.

Personally, I think niche markets are the ones most likely to benefit from the Internet direct model.

But I may be wrong.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Man, the marketing REALLY worked

I guess that's why fisherman take different bait for different types of fish. As long as the hook sinks in.......
Would you care to debate this issue or state your opinion INTELLIGENTLY and with aplomb? If not, a flippant comment like that is a waste of everyones time, and we would appreciate you not gracing us with your wisdom.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
My 2c on value (please don't take this as my final stance, I'm just trying to get a small point in as few words as possible):

costs are costs. A Japanese speaker brand which in a floundering economy costs the same as US internet brand by saving money. Which is the better $500 speaker. The japanese one that has japanese parts that gets away with market pricing strategies or the US one that has chinese parts that gets away with lower labor costs.

Who pays what and how much and where means nothing. You can get great deals in closeouts and ebay and garage sales. So the price you pay towards the seller for the product you are getting is not necesarily value.

The point is which sounds better for the same cash. Here internet companies do not excel. They just have lower out the door prices. Does that make them better or worse?

Case in point. A jaguar sedan costs $50k, a hyundai sedan costs $20k. Which is the better car? Well, the hyundai is better built, has a better warranty, isn't repair prone, and doesn't depreciate as highly as the jag. But the jag has better parts, better fit and finish, drives nicer, and has heritage. Which is the better value? Dunno, but I don't have $50k to spend on a car so I'm only looking at hyundais anyway. :)

Seth

P.S. I have a full yamaha speaker setup (except sub). The MSRP on my setup is like $1500 for 4 floorstanders, 2 bookshelves and a center. I paid maybe a grand and it was at several internet stores who probably have showrooms and things weren't on sale. If I could beat my current setup I would, but for a grand you'd be hard pressed even with internet companies to do better. Besides, not many internet brands have mahogany or piano black finishes.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Personally, I think niche markets are the ones most likely to benefit from the Internet direct model. Time will tell.
Swampfox:

I agree the niche market is where the INTERNET direct companies got their starts... But, I think as more an more of the REALLY good B&M's fall by the way side as the big box superstores squeeze them out, the heart of the good B&M's that we always patronized... the knowledgeable salesmen and ownership that catered to and espoused customer service above all else, are a dying breed.

In times past, you could go into your typical B&M and spend HOURS, just talking audio with your favorite salesman. He not only knew everything about what he carried, but the competition as well. He also looked to satisfy your interest and needs whether he carried the product or directed you to another shop that did.

Now, it seems, the only ones left are the super high end "boutiques" that cater to the mega thousand dollar crowd. The "middle class" so to speak of the audio and HT world are being forced into CC, BB or more and more, turning to the INTERNET.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Quote:

Now, it seems, the only ones left are the super high end "boutiques" that cater to the mega thousand dollar crowd. The "middle class" so to speak of the audio and HT world are being forced into CC, BB or more and more, turning to the INTERNET.
What makes you think that mid-fi isn't a niche market. ;)

·
Registered
729 Posts
These conversations often remind me of the old arguments between people who bought domestic cars and debased cheaper foreign cars for being poorly made and unreliable (maybe because they thought it was true, maybe because they were patriotic, and maybe because they were defending their purchases). And here we are 30 years later and the bestselling car in all categories are foreign. Maybe it isn't the best analogy, just kind of interesting if you recall those debates.

As an aside I own a set of 'internet direct speakers' and a much more costly set of 'B&M only' speakers. They're all incredible, I'll let you guess which was the better value.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Swampfox
What makes you think that mid-fi isn't a niche market. ;)
I didn't say that it wasn't.... At least, I don't think I did...LOL

I was just agreeing with your post totally and started reminiscing a little about the kind of service we USED to be able to get at B&M's. Which has been replaced to a large degree by the INTERNET companies and their excellent customer service.

:)

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Quote:
I didn't say that it wasn't.... At least, I don't think I did...LOL

I was just agreeing with your post totally and started reminiscing a little about the kind of service we USED to be able to get at B&M's. Which has been replaced to a large degree by the INTERNET companies and their excellent customer service.

I live in a city the size of Indy. Our only mid-fi store closed last year. There is no market for a high end store. The whole concept of auditioning audio equipment is as quaint as a milk box.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.