AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to mount my 50" plasma TV over the fireplace and I really like how the Mythos 6 speakers seem to 'frame' the TV. I would need two 6's (LF, RF) and one 7 (center) if I understand the DT Mythos series. Are there other speakers out there- be it other DT speakers or another manufacturer- that would have this same appearance and be better for A- sound, B- price? I've only started to research speakers and read forums and already I'm confused about the pros and cons. Bottom line, I want to get my money's worth and don't want to overspend due to my own ignorance. I want on-wall speakers and something long and slender. I've even thought about having another pair of 6's on the back wall for the rears thinking that if I listen to music that I'll have 4 equal speakers to enjoy. The room is the main family room, a rectangle that is roughly 22ft x 16ft, with one long wall opening up to the kitchen. Honestly, I feel like the options are almost endless so I need someone's expertise to tell me the good and bad of my choices. Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mademlin99 /forum/post/18213783

I'd like to mount my 50" plasma TV over the fireplace and I really like how the Mythos 6 speakers seem to 'frame' the TV. I would need two 6's (LF, RF) and one 7 (center) if I understand the DT Mythos series. Are there other speakers out there- be it other DT speakers or another manufacturer- that would have this same appearance and be better for A- sound, B- price? I've only started to research speakers and read forums and already I'm confused about the pros and cons. Bottom line, I want to get my money's worth and don't want to overspend due to my own ignorance. I want on-wall speakers and something long and slender. I've even thought about having another pair of 6's on the back wall for the rears thinking that if I listen to music that I'll have 4 equal speakers to enjoy. The room is the main family room, a rectangle that is roughly 22ft x 16ft, with one long wall opening up to the kitchen. Honestly, I feel like the options are almost endless so I need someone's expertise to tell me the good and bad of my choices. Many thanks in advance.

Hey,

Here is a good review of the Paragigm cinema 330. I know the speakers come in black and silver. I've listened to both lines and just felt that the mythos series sounds much better. I thought the highs were more crisp and i think the middle is little fuller and i like the mythos line looks better.

But in the end you really need to get out there and audition the speakers your going to buy. Sound is very subjective. It took me months to pick speakers and i went a completely different rout.

http://hometheatermag.com/completesystems/806system/

Hitachi 55HDT79

DISH VIP722

Sony BDP-S500

Nintendo Wii

Pioneer SC-25

Definitive Technology Studio Monitor350's F L/R

Definitive Technology C/L/R 2300 C

Definitive Technology BPX Surrounds

Sony SA-W3000 Sub (Temp)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know I need to get out and listen to various options, i'm just always overwhelmed when the salesperson flips back and forth between speakers. At home I'll have a totally different room configuration and wonder if I'll hear the subtle differences, i.e the difference in cost. I really want to go with on-wall speakers but I don't want big boxes hanging off the wall. Seems like the Mythos line is an attractive package but they better sound worth the price. I read about other Mythos #'s but don't see a lot on 6's and 7's. Are these older models or just not very popular?

No one has commented yet on having 4 of the same speakers in the room, both fronts and both rears. Is this overkill? Seems like it would be for just watching movies but when listening to music it would have to be better, yes/no?

·
Registered
191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mademlin99 /forum/post/18216433

I moved this question to another area, thinking it would be better for responses.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...25807&page=544

Thanks for the comments here.

Honestly for a room your size I think the mythos six may be too small. I think you need at minimum 4 1/2 drivers for the L/C/R

You don't have to get the same speaker all the way around. When you listen to movies your center channel handles about 50% of the burden and your rears are only handeling the surround effects.

When you listen to music most people use 2 channel stero and use only the front left/right.

Also, what is your budget? that may help us figure out what to suggest.

Take Care

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Budget, that's a good question. I always seem to have one when I start shopping and then end up somehow forgetting what my limit was. Granted, I don't think I can justify speakers that are $500/ea but then again I don't expect to get $99 speakers that sound like $1000. I've heard to invest the most in the center speaker, then the fronts, then the rears. If that is true, I'll look at other mythos options and keep asking questions. Thanks for your comment.

·
Registered
38 Posts
So gentlemen i am replacing my kef kht6000 LCR and need a new L/C/R, here are the speakers i like. What is my best bet?(i have 2 supercube 3s) and the Elite SC-LX501 Receiver.

Mythos 6
B&W 684 S2
Klipsch RP-260F
Klipsch R-28
Definitive BP6
Klipsch RP-250F
SVS Primetower

thank you

·
Registered
28,457 Posts
Mythos 6
B&W 684 S2
Klipsch RP-260F
Klipsch R-28
Definitive BP6
Klipsch RP-250F
SVS Primetower
From that list, the RP-250F if HT is your main usage. The B&W if music.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.