AVS Forum banner

41881 - 41900 of 41934 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
How do you have the speakers connected? Speaker wire or speaker wire plus LFE (RCA connector)?
I tried it both ways. The manual said that if I wanted them to act like full range then to just hook it up without the LFE, or if I wanted it to act like a sub then use the LFE. I know the LFE channel works coming out of the receiver, b/c I have several different subs and they all work but the STS's. I just find it hard to believe they would both be out. I did take a gamble on these when I purchased them, I knew that going in because I had to buy them without hearing them. The good news is that the other drivers in the towers sound great and I have subs so it is really no big deal. I just wanted to see if I could get them working.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Ok DT gurus, I’m back! Soooo, some of you may remember I sold my BP8080 towers and found a great deal I couldn’t pass up on some new Canton Towers and Center speaker. I’ve had them for 8 to 9 months now I guess and they are great speakers (don’t get me wrong) but I have discovered that when I turn them up to -20 or lower in the AVR that they hurt my ears? I’m assuming that is what is known as ear fatigue maybe? So I have decided that maybe they are a little too bright for me maybe and it’s time for something new. I still have my eyes on the BP9060’s and the SVS Prime Pinnacle’s. Not to mention my wife doesn’t like the chrome on the towers (so I have to leave the grills on). If they would go on sale or if I found a good deal on them I would probably go ahead and bite the bullet but part of me still wants to hear those Pinnacles before I commit to the BP towers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have you tried adjusting the EQ to see if that makes a difference? If not, those speakers aren't the most efficient out there so it's possible that they're stressing the AVR at those volumes and any introduced distortion is what's actually causing the discomfort; I had a similar situation when I demo'd Elac UB5s and ran them off of my receiver. If that's the case then leveraging the preouts on your AVR and spending much less on a 2-channel (or more if you like) amp will likely fix the issue for way less cost than an entirely new system, but you would be adding another component to the system.

That said, I completely understand the desire to change things up entirely. I personally wouldn't go back to Def Tech for a couple of reasons (chiefly price/performance and a very questionable customer service experience with some Denon [Sound United sister company] headphones) but it's still solid gear.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Have you tried adjusting the EQ to see if that makes a difference? If not, those speakers aren't the most efficient out there so it's possible that they're stressing the AVR at those volumes and any introduced distortion is what's actually causing the discomfort; I had a similar situation when I demo'd Elac UB5s and ran them off of my receiver. If that's the case then leveraging the preouts on your AVR and spending much less on a 2-channel (or more if you like) amp will likely fix the issue for way less cost than an entirely new system, but you would be adding another component to the system.

That said, I completely understand the desire to change things up entirely. I personally wouldn't go back to Def Tech for a couple of reasons (chiefly price/performance and a very questionable customer service experience with some Denon [Sound United sister company] headphones) but it's still solid gear.
Yea, I’m not sure. Also, my wife hates the chrome and silver on & around the speakers. She’d prefer it all be solid black. I’m really leaning towards the Pinnacles to be honest. I love the look of the 9060s but having to need two more power cords/outlets is inconvenient as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, looking to get some advice on upgrading some aspects for my Theater project. Thank you for any guidance in advance.

Current setup:

Marantz SR6012
Crestron amplifier
Capable of 200x5 @8ohm to the front 3 and side surrounds and 60x6 @8 ohm to the rear surrounds and 4 atmos speakers.
Center: CLR2002
Front Mains: BP7006
Side and Atmos Surrounds: Promonitor 100s
Rear Surrounds: BP1.2x
Front 3 receive 200w and all other speakers receive 60w at the moment.
Subs: SVS PB10-NSD x2
DSP Processor with 31 band PEQ per channel, time delay, etc. smoothing out the frequency response of the front 3 and the 2 subs

Everything sounds great but looking to possibly shake things up with some upgrades but looking for opinions of those that have heard and know more about the def techs in question.

Option 1:
3 CLR2002 across the front
SM350 as side surrounds
Move the BP7006 to rear surrounds

Option 2:
Mains: BP7006
Side and Rear surrounds: SM350

Option 3:
SM350s as the side and Rear surrounds
Ditch the BP7006s

I haven't considered using the BP7006s as side surrounds due to the right side of the room having a wall for the sound to reflect off of but the left side is open to another area of the room with nothing for the sound to reflect off of.

Overall looking for better depth in the lower midrange and midbass region compared to the Promonitor 100s

Last question which may be crazy but what do you think the results would be if I were to bolt 4 SM350s to the roof as atmos with a diffuser pad between the back of the speakers and the drywall to lower vibration a bit. Also would point the passive radiators inward towards the listener. That one may be considered overboard though.

Used for Movies 100% of the time

Again thanks in advance in helping me plan the next steps in the deftech journey!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
901 Posts
Hi, looking to get some advice on upgrading some aspects for my Theater project. Thank you for any guidance in advance.

Current setup:

Marantz SR6012
Crestron amplifier
Capable of 200x5 @8ohm to the front 3 and side surrounds and 60x6 @8 ohm to the rear surrounds and 4 atmos speakers.
Front Mains: BP7006
Side and Atmos Surrounds: Promonitor 100s
Rear Surrounds: BP1.2x
Front 3 receive 200w and all other speakers receive 60w at the moment.
Subs: SVS PB10-NSD x2
DSP Processor with 31 band PEQ per channel, time delay, etc. smoothing out the frequency response of the front 3 and the 2 subs

Everything sounds great but looking to possibly shake things up with some upgrades but looking for opinions of those that have heard and know more about the def techs in question.

Option 1:
SM350 as side surrounds
Move the BP7006 to rear surrounds

Option 2:
Mains: BP7006
Side and Rear surrounds: SM350

Option 3:
SM350s as the side and Rear surrounds
Ditch the BP7006s

I haven't considered using the BP7006s as side surrounds due to the right side of the room having a wall for the sound to reflect off of but the left side is open to another area of the room with nothing for the sound to reflect off of.

Overall looking for better depth in the lower midrange and midbass region compared to the Promonitor 100s

Last question which may be crazy but what do you think the results would be if I were to bolt 4 SM350s to the roof as atmos with a diffuser pad between the back of the speakers and the drywall to lower vibration a bit. Also would point the passive radiators inward towards the listener. That one may be considered overboard though.

Used for Movies 100% of the time

Again thanks in advance in helping me plan the next steps in the deftech journey!

I doubt the 2002’s will do a better job than the 7006’s. You would limit and reduce the Bass response on the main LR channels.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I doubt the 2002’s will do a better job than the 7006’s. You would limit and reduce the Bass response on the main LR channels.
I suppose the thought process behind that was my subs are both located next to each main and at the moment I have the BP7006 high passed at 40Hz. If I had the clr2002s upfront I would high pass all three at 60hz and let the subs take over from there and moving the 7006s to the rear with the smaller midranges and built in subs would maybe round out the rear with more full range by allowing the subs to possibly go lower as long as it doesn't cause cancellation with the SVS subs.

If it's best to keep the 7006s up front then rounding it out with sm350s as surrounds instead of the pm 100s would be the go I would suppose then?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
As a former owner of CLR2002/CLR3000 and SM350s/SM450s lower mids and upper bass body is not their forte. The 2002 and SM350 are both already down at least 6 db by 60 Hz (measurements at link below) so crossing over at 80 or even 100 Hz will be the best way to increase the body, and replacing the 100s (I also had ProCinema 800s at one point) would possibly yield some improvement as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for the responses, do you feel I would be wasting my time moving from the pm 100s to the sm350s as it is a law of diminishing returns for what I am looking for? When measuring my clr2002 it appeared to have useable bandwidth down to about 45-50hz so I thought that would be easy to blend into the subs and also led to the interest in the SM350s.

An example of when I notice the pm100s feel like the body of the sound is thinner, a jet flying in from rear to front, the sound of the jets have a fuller body to the sound as it approaches the front of the room and transitions to the front 3. I would like to accomplish keeping that throughout. I am going to provide my center channel pre EQ and after EQ, I am wondering if I have the same capabilities of EQ on the channels with the SM350 would I be able to achieve a similar response with the surrounds because it sounds amazing across the front three after adjustments.

Center Channel Pre EQ.jpg
Center Channel Speaker.jpg

·
Registered
59 Posts
^ good to know. That's a different than what some other posters have experienced not far back on this thread.....wait, as I write that, the off shore reports might have came from the Polk Thread. Either way, plenty of evidence that their customer services is trending in the wrong direction. Which unfortunately is a typical evolution for corp conglomerate types.
Well, here's what I'm experiencing with DT right now. I'm beyond angry with them. By far the worst customer service experience of my lifetime!:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Oh no! Definitely didn’t want to hear that! Chet and Adam both helped me several times over the last five years!

I loved my 8080s for years, but right now, I'm in the midst of the worst C/S experience of my life with DT boneheads!
They requisitioned my plates, and the speakers have been sitting sidelined for a month and a half as they've turned their back on me.
Absolutely inexcusable.

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
My Def Tech Mythos ST has been a fine companion in my living room.
The setup is.
Front Mains - Mythos ST
Center - CS-8080HD
Surround - Gem XL's
Surround Rears - Def Tech ProMonitor 1000

I'd like to add Atmos setup as well, what will be a good ceiling speaker setup for the above series? I dont mind if there are third party atmos that plays well with the setup.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
My Def Tech Mythos ST has been a fine companion in my living room.
The setup is.
Front Mains - Mythos ST
Center - CS-8080HD
Surround - Gem XL's
Surround Rears - Def Tech ProMonitor 1000

I'd like to add Atmos setup as well, what will be a good ceiling speaker setup for the above series? I dont mind if there are third party atmos that plays well with the setup.
I'm happy with the DI 8Rs

Reactions: Maddmaster

·
Registered
901 Posts
I like the DI 8R's too. I installed 4 of them. They do quite well and have a good power handling range.

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
I like the DI 8R's too. I installed 4 of them. They do quite well and have a good power handling range.
What is the dispersion axis on this drive? I think its pretty much front firing and wont spread at 120°
Also will it match with the Mythos ST?

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
Another recommendation for the DI 8R. I have four. They will match your other Def Tech speakers.
Thanks for the recommendations. I ordered 6 of these. I like the fact that they blend in with the ceiling. I was planning to use them in the living room, for the home theater i have altogether different legions and beasts.
But I still love my def tech's and they have been serving me very well for the last 12 years.

Reactions: eaayoung and pbz06

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hey guys, I've having an internal debate in my head right now and wanted to see if anyone here has done this or if it even makes logical sense to do.

Moving into a new house soon and was going to use one of the bedrooms as a temporary "media room" until I build out the official HT in the basement whenever we get around to finishing the whole basement. I have BP9020's for my mains and I also have dual SVS SB12-NSD's and I was thinking of using the LFE's on my BP9020's and running subEQ on them as well as the SVS's combined from my X4400h.

Will this really gain anything with the powered 8" subs on the BP9020's? If so, from the Y-splitters I'd use on the back of the Denon, would I connect both the DT's on one output and the SVS's on the other or would I do 1 DT and SVS on one side and then do the same on the other side? Or..... Just leave the SVS's on the sub out's and stick with speaker wire inputs on the DT's which is how I had them connected previously?

Just wanted to see if anyone has had any success with using the LFE's on the DT's combined with other subs and if it made a positive difference? Only exploring this since I'd need to run room correction in the new room anyway.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
901 Posts
Interesting. I did exactly what you're asking but with Mythos ST Towers. It really made very little difference. The only benefit (which I seldom used) was being able to adjust the sub level using the PreAmp/AVR remote. I've since moved to the ST-L and it has it's own sub remote. I never use that remote either. Save yourself the time of running a LFE cable.

Reactions: johnny hotsauce
41881 - 41900 of 41934 Posts