AVS Forum banner

39621 - 39640 of 41581 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Gentle cycle and let dry outside
Awesome thanks! You think moving the 9020’s back is a good idea? Or just leave the BP2X’s? Was considering wiring LFE to the 9020’s in the back as well.

Reactions: ALtlOff

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Awesome thanks! You think moving the 9020’s back is a good idea? Or just leave the BP2X’s? Was considering wiring LFE to the 9020’s in the back as well.
Running the 9020's with LFE depends on your Sub situation, at first I'd run them with just speaker wire to see how you like a more full range/sounding surround speaker, then decide if you want to experiment or not.

Most of us who run full range, or close to it, surrounds, will never go back unless forced to.

I don't remember the rest of your setup, but BP30's, CLR3000 and 9020's is a pretty potent system, while you're experimenting, try running everything Full Range / Large, just to see what you think, all of those speakers will take it, and all you'll have to do is tweak the bass control on the 9020's.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Running the 9020's with LFE depends on your Sub situation, at first I'd run them with just speaker wire to see how you like a more full range/sounding surround speaker, then decide if you want to experiment or not.

Most of us who run full range, or close to it, surrounds, will never go back unless forced to.

I don't remember the rest of your setup, but BP30's, CLR3000 and 9020's is a pretty potent system, while you're experimenting, try running everything Full Range / Large, just to see what you think, all of those speakers will take it, and all you'll have to do is tweak the bass control on the 9020's.
Now my setup is; BP30’s and CLR3000 up front with BPX sides and BP2X rears. I also have PM 800’s on the ceiling for Atmos and my sub is a very capable HSU VTF-15H MK 2. I’m going to move the 9020’s back tomorrow and mess around with it. I’ll also try running everything full range as you suggested to see how I like it. Thanks man.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Now my setup is; BP30’s and CLR3000 up front with BPX sides and BP2X rears. I also have PM 800’s on the ceiling for Atmos and my sub is a very capable HSU VTF-15H MK 2. I’m going to move the 9020’s back tomorrow and mess around with it. I’ll also try running everything full range as you suggested to see how I like it. Thanks man.
Since you have everything, it'll only take time to experiment, so why not.
If you can I'd also experiment with the 9020's as your surrounds, and BPX's as your rears, may work, may not, but I at least think it's worth a try if you can.

Also, with the BPX's in the mix, try a 40Hz crossover as well, all of those speakers should play well with that, esp if you think the bass is a little muddy with Large, but like the fullness sound otherwise
Good luck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Something to realise is that besides personal taste and speaker type, bass is very room dependant and no "one" setup is correct. Personally I run my 2000's Full Range, and LFE only to my Subs.... Butt I have a large room, 8 BP2000's and 5 Subs, so there's no way my settings would reflect anyone else's situation.

If you want to take the time too tweak your bass, start with making sure your Subs are placed optimally for your space and speaker positioning, and then just take the time to play with many different settings and setups.

You're in a unique situation as the BP2000 is actually one of the few Supertowers where the built in Sub rivals many stand alone offerings and gives you a few extra tweaking options that most speakers don't. Give us a diagram of the space and we can give you some input if you like.
WOW 8 def techs that should have some incredible dynamic range! I would rather run mine large to further smooth out response but my new yammy rsxa3070 did away with both setting for bass management, Yamaha said that if the front were large and I used extra bass setting to get bass sent to subs in 2 channel listening it wouldn't be full bass signal. I tried it sucks, so I went traditional route of small front x-over at 80hz.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hello everyone...

I have a surround sound question, if you all can help me. I have a dedicated home theater with an AT screen. I'm using a pair of BP9060s as the left and right channel speakers, and a CS9060 as the center channel. I am currently running 7.1 using bookshelf speakers for the surround and rear surround. I would like to use in-wall speakers to replace the bookshelf speakers and and in-ceiling speakers to add 4 Atmos channels and upgrade to 7.1.4. I have an Integra DRX-7.1, which (despite a stupid name) has 9 channels of amplification on board and pre-outs/decoding ability for 2 more (I'll add an external amp for the last two channels).

Here's where I'm looking for help. My budget at this moment is about $2000. Everything is pre-wired, so installation costs can be assumed to be zero. I've been shopping Def Tech speakers but I don't know if I should go with DT or DI series.

We have a pair of the DI 6.5LCRs installed in a different room, and we love them. However, the cost of 4 of them for my surround and rear surround speakers will use my entire budget. On the other hand, if I use DT 6.5LCRs, I'll have enough money left over to buy the 4 Atmos speakers, and the amp to drive them. I've always disrespected the value of good surround speakers, and I find myself wondering if this is the time to stop doing it.

So in summary, has anyone run DI or DT in-walls as surround and rear surround speakers and can share experiences? And second, has anyone run (round) DI or DT in-ceilings as Atmos speakers, and can share experiences?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Hello everyone...

I have a surround sound question, if you all can help me. I have a dedicated home theater with an AT screen. I'm using a pair of BP9060s as the left and right channel speakers, and a CS9060 as the center channel. I am currently running 7.1 using bookshelf speakers for the surround and rear surround. I would like to use in-wall speakers to replace the bookshelf speakers and and in-ceiling speakers to add 4 Atmos channels and upgrade to 7.1.4. I have an Integra DRX-7.1, which (despite a stupid name) has 9 channels of amplification on board and pre-outs/decoding ability for 2 more (I'll add an external amp for the last two channels).

Here's where I'm looking for help. My budget at this moment is about $2000. Everything is pre-wired, so installation costs can be assumed to be zero. I've been shopping Def Tech speakers but I don't know if I should go with DT or DI series.

We have a pair of the DI 6.5LCRs installed in a different room, and we love them. However, the cost of 4 of them for my surround and rear surround speakers will use my entire budget. On the other hand, if I use DT 6.5LCRs, I'll have enough money left over to buy the 4 Atmos speakers, and the amp to drive them. I've always disrespected the value of good surround speakers, and I find myself wondering if this is the time to stop doing it.

So in summary, has anyone run DI or DT in-walls as surround and rear surround speakers and can share experiences? And second, has anyone run (round) DI or DT in-ceilings as Atmos speakers, and can share experiences?

Thanks!
In my previous home, I had 4 of the DT 6.5R used in a 5.1.4 setup. My ceilings were lower (standard condo height) and my living room was smaller space. They were good for that scenario and I was pleased.

When I moved to my new home, it had vaulted ceilings around 15' and the spacing was farther out for top middle and top rear. I didn't feel I was getting enough oomph from the ceilings, so decided to get the newer DI but also the 8's (I mostly pulled the trigger because I accidentally damaged one of them and used that as an excuse to justify). It made a slight noticeable impact to the ears, but honestly since they are in ceiling and not pumping out critical sound it was not something most people would notice unless looking for it.

Audyssey found the -3dB point of the DT6.5R at about 120hz and they had to be boosted more obviously. The DI8R were able to hit 80hz. I know that most Atmos mixes aren't authored for that low anyway (yet?) and 120hz was fine, but I just wanted to have a little more headroom and flexibility to play around and future proof.

The DI's are supposed better/newer but I would say it depends on pricing.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Hello everyone...

Thanks!
For Surrounds and Rears, you'll be fine with the DT 6.5LCR's.

If it were me, for $2000.00 I'd go to e-bay and pick up 4 DT 6.5LCR open box from Best Buy, then 4 DT 8r referb's from the DefTech store, that would leave you $980 for a 2,3 or even 5 channel amp for your Mains and let the receiver power the rest.

(You could actually get the above mentioned speakers and an Emotiva BassX-5, end up with better power for your Mains and still have $400+ left over.)
Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
6,818 Posts
And second, has anyone run (round) DI or DT in-ceilings as Atmos speakers, and can share experiences?

Yes, I run the DI8R in-ceiling as Atmos speakers, and also for music upmixing - and I think they are very good. Overkill, could have gone 6.5" instead of the 8", but price was great and they blend nicely with my other not DefTech speakers. :)

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Saw this thread and I knew exactly what to say. Just picked up a pair of outdoor aw6500’s. They arrived 2 days ago but I’m not home, I’m on vacation so I’m super excited to hook them up and have a listen when I get home 😁 does anyone have any experience with these speakers? Maybe what to expect from them or how to set them up for the best sound possible?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yes, I run the DI8R in-ceiling as Atmos speakers, and also for music upmixing - and I think they are very good. Overkill, could have gone 6.5" instead of the 8", but price was great and they blend nicely with my other not DefTech speakers. :)
Thank you all for the responses. I've settled on DT6.5 LCRs for the surrounds. Still waffling between DT 8's or 6.5s for Atmos. Will report back when the project is nearing completion. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Gentlemen so I am going to buy a new pair of towers and matching center. Am I better off with mythos sts or bp9060, I also own 2 sc2000's. It will be used for movies 95% of the time, are the sts worth the difference? Thanks

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Gentlemen so I am going to buy a new pair of towers and matching center. Am I better off with mythos sts or bp9060, I also own 2 sc2000's. It will be used for movies 95% of the time, are the sts worth the difference? Thanks
Personally, I prefer the BP line if you have space for them, IMO they have more depth in they're overall tone.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Personally, I prefer the BP line if you have space for them, IMO they have more depth in they're overall tone.

I'd have to agree. Granted I've only heard the Mythos line at Best Buy and it was clear they were not set up optimally. None the less my impression was they were designed for WAF rather than sound quality.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello All!

First time poster here.... I'll start by saying "thanks" to all of you who contribute to this site!

I plan to upgrade my 10 year old Home Theatre and go with Atmos. I am looking for your opinions/suggestions please.

* I will watch movies 80% of the time, and play music 20% of the time.
* Room is rectangular: 13' x 23' x 9' high (I cannot do 7.1 effectively, so only seek to do 5.1)
* looking to do 5.1.4 (with 4 in-ceiling speakers)
* The one component I have that I think is worth keeping is a Kliptsch SW-450 (10"/450Watt) subwoofer.

So far I am planning (there is a fantastic sale for the Marantz and for the BP9020's right now)

Fronts: Definitive Tech. BP9020
Center: Definitive Tech. CS9040
Backs: Definitive Tech. SR9040

Kliptsch SW-450 10" 450 watt
Marantz 6012

The BP9020's are on such good sale, I really can't afford to jump to the BP9040's (or better) unless also on sale.

* Any thoughts on if I should do 4.5" ceiling, 6.5", or 8" Ceiling speakers?
* Any thoughs on if I should stretch for SR9080's and/or CS9060 ?

Thanks in advance for any feedback/suggestions!

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Hello All!

First time poster here.... I'll start by saying "thanks" to all of you who contribute to this site!

I plan to upgrade my 10 year old Home Theatre and go with Atmos. I am looking for your opinions/suggestions please.

* I will watch movies 80% of the time, and play music 20% of the time.
* Room is rectangular: 13' x 23' x 9' high (I cannot do 7.1 effectively, so only seek to do 5.1)
* looking to do 5.1.4 (with 4 in-ceiling speakers)
* The one component I have that I think is worth keeping is a Kliptsch SW-450 (10"/450Watt) subwoofer.

So far I am planning (there is a fantastic sale for the Marantz and for the BP9020's right now)

Fronts: Definitive Tech. BP9020
Center: Definitive Tech. CS9040
Backs: Definitive Tech. SR9040

Kliptsch SW-450 10" 450 watt
Marantz 6012

The BP9020's are on such good sale, I really can't afford to jump to the BP9040's (or better) unless also on sale.

* Any thoughts on if I should do 4.5" ceiling, 6.5", or 8" Ceiling speakers?
* Any thoughs on if I should stretch for SR9080's and/or CS9060 ?

Thanks in advance for any feedback/suggestions!
Sorry that I'll probably bust your budget, but I would do at least 6.5"s in the ceiling and go up in both Center and Surrounds, reason being that those items will last you through further upgrades, esp the in-ceilings.

IMO, I'd rank the importance of the others in this order:
1. The in-ceiling, do them once and be done.
2. The Center, the 9060 will match up well with most L-R upgrade options if you stick with newer models.
3. The Surrounds, these would be easier to upgrade at a later date. Plus if and when you do upgrade your Fronts, they wouldn't be as much of a financial loss to resell and use your 9020's as future surrounds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks ALtlOff! Great feedback.

1. The in-ceiling, do them once and be done.
The in-ceiling speaker size was my biggest 'gap' in research. So 6.5" Speakers sound like the way to go. (I also see that @keeper posted recently and endorsed the 6.5").

2. The Center, the 9060 will match up well with most L-R upgrade options if you stick with newer models.
3. The Surrounds, these would be easier to upgrade at a later date. Plus if and when you do upgrade your Fronts, they wouldn't be as much of a financial loss to resell and use your 9020's as future surrounds.
Both of these I can do budget-wise, stepping-up on them doesn't cost an awful lot. What I don't get though is how they will help? I see significant differences when I look the speakers up on paper, but I'm not sure what the audio difference would be?

Best Regards,
Todd

·
Registered
92 Posts
Need new socks - - - - ?

I've owned my BP2000s since 97 (I think) , they've been on an eighteen year road trip, going from Ohio to Fla., to SC, and recently back to Ohio this last March. On this last trip the socks were damaged from rubbing against something in the truck and I'm curious, if given their age and the fact that they have been out of production forever, can replacement socks be found ? Just unwrapped them ,(had to build a new room) and I hope the socks are my only problem.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I've owned my BP2000s since 97 (I think) , they've been on an eighteen year road trip, going from Ohio to Fla., to SC, and recently back to Ohio this last March. On this last trip the socks were damaged from rubbing against something in the truck and I'm curious, if given their age and the fact that they have been out of production forever, can replacement socks be found ? Just unwrapped them ,(had to build a new room) and I hope the socks are my only problem.
Call dt and ask. I doubt they still have replacements as I have asked for bp3000s and they were out of them. A seamstress should have no problem making replacements as the material can easily be obtained.

39621 - 39640 of 41581 Posts