AVS Forum banner

41901 - 41920 of 41934 Posts

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Hey guys, I've having an internal debate in my head right now and wanted to see if anyone here has done this or if it even makes logical sense to do.

Moving into a new house soon and was going to use one of the bedrooms as a temporary "media room" until I build out the official HT in the basement whenever we get around to finishing the whole basement. I have BP9020's for my mains and I also have dual SVS SB12-NSD's and I was thinking of using the LFE's on my BP9020's and running subEQ on them as well as the SVS's combined from my X4400h.

Will this really gain anything with the powered 8" subs on the BP9020's? If so, from the Y-splitters I'd use on the back of the Denon, would I connect both the DT's on one output and the SVS's on the other or would I do 1 DT and SVS on one side and then do the same on the other side? Or..... Just leave the SVS's on the sub out's and stick with speaker wire inputs on the DT's which is how I had them connected previously?

Just wanted to see if anyone has had any success with using the LFE's on the DT's combined with other subs and if it made a positive difference? Only exploring this since I'd need to run room correction in the new room anyway.

Thanks in advance!
While I advocate for trying it yourself and experimenting, I don't think it's worthwhile trying to use the 8-inch "subs" as an LFE as well. They just won't come close to your SVS subs in performance, especially at louder volumes. You're really going to push them into distortion zones easily as they try to play the bass managed frequencies AND the LFE content (which can be an extra +10dB).

When you have good separate subwoofers, the best setup is always speaker wire only, and LFE line only to the separate subs. You can play with Large and Small/80 too, but the built in woofers are more for the speaker response and not meant to be a true replacement for actual subwoofer.

Reactions: derekmoore

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Thanks for the recommendations. I ordered 6 of these. I like the fact that they blend in with the ceiling. I was planning to use them in the living room, for the home theater i have altogether different legions and beasts.
But I still love my def tech's and they have been serving me very well for the last 12 years.
You will be happy. They have a nice solid response with the 8-inch driver and can play cleanly at loud volumes. The tweeter has some aimability, but don't expect too much. The dispersion seems a bit better than others but I wouldn't consider it "wide".

But overall I also loved their flush look and they disappear.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Hey guys, I've having an internal debate in my head right now and wanted to see if anyone here has done this or if it even makes logical sense to do.

Moving into a new house soon and was going to use one of the bedrooms as a temporary "media room" until I build out the official HT in the basement whenever we get around to finishing the whole basement. I have BP9020's for my mains and I also have dual SVS SB12-NSD's and I was thinking of using the LFE's on my BP9020's and running subEQ on them as well as the SVS's combined from my X4400h.

Will this really gain anything with the powered 8" subs on the BP9020's? If so, from the Y-splitters I'd use on the back of the Denon, would I connect both the DT's on one output and the SVS's on the other or would I do 1 DT and SVS on one side and then do the same on the other side? Or..... Just leave the SVS's on the sub out's and stick with speaker wire inputs on the DT's which is how I had them connected previously?

Just wanted to see if anyone has had any success with using the LFE's on the DT's combined with other subs and if it made a positive difference? Only exploring this since I'd need to run room correction in the new room anyway.

Thanks in advance!
I fully agree with pbz06. Dont waste your time. Those 8" woofers will roll off above 30htz vs your SVS' which should get usable output down to 20htz and below. Problem one is that they will not be optimally positioned in your room, adding unwanted nulls of their own below crossover due to room interactions. Problem two will be cancelations interacting with your SVS. Unless you can measure and PEQ you will be guessing in the dark as to how they are interacting. Problem three is that your auto EQ will only eq down to the F3 point of the weakest woofer, i.e. the 8"inchers that are not optimally placed. If you have the time and patience for REW measurements and a outboard EQ like a miniDSP then maybe trying to use them as mid-bass modules might be a worth while pursuit. YMMV.

If you feel bass has room for improvement, start a thread on the subwoofer forums. You'll get lots of great recommendations that your wife will not approve of.

Reactions: johnny hotsauce

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
I forgot to mention, I did try it out and measure too. Derek also reminded me the issue of auto EQ using the common denominator too. Also, don't forget rolling off at 75dB is a lot different than with actual content at loud movie volumes with all kinds of complex signals.

Ps mine are the 10" woofers (9060s) and they rolled off at 32hz.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thanks guys, I kinda thought that was the case but figured it wouldn’t hurt to ask. I appreciate all the explanations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: pbz06

·
Registered
183 Posts
If you feel bass has room for improvement, start a thread on the subwoofer forums. You'll get lots of great recommendations that your wife will not approve of.
Oh I definitely feel the bass has room for improvement but I'm staying the hell away from the subwoofer guys, they'll want me to end up with quad 18's or something stupid like that in my 17'x11' room LOL! Not going down that rabbit hole :p

I'll put the better stuff in the basement when we finish it and I build out an enclosed HT room and then maybe I'll get tempted with some stupid ideas from the subwoofer forums but I'll be at WAF level negative 1000 right now if I try to make the upstairs media room a bass-a-polooza 😂

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Oh I definitely feel the bass has room for improvement but I'm staying the hell away from the subwoofer guys, they'll want me to end up with quad 18's or something stupid like that in my 17'x11' room LOL! Not going down that rabbit hole :p

I'll put the better stuff in the basement when we finish it and I build out an enclosed HT room and then maybe I'll get tempted with some stupid ideas from the subwoofer forums but I'll be at WAF level negative 1000 right now if I try to make the upstairs media room a bass-a-polooza 😂
Currently, the hot recommendation is the new 21" inch subs from PSA . Just a pair should be all you need. Vented Subwoofers - Power Sound Audio

Reactions: johnny hotsauce

·
Registered
183 Posts
Currently, the hot recommendation is the new 21" inch subs from PSA . Just a pair should be all you need. Vented Subwoofers - Power Sound Audio
Why do just one pair when you can do at least 4 pair? 😂

I actually think 4 of the TV42's will be great for the WAF and at almost $20k for them all I can't see why she'd mind!

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Anyone know anything regarding the demise of the once-touted ST-L...?

·
Registered
901 Posts
I remember talking to a rep and was told the Mythos line was disconnected. The aircraft aluminum cabinets were expensive to make. I’m still loving mines.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Fantastic looking speakers. They were what I went to the store to hear in 2006.

Ended up coming home with BP7001SCs, an LCR3000, and the $500 surrounds (forget the name off hand). My budget was 5K and I stuck to it.

But looks wise, those ST-Ls were the bomb.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Definitive Owners Thread,

I am curious to see more Definitive systems around here. So lets posts pics, which speakers as well as associated equipment.

~Bob

March 30th and still nothing from the mighty SOUND UN-UNITED brand

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
The SVS black ash Pinnacles were suppose to resume shipping today. I had two of them added to the cart along with a Prime center and was about to checkout. Then I realized they now charge taxes for GA and the Pinnacles are not available now until the 27th. It’s making me lean more towards the DT BP9060’s which is the other option I’m considering but I’m waiting on them to go on sale. So, still waiting... what to do? What to do?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Have you looked into Chane?

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Have you looked into Chane?
Not really.. I’m a little familiar them but have never heard them.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Me either, but I know they are highly regarded. Definitely high on my like-to-hear list. Maybe there is an owner in ATL that would let you hear them.

Will you be looking for a matching center or you gonna keep the Canton?

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Me either, but I know they are highly regarded. Definitely high on my like-to-hear list. Maybe there is an owner in ATL that would let you hear them.

Will you be looking for a matching center or you gonna keep the Canton?
I will always have a matching center!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts

·
Registered
2,396 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I was not aware of that.